Thread: Savage Mod 10 Sear Failure to Fire?

Basic Member

Savage Mod 10 Sear Failure to Fire?

I just obtained a like new Mod 10 .223 Rem. It is a real tack driver. The problem I am experiencing is that about every or so often I get a failure to fire. The trigger feels like it fires and then stops halfway as if the Accutrigger has stopped it. When this happens, the trigger is stiff and will not move at all with a round in the chamber. If I lift the bolt to recock it, it will fire normally. I once had a problem with too much oil in firing pin galley doing this, but that is not true here. Any thoughts on problem and fix?

The Accutrigger has stopped it. The Accutrigger is not an accuracy item like one might reason based on the name. It is a safety trigger that stops the sear from falling if the safety blade is not fully depressed. So you are either moving the actual trigger before the safety blade is depressed or your trigger is set to light and it is tripping on bolt close.

Basic Member
    I have found the problem. Although the trigger is only set down to 2 pounds, a slight bump on the side of the trigger wil send it into accutrigger failsafe. The trigger pin seems to be awfully loose and let the trigger release and hit the blade when moved lateraly. Is this common or do I need to think about replacing it?

It is common. As I said before. If you touch the trigger before the safety blade is fully depressed the trigger will go into the lock position. This phenomina is nothing new. It happens to everyone who has difficulty with the concept of the Savage Accu(safety)Trigger function.

Touch the trigger before the safety blade is depressed the trigger locks. If you push it rearward, if you push it left, if you push it right, Click...the trigger is locked and you must recock. Remove the barreled action and look closely when you try all of these things you will understand.

The clearance on all savage trigger pins is about .002". Combine that with the width of the trigger and you will see plenty of side/angular movement. I have experimented with oversized pins and reaming the holes to fix the issue and it has made big improvements, however, the accutrigger still functions like a safety.