Thread: I bought my first expensive scope...to me expensive.

Basic Member

I bought my first expensive scope...to me expensive.

So through a world of price machinations, coupons and sales I ended up buying a Steiner M5Xi 5-25x56 with the Steiner's SCR-Mil reticle. It was one of those How much? Really? It was like the cheapest I've ever seen it by a whole bunch. I'm going to put it on a 300 RUM project rifle I'm currently working on. Previous to this my maximum scope outlay was in the $400.00 range...and I thought those were expensive scopes.

So far my review is as follows. I look in one end and I see stuff bigger out the other. It is a heavy thing and does seem very well constructed. I hope jumping the several orders if magnitude is going to be worth it.

Did you really bite....nevermind. I think you will be happy.

Basic Member
    I have never looked through a Steiner riflescope but have heard good things about them. All I have used over the years are S&B, US Optics, Nightforce, March, IOR and Sightrons. My favorite two scopes of those listed are the S&B and March offerings, but the problem is, I wan't one on all my rifles which I can't afford to do, so I own more Sightron scopes than all other brands combined.

Basic Member
    Man! oh man! I haven't even seen a Schmidt & Bender let alone owned one! Talk about scope envy...

Previous to this the best I could manage was a Vortex PST, which was the first time I ever dealt with a first focal plane scope.

I'd be interested to hear about March. They're based in Australia, no? And have crazy zoom ratios. That's the total extent of my knowledge

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Man! oh man! I haven't even seen a Schmidt & Bender let alone owned one! Talk about scope envy...

Previous to this the best I could manage was a Vortex PST, which was the first time I ever dealt with a first focal plane scope.

I'd be interested to hear about March. They're based in Australia, no? And have crazy zoom ratios. That's the total extent of my knowledge
    Currently I only have one S&B, a 3-20x Ultra Short. It is just sitting here in the box because I can't come up with a good enough reason to mount it on a $600 rifle! i had 12-50x for a while and it could do the job of my spotting scope if needed but the reticle was not what I wanted. I don't think you can do better than S&B but the price point is a hurdle for me.

March optics are built by Deon Optical in Japan. I don't know the entire history but they were originally only available from Kelbly's who was the sole importer and retailer for the USA. Kelbly's started offering dealer accounts a few years ago and now there are a few authorized dealers out there. They were bought out by the guy who owns Grizzly machine a while ago. I used to sell scopes for my day job and in my opinion you can't get a better scope without spending quite a bit more money. I ran an 8-80x for a while. 80x was a bit overkill for me since I don't have very many guns that will shoot in the teens, but I could spot 50 BMG bullet holes at 1000 with it if they were on white paper and the light was just right. 338 holes were visible almost that far on white paper. I don't own a March right now, but I am hungering after a 5-50x for my newly built 338 Edge. I am going to have to wait until our house sells next spring to buy one as I am retired now with a significantly reduced toy budget.

Basic Member
    That is what my brother uses on his PRS match rifles. It is a really nice riflescope!

Basic Member
    I'm confused where Steiner scopes are made. Are they USA or German? Or both? They're owned by Burris but Burris seems to make their scopes in Japan and the Philippines.

Not sure what type of project your .300RUM will be but I set up a hunting rig around 2004 with an American made Burris FF2 4.5-14x42 with the Ballistic Plex reticle. The ballistic plex matches the .300RUM with a 180gr perfectly out to 600 yards just range point and shoot. No math No guessing. Maybe not the hubble of scopes or the best choice for long range competition, but the combo is a super quick and deadly perfect match for a hunting rig to what most would consider practical ranges and has been rock solid reliable. Truth be told it hasn't seen much use other than the range since I learned through experience it's just waaayy too much gun for southeastern game species and kills things waaayy too dead.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I had the choice of this scope and several others but the price point came to be ridiculous. I was able, after a good bit of haggling, coupons and web discounts, able to get this scope at more than half off...and it was still over $1,200. I was also looking at the NightForce SHV F1 but this Steiner seems to be an order of magnitude above it, more like a NightForce NXS. The cost of the NF SHV and the Steiner were ultimately comparable and I went with the Steiner. Everything else was just beyond reach. Would I like to have a S&B? You bet! Will I ever be able to talk myself into parting with the cash to buy one? Probably not.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I'm confused where Steiner scopes are made. Are they USA or German? Or both? They're owned by Burris but Burris seems to make their scopes in Japan and the Philippines.
    The M series is made in Germany the T series is assembled in the USA, but I am not sure where the parts come from.