Thread: Savage action suitable for nitrating?

Basic Member

Savage action suitable for nitrating?

Been toying with the idea of having one of my savage actions nitrated. Been looking around online and finding all kinds of conflicting info, but one thing I saw, was that some actions were more suited to it than others (something about the type of metal they are made of and heat treatment from the factory)
    Just curious if any one has had a savage action nitrated, or knows if it would be suitable for having it done? I am currently waiting on my nitrated barrel and thought it would be cool to have the action treated too to match.

Pros, cons, and opinions welcome, as I am on the fence.

Basic Member
    I don't see enough gains to risk warping.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Nitriding is a heat treating/hardening process where nitrogen is infused to the surface of a metal. Nitrate is used as a preservative and possibly fertilizer like Ammonium Nitrate. Ditto on what Fred Says. They have ways to minimize warpage but why waste that kind of money. hanging a barrel vertically makes sense to me though

Basic Member
    I've had several actions finished in "Black Nitride" by H&M Metal processing. They do pretty much all the OEM's. I've not had anything but excellent results from them. I've been to their plant....It's LARGE.

http://blacknitride.com/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I've had several actions finished in "Black Nitride" by H&M Metal processing. They do pretty much all the OEM's. I've not had anything but excellent results from them. I've been to their plant....It's LARGE.

http://blacknitride.com/
    That is the exact company I was planning on using if I do go through with this. This originally came about because I am wanting a (flat tappet) camshaft for a engine I am building nitrated to help maximize the life while making it more resistant to wiping out a lobe. I called H&M and talked to one guy who told me to do the camshaft it would be their minimum charge of $250. I inquired about having the action done as well and he said it would still be included in their $250 minimum.
    The price is kinda hard to swallow for just the camshaft by itself so adding the action would help it not hurt so much, but I do not want to risk hurting the action. However I think I would be more inclined to trust a large company that has been doing it a long time and know what they are doing, as opposed to a smaller place that does not have as much knowledge or experience with it.

I am still on the fence.

Basic Member
    I don't know what to tell you. All I can do is tell you that they do the OEM Ferritic Nitrocarburizing for virtually all the OEM firearms companies made in the USA. When I was there I saw cart load after cart load of barrels (AR15) and Smith & Wesson actions getting ready to be processed. And that is just what I happened to see. It doesn't matter what the OEM calls it, Melonite, Black Nitride, whatever...it's all done by H&M.

It's a funny place. It's a family owned business. When I went there was a dog in the office and several of the woman were in pajamas. I liked them immediately. They treated this old man very well.

Basic Member
    The link above got me H & M fashion retailers. Search for H & M nitride.