Thread: Palma Rifle - Barrel Break In

cladd

Palma Rifle - Barrel Break In

I just received my new Palma rifle and will next week take it out for the first time - would appreciate any advice on breaking in the barrel. My standard in the past has been clean the barrel after every round for the first 10 rounds - then after every 5 rounds for 20 or so rounds and then consider it broken in.

Thoughts - other methods?

Thanks

hailstone

Re: Palma Rifle - Barrel Break In

I've done basically the proceedure your proposing. Never felt I gained much if anything by doing a break-in considering the millions of barrels made prior too this idea of barrel break-in. Noticed that sometimes the patches seem to push through the barrel easier after firing some of the proceedures. Suspect there is some burnishing taking place but also wonder if this would normally happen if not doing a break-in. Suspect the average production barrel would initially benifit by the proceedure but after several hundred rounds both would be equal.

Ran across an article whereby several prominate barrel makers were interviewed. One conceeded that his proceedure was implemented after customer inquiries about any kind of break-in proceedure. The inquiries got so frequent that in order too eliminate wasted time of the office staff he instituted his proceedure. He also mentioned that with bench rest shooters firing a break-in proceedure caused them too change barrels more often i.e. total shots fired in competition was less due too break-in shots being subtracted from total. That lined his pocket with more profits. He also speculated the ammunition companies were happy with additional sales.

ICUDIEN

I read that to and if I remember right it was a highend barrelmaker like Lilja or Krieger.

ultramag44

Quote Originally Posted by cladd
    I just received my new Palma rifle and will next week take it out for the first time - would appreciate any advice on breaking in the barrel. My standard in the past has been clean the barrel after every round for the first 10 rounds - then after every 5 rounds for 20 or so rounds and then consider it broken in.

Thoughts - other methods? Thanks
    Hi Cladd, keep breaking them in as you have been. Does it really help? I can give you a 'definate' maybe'! ;D

Here's what we can say: It can't hurt. It may help.

Guys have done 'tests' w/ so-called 'identical' rifles, close serial #'s, etc. One guy says break in procedures mean nothing, the next says you got to do it. Both point to thier 'test' as the proof.

Rubbish! There are no identical rifles, barrels, actions, etc. Each rifle is a law unto itself.

The small amount of time & bullets you put into break-in is minor, and may pay dividends in the long run. Carry on then!

nuclabuyer

I think that article that you are thinking of was wrote by Gale McMillan, for the most part stating that if you get a high end barrel that is handlapped, you dont need to do the one shot and clean prodedure, mainly because the handlapping smoothes the bore and you can do more harm by cleaning it

here is a link
    http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

This is just ME, when i first shot my F/TR rifle clean it then shot it to sight in scope then off to the 2008 Savage were as i shot it groups were smaller and smaller too a half inch.

Basic Member

Savage will tell you the first 20 clean after every shot, it s not so much a breakin as it is watching for fouling once you have no fouling your good to go. I do all my new guns only makes sence , foul your new gun up with copper or brass there goes your accuracy