Thread: Savage Day

Team Savage

Savage Day

Had a savage day,with my new steel target.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AC52106-2902-432C-BACC-F1AF4B1B9FE5.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	420.6 KB 
ID:	5252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEEA7B49-E437-4929-83A8-E7B295F2404B.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	374.6 KB 
ID:	5253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0E352577-F955-402D-8EF9-3A7B61694EB6.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	5254

That's a nice collection of specialty pistols you've got there. What's the story on the two on the left? They're not PTA's and not LB/RP Striker actions, so did you go through the hassle to have a couple rifle actions reclassified?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    No, Those two 22-250 & a 223 was build on Nor Cal Mikie advice and I quote, Go for it There's a lot of BS about converting a rifle action to a pistol BUT, the ATF says "in writing", if the barrel is at least 16" long and the OAL of the rig is 26" long, it's still a rifle, no matter what it looks like. Any barrel shorter than 16" makes it a SBR (short barreled rifle) and you end up with issues. ATF type.I built an SP out of a left hand Model 10 repeater action with a 16" barrel and an OAL of at least 26". Works for me.

Yep, as long as you meet the length requirements no need to get them reclassified. No different than a Mini-14 with a folding buttstock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    I love this site, and appreciate what you’re doing, I’ve acquired a grate deal of firearms knowledge here. Thank you.

More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hopdoggandgunman View Post
    No, Those two 22-250 & a 223 was build on Nor Cal Mikie advice and I quote, Go for it There's a lot of BS about converting a rifle action to a pistol BUT, the ATF says "in writing", if the barrel is at least 16" long and the OAL of the rig is 26" long, it's still a rifle, no matter what it looks like. Any barrel shorter than 16" makes it a SBR (short barreled rifle) and you end up with issues. ATF type.I built an SP out of a left hand Model 10 repeater action with a 16" barrel and an OAL of at least 26". Works for me.
    Thats good info to know, and something I always thought was the way it would be interpreted. Now I’m curious about building one that way...

Basic Member
    just curious...what stock do you have on those two? And what is your overall length? I’m mainly wondering if you were able to get the overall length past 26” with a 16” barrel, or did it require a longer barrel?

Team Savage
    The 223 is a 20 inch savage 4x4 I bought some years back, sold it and bought it back the barrel was rougher than a corn cob it will shoot 40 to 69gr 3/4 inch or better, the 22-250 is a savage 12fv cut to 17 inches with a Ross Schuler 3 port brake the best 30 dollar brake, 30 dollars can buy. Stocks are Choate Varmint stocks, cut the butt end off and trim the grip to fit both finished to over 30 inches. I phone in my order and ask for a seconds or damaged stock for $120.00

Basic Member
    The 223 is a 20 inch savage 4x4 I bought some years back, sold it and bought it back the barrel was rougher than a corn cob it will shoot 40 to 69gr 3/4 inch or better, the 22-250 is a savage 12fv cut to 17 inches with a Ross Schuler 3 port brake the best 30 dollar brake, 30 dollars can buy. Stocks are Choate Varmint stocks, cut the butt end off and trim the grip to fit both finished to over 30 inches. I phone in my order and ask for a seconds or damaged stock for $120.00
    Thanks, that’s awesome info!

Holy crap , the bad info on here is ridiculous. It is not like having a folding stock. Once you remove the buttstock you create a "other". A rifle with a folding buttstock is still "intended to be fired from the shoulder" . No buttstock means it can no longer be fired. Length part only comes into play on rifle. No buttstock, no rifle.
    More shooting, less typing.