Thread: Savage 110 Tactical vs Model 10T-SR Tactical

Basic Member

Savage 110 Tactical vs Model 10T-SR Tactical

Has anyone shot both of these 2 guns and can speak to their accuracy? I've read and watched J Baker's review of the 110 Tactical as well as other YouTube videos about the 10T-SR; they seem to be equally matched. The new 110 Tactical has the benefit of the Accufit stock whereas the 10T-SR doesn't. Both are are offered in left handed versions with the 110 Tactical being a 308 and the 10T-SR being the 6.5 Creedmore. The 10T-SR is less expensive. Is the 110 Tactical worth the extra $$$?

Thoughts?

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

My 12yr old son shoots the 10t-sr. It is a Hammer at 100 yards and accurate out to a 1000 yrds. At 250 yard he works on a 3 to 4 inch plate and if he misses it's on him and he knows it. So overall we are pleased.

It next comes down to what are you going to do with it. 10t-sr comes with a 4 round mag. We upgraded to a 9 round mag ($60 + shipping) for local PRS matches. Only 9 rounds doesn't affect him yet and he is patient and working on accuracy. He averaged 6 shots in 2 minutes some of it do to the mag issues and the rest due to patience. He had problems with the mag feeding cleanly. Total invested with scope $1000. The reason we bought it is he is just getting into PRS and I wasn't going to pay big $$$ for a decent rifle. If he takes to the sport I'm upgrading him and then I'm shooting the Savage when he practices. That is the reasoning behind our purchase.

I believe the 110 comes with a 10 round aics mag and shorter barrel. If it feeds better and you were competing with it I would advise to spend the extra $$$. shoot out the barrel and then upgrade to a longer barrel if needed. If not competing and just want accuracy the 10t-sr. JMHO

As far as accuracy goes, it's going to be a wash between the two. In terms of features I think the 110 Tactical wins hands down, but the upgrades do come at a cost so it just depends on whether those upgrades are worth the extra $$ to you. Personally I think the AICS mag system and AccuStock/AccuFit combo basically make it a no-brainer as you would spend $500+ in parts upgrading the 10T-SR's stock and purchasing AICS bottom metal to get where the 110 Tactical is from the start. Yeah it sucks it's only offered in .308 or us lefties, but you can always pick up a take-off 6.5 CM barrel to screw onto it down the road.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Moose View Post
    My 12yr old son shoots the 10t-sr. It is a Hammer at 100 yards and accurate out to a 1000 yrds. At 250 yard he works on a 3 to 4 inch plate and if he misses it's on him and he knows it. So overall we are pleased.

It next comes down to what are you going to do with it. 10t-sr comes with a 4 round mag. We upgraded to a 9 round mag ($60 + shipping) for local PRS matches. Only 9 rounds doesn't affect him yet and he is patient and working on accuracy. He averaged 6 shots in 2 minutes some of it do to the mag issues and the rest due to patience. He had problems with the mag feeding cleanly. Total invested with scope $1000. The reason we bought it is he is just getting into PRS and I wasn't going to pay big $$$ for a decent rifle. If he takes to the sport I'm upgrading him and then I'm shooting the Savage when he practices. That is the reasoning behind our purchase.

I believe the 110 comes with a 10 round aics mag and shorter barrel. If it feeds better and you were competing with it I would advise to spend the extra $$$. shoot out the barrel and then upgrade to a longer barrel if needed. If not competing and just want accuracy the 10t-sr. JMHO
    What scope are you running on this gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    As far as accuracy goes, it's going to be a wash between the two. In terms of features I think the 110 Tactical wins hands down, but the upgrades do come at a cost so it just depends on whether those upgrades are worth the extra $$ to you. Personally I think the AICS mag system and AccuStock/AccuFit combo basically make it a no-brainer as you would spend $500+ in parts upgrading the 10T-SR's stock and purchasing AICS bottom metal to get where the 110 Tactical is from the start. Yeah it sucks it's only offered in .308 or us lefties, but you can always pick up a take-off 6.5 CM barrel to screw onto it down the road.
    I'm thinking along the same lines as you. The stock seems like a great upgrade to me. Are the 2 barrels the same? Is there any difference between the two of these guns?

David

Team Savage
    The barrel and action are a wash between the two. The Accufit-Accustock and AICS magazine are an welcome upgrade. I have the desert tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. All required to get sub 0.5 MOA accuracy was use supplied Accufit insert to custom fit stock, screw on a Ross muzzle break and work up a load. Barrel won't clean up as fast as a custom barrel. IMO, at a street price of around $620, it's a great value rifle. No need to upgrade the stock. No magazine feed issues. It has 1.5 - 2.5 lb Accutrigger.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    The barrel and action are a wash between the two. The Accufit-Accustock and AICS magazine are an welcome upgrade. I have the desert tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. All required to get sub 0.5 MOA accuracy was use supplied Accufit insert to custom fit stock, screw on a Ross muzzle break and work up a load. Barrel won't clean up as fast as a custom barrel. IMO, at a street price of around $620, it's a great value rifle. No need to upgrade the stock. No magazine feed issues. It has 1.5 - 2.5 lb Accutrigger.
    2 questions:

Can you get 1/2 or even 3/4 MOA accuracy with off the shelf ammo? I don't plan on reloading as I just don't have the time or energy to do it.

