Thread: Savage model 12FV in 223

Basic Member

Savage model 12FV in 223

who can educate me on the Cabelas exclusive Savage 12 FV in 223 cal ?
    how accurate it is and what up grades does it need etc.?

I'm sure plenty of these guys can...71 pages worth!

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...FV-THREAD-FEST
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    who can educate me on the Cabelas exclusive Savage 12 FV in 223 cal ?
    how accurate it is and what up grades does it need etc.?
    For the money, it's the best Savage platform. It is a very accurate rifle (at least in 22-250)... The only upgrade that I would say it "needs" is an aftermarket stock. The stock that comes on it is the plastic POS. To get the best accuracy out of it though, you'll need to start reloading so you can fine tune the round to your rifle.

Basic Member
    Mine shoots 69gr Sierras into 1/2" 5 shot groups all day long. I cut the barrel down to 20" to lighten it up a tad. The 1:9 twist might be limiting if you want to shoot heavier bullets.

I would guess most on here would tell you the stock works, but they throw them out and get something better. The blind magazine can be a pain to load up.

But honestly, it's my fav gun to just sling round after round at a 500 yard target. The pic is before I cut it down.

Attachment 5150

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t

Savage 12fv factory barrel success pictures

This is a thread going on just how awesome these factory barrels are

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Zero hesitancy to highly recommend. I picked one up on a Cabela's sale combined with a Savage $100 rebate. Best value in a rifle I've ever seen. The accutrigger in a Savage is amazing. I've got mine set at lowest which is sub-2 Oz. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with a 12 FV. I bought the .223 also because of low cost factory ammo. I don't have time to reload nor the inclination to buy all the stuff. I shoot mainly Hornady 55-gr Vmax and it is accurate enough to routinely hit small animals at a good distance.

Mine will shoot .5" groups all day long with 55g Noslers, both HP & tipped. Mine still has the tupperware stock that everyone complains about, not the prettiest gun at the range, but still shoots good groups. I haven't been inspired to swap stocks due to the groups but am considering getting a boyd's just for giggles to see if I like 'em.

Basic Member
    Has anyone shot this rifle at 300 yards or further ?

Basic Member
    Have shot mine out to 550 yards. Was continuously nailing 5" plates with 69gr Sierras and a 12x42 SWFA scope. And that was with a barrel I hacksawed down to 20", sitting in a B&C stock....see above post.

I am sure many people will and have reported the great accuracy of these "cheap" rifles....All I can tell you is that I have a 22-250 and a 6.5 of these rifles and every one does 1/2" groups with factory ammo if I do a good job!! You will not regret buying on!!

Longest kill was 520 yds during my June pdog trip to SD.

Basic Member
    Oh heck yea. 4 inch clays at 500 yds aren't even a challenge with the 53 gr. V-Max over a hand load. The 69 TMK will go 750 yds with good accuracy. Your particular gun (barrel) may or may not shoot the 75 gr SMK, mine never would. Also depends upon altitude at your shooting site. Might shoot the 73 Berger's too. Ya just have to give it a try.

Buy one on sale, and for less than $1000 for everything, including a decent scope, you can have a real sub 1/2 moa shooter.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Cannot recommend them enough if you restock them. My old 12 fv was seeming to need a new barrel and I have been debating which barrel to purchase. A man was selling some of his guns to my local dealer and I asked him about the savage. He said it was too heavy for hunting and wanted to trade it for a lighter .223. I told my dealer to call me if he traded for it. He did and I bought it. I put on a spare SWFA 12X42 and took it to the range. I shot a round of different weights and loads. Out of 8 different loads, all were under 1" at 100 yds and most were under 1/2". That settled it , I went home and swapped out the Boyds stock on my target 12 fv for the Tupperware factory stock and it shoots great. Can't wait to see what a new barrel will do on the old one if I can decide on which one to buy.

Basic Member
    LuvmyLRP if I read right you prefer the Savage stock over the Boyds ?

WOW seems everyone loves the 12 FV. I am going to pick one up at Cabelas in 223.

Basic Member
    Negatory Rebs: I was saying that I took the Boyds stock off the shot out rifle and put it on the new one. The new one with the Tupperware stock was shooting better than the worn out one with the Boyds stock. I put the old stock on the new gun and it shoots even better. That was the point. It shot less than an MOA with a variety of my pet loads with the factory stock and got even tighter with the Boyds stock. Now I can rebarrel the old one if I can decide on which barrel. I have gone through about every .223 manufacturer in the under $1,000 and can't find a better one than the 12FV and 10 series. The only one that I am not really excited about is my Mod 10 PC. I haven't found a load it likes yet and have just about given up on it. By the way, has Savage given up on it too, and if so why? I don't see it listed in their product line any more. I don't seem to see any .223s except the space gun listed.
    I just checked and the only .223 rem listed in the Savage product line is the BA and Mod 25. I'm not familiar with the Mod 25. Is it a Mod 10 derivative or a rimfire derivative? Looks like the 12FV is the only reasonably priced Savage .223 available at this time and it's only at Cabelas/ Bass Pro. Am I wrong about the availability of Savage .223s?

Basic Member
    The Savage model 25 walking varminter with thumb hole stock is one I have looked at also, but its more money. I am thinking the 12FV with a Boyds thumb hole stock woul;d be excellent.

Basic Member
    Just got current on line flyer and it looks like 12FV has been reduced to 399 except for the 204

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I just checked the Vista Outdoors website and there are no rebate programs available right now for the 12FV. I did see a $100 rebate on Ashbury models that just expired (dang).

Disappointing that there are no good sales on this model anymore.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I just checked the Vista Outdoors website and there are no rebate programs available right now for the 12FV. I did see a $100 rebate on Ashbury models that just expired (dang).

Disappointing that there are no good sales on this model anymore.
    They typically run sales and rebates right before deer season. I'd check back in 3-weeks on those sales/rebates.

Basic Member
    Also Cabelas club days comes up this week. I think $20 on new or used rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I'm starting to wish I had gotten one in 223 when the rebate deal was still running. My 6.5CM only cost me $204 after the rebate. I stuck an SWFA 3-15X42 on it and it's a great shooter. A 223 would've been perfect for my son's first centerfire bolt gun.