Thread: Score-High Single Shot Follower

Team Savage

Score-High Single Shot Follower

I got a Score-High single shot follower for my LA, I have put it in both ways and it still doesn't feed correctly. Now this is a Long Action Stagger Feed with a 223 barrel. No matter how I put it in, the cases still tip up and the bullet jams into the back of the barrel. I am about to get out the JB weld and do some re-engineering. Am I missing something or is this the nature of the beast?

Bill

Basic Member
    Why did you JB weld it in?

I have Savage LA stagger feed also. Have the same Score-High follower as you have. No problems with mine. This has me puzzled. Sounds like the front of the follower is below the receiver feed ramp enough to cause the problem. Could it be that the diameter of the 223 case causes it to sit low enough on the follower to cause that?

Team Savage
    wbm, I think that is the problem and I will have to build up the front of the follower with JB Weld so the case lines up with the chamber. I was better off just dropping the case on top of the magazine and giving it a flick with my finger. I thought maybe I was installing it wrong.

Bill

Team Savage
    Is there a chance that you've got the OEM follower in backwards? Seems like they will only go in way but...
    Got a couple on short actions and they work with no issues. Has me wondering.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

HP bullets? Does your chamber have a bevel at the mouth to act as a feed ramp like an AR barrel? Very common issue with 223 sized cases and HP bullets on a Savage - need that feed ramp cut into the mouth of the chamber. See this thread for details and pics:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Feeding-issue
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Just finished putting a 223 barrel on a LA for one of my grand daughters. I set up all these small rifle calibers in long actions as single shots because I have no magazines for them. Even 221 fireball. I make my own followers with a block of wood with plexiglass top. When finished all you have to do is throw the round in and push it home with the bolt.
    The key is what the OP said is to lift the nose high enough to have the bullet pointed correctly as the bolt pushes it in. The existing feed ramps are not high enough. The plexiglass (1/8" lexan) has a tongue cut in it to start up on the feed ramp. Underneath the "tongue" is a small brass screw in the wood block that can be adjusted to hold the plexi at the correct height for feeding. Obviously if the front gets too hi the bolt head will hit it.
    My suggestion would be to experiment with the follower by adding a slight wedge (maybe out of wood) to the follower. Hold this on with double sided carpet tape. With a dummy round you will find a height/shape that it likes. Measure it carefully and build the "ramp" with epoxy. Add a little extra and file it down.
    IMHO,
    Randy