How much better did the muzzle brake help? Did you happen to test it with and without it?

David

All the groups shot in my review were with factory ammunition. That said, accuracy is going to very from gun to gun and barrel to barrel to some degree so comparisons like you're seeking are impossible to really answer. You can order 5 of the exact same barrel from a barrel maker and shoot the same exact factory ammo from the same lot through all of them and one or two might be real hum-dingers, one or two might be so-so and the others could pattern like a shotgun.

Barrels are like women, some are easy going and others are quite finicky. Never know which you've got until you spend some time with it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    +1 on what Jim said. I usually don't get the accuracy with factory ammo that I get with hand loads tuned to the rifle. Sometimes you get lucky. Turns out my factory 6mm Creedmoor 26" barrel shoots sub 0.5" MOA at 100 and 200 yards with tuned hand loads. Turned out Hornady Black label factory ammo with the same 105 gr BTHP Match bullet gave similar sub 0.5" MOA accuracy.

Basic Member
    THIS^^^^^
    Also the 10T-SR doesn't have a heavy barrel, but a medium contour barrel if i am not mistaking.
    I would go 110 tactical simply based on barrel thickness, stock and mag system.

Basic Member
    I got a 10T (before the SR came out) in 6.5 CM and it shoots 5/8 groups with 143 ELD-X factory loads, Winchester match and 140 eld-m hand loads.
    I am maybe just slightly better with my LRP, but it is just a better gun... It also shoots 140 ELD-M factory as good as my hand loads. I have never seen a rifle that consistently shoots factory rounds like my 6.5 Creedmoors.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastedtiger View Post
    THIS^^^^^
    Also the 10T-SR doesn't have a heavy barrel, but a medium contour barrel if i am not mistaking.
    I would go 110 tactical simply based on barrel thickness, stock and mag system.
    The barrel on the 10T is just slightly thinner than the bull barrel on my LRP, I am not sure where that puts it compared to the 110 Tactical, but it is pretty hefty.

Athlon Argos BTR 8x24 MIL 108 eld Hornady match bullets, loaded to 40.6 grains 4350, out of Hornady brass. The boy loaded them this time.

Like I stated earlier. It depends on what you want to do with it. We were out with it today 600 to 650 yrds on a 8 inch plate. Once the boy figured out the wind he was money. 4 inches and just left of center to center of the plate. He loves it, we are in no hurry to upgrade and it will be me shooting at the same range with next.
    Last edited by Bad Moose; 09-30-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Better info

Basic Member
    To me, the 110 Tactical looks like a winner. The one shortfall I see with it, and it's not a real small one, is the grip. The stock has two front swivels, which means it's majority intended use is shooting prone/off a bipod. Everyone shooting as such wants a vertical/more ergo grip and not a hunting/sporter grip. I wonder if/when Savage will address this shortcoming?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    To me, the 110 Tactical looks like a winner. The one shortfall I see with it, and it's not a real small one, is the grip. The stock has two front swivels, which means it's majority intended use is shooting prone/off a bipod. Everyone shooting as such wants a vertical/more ergo grip and not a hunting/sporter grip. I wonder if/when Savage will address this shortcoming?
    The issue you mentioned with regards to the grip is something that J Baker had commented on in his review. I hope that's not going to be an issue for me. My favorite gun that I currently use is my muzzleloader, CVA Optima, has a thumbhole stock. It's way more comfortable than anything else I have.

David

Basic Member
    Athlon Argos BTR 8x24 MIL 108 eld Hornady match bullets, loaded to 40.6 grains 4350, out of Hornady brass. The boy loaded them this time.

Like I stated earlier. It depends on what you want to do with it. We were out with it today 600 to 650 yrds on a 8 inch plate. Once the boy figured out the wind he was money. 4 inches and just left of center to center of the plate. He loves it, we are in no hurry to upgrade and it will be me shooting at the same range with next.
    Athlon Argos huh? I actually went and contacted Athlon, gave them my "requirements" and they suggested the Ares BTR.

David

Yep, We are using an Argos BTR. Here is the reasoning, this is for the 12 yr old boy who is deciding on wether or not to get into the sport. So we are not wanting to drop big$$$ on a scope that he may not want to continue with. WHen he decides to fully commit this will become my gun to shoot with him while he practices.

The next step is to upgrade guns with with a 700 footprint and aics mag. He'll run another Argos BTR for a while and then upgrade the Scope to exactly what he needs if need either Athlon or Vortex. But that is down the road. In the competition he was used 16 power.

I'm not saying it is the right scope for your needs or not. It is just what we are using and the reasoning why behind it.

Basic Member
    Yep, We are using an Argos BTR. Here is the reasoning, this is for the 12 yr old boy who is deciding on wether or not to get into the sport. So we are not wanting to drop big$$$ on a scope that he may not want to continue with. WHen he decides to fully commit this will become my gun to shoot with him while he practices.

The next step is to upgrade guns with with a 700 footprint and aics mag. He'll run another Argos BTR for a while and then upgrade the Scope to exactly what he needs if need either Athlon or Vortex. But that is down the road. In the competition he was used 16 power.

I'm not saying it is the right scope for your needs or not. It is just what we are using and the reasoning why behind it.
    Bad Moose - before you bought the Argos BTR, did actually pick it up and check it out? If you did, were you able to compare it to the Ares BTR? There's nobody who carries the Athlon lineup by me so I'd have to buy one blindly so to speak.

David

No I have not. My son's mentor directed us to it. I think he started with the Ares BTR but is now running a Vortex Razor Gen 3. He is also ranked in the top 7 for our PRS region. He knew the reasoning and stated it was a good beginers scope to start with. We picked it up for $375 with a 4 inch shade. The glass is clear and the mil dot scale is good for now. That will probably change in the future if he picks it up....

We had to add shims for the zero stop. That would be my one complaint about it, but once it has been set we have not messed with it except to re zero the knob a couple of times.

What are you trying to do with the gun and scope?

Basic Member
    For now it's going to be a range gun. The range I currently have access to is 200 yds and a buddy of mine has access to a 300 yds one. Eventually I'd like to get to 500 yds. But unfortunately, NJ doesn't have ranges that big.

David

Basic Member
    No I have not. My son's mentor directed us to it. I think he started with the Ares BTR but is now running a Vortex Razor Gen 3. He is also ranked in the top 7 for our PRS region. He knew the reasoning and stated it was a good beginers scope to start with. We picked it up for $375 with a 4 inch shade. The glass is clear and the mil dot scale is good for now. That will probably change in the future if he picks it up....

We had to add shims for the zero stop. That would be my one complaint about it, but once it has been set we have not messed with it except to re zero the knob a couple of times.

What are you trying to do with the gun and scope?
    One thing I didn't mention... If I ever go on an out of state hunt, this would be my weapon of choice. But as of right now, that's not happening anytime soon.

David

Honestly with a 300 yrd max and if it were me I'd pocket to 400 to 500 buy the Argos BTR and pocket extra or put it into the rifle. You'll only use the higher powers to verify your shots on the target. At that range we are only at 12 to 14 power. Anything higher you'll pick up a lot of mirage. JMHO.

Basic Member
    Thanks for your input. I'm seriously considering following your lead on this one. There's 2 things holding me back from going all in with the Argos. 1 - The Ares comes with a larger range of magnification that starts lower (4.5-27x50 vs 6-25x50). On the off chance that I ever take this gun hunting, the lower magnification might come in handy. 2 - The Ares comes with an MOA reticle. I've never used a MIL one and all of my other scopes are all MOA; I have no plans on changing them.

David

Basic Member
    I have 3 Athalon scopes, Including the Argos, and the argos is a really nice scope... ESPECIALLY for the money. I also have the Midas BTR 4.5-27 with the aplr1 reticle, and it is a lot better suited to hunting than the 6-24 Argos. BUT it is the old 2nd focal plane model, but I like the reticle so much that I picked up a Talos BTR 4-14 with the APLR 2. THAT IS ideal for hunting, and I love using a FFP for hunting. Now mind you it is a step down from the Midas and ESPECIALLY the Aeres, but since I have never held an Aeres, I think it must be similar to a FFP version of my Midas. I would go for that if you really want to do both hunt and target shoot and the extra money isn't an issue. It is just a better scope than the Argos.

As far as the MIL and MOA debate. I was a bit resistant to go MIL, but it is just easier. It really isn't hard to use a MIL scope and switch to an MOA. I will say that if he continues with the competitive shooting he is going to want to have a MIL scope. Most people that will spot for him (with you being the exception) is going to give corrections in MIL.

Basic Member
    If the Aeres is the goal, I have to recommend possibly getting a Burris XTR2 5-25 SCR. I did just pick one up at optics planet for $620 in a funky desert camo color. As much as I like my Athalon scopes, I have a variety of XTR2's and they are fantastic scopes. I have a couple of the 3-15 g2b's on hunting rifles and before I had them on the hunting rifles I had them on my target rifle and had no problem with them out as far as 1000 yards. I also have a 4-20 and a 5-25 both in the SCR (special competition reticle). IMO the G2B is better for hunting and obviously the SCR is better for competition.

Just a suggestion. :)