Thread: Fed up with Staggered Feed Mag Boxes - Wanting to change over to Center Feed

Basic Member

Fed up with Staggered Feed Mag Boxes - Wanting to change over to Center Feed

When my one remaining staggered feed rifle that actually worked OK, a short action, flat back in 223 Rem had multiple failures to feed from the mag box the other day, I reached my limit. NONE of over a dozen rifles with the old style mag boxes feeds reliably. The only rifles I can count on to feed well are either new center feed factory versions or actions that have been moved to DM AI style stocks and chassis.

I want to keep using the old style stocks that are on the rifles, but I want to get rid of every stagger feed mag box set up I have and replace them with new center feed mag boxes. How difficult will it be to convert the 3 short actions to center feed? I can see that the long actions will be pretty simple but I don't have any short action center feed mag boxes to check for fit in my short action stagger feed stocks.

Where is the best place to get the lowest price on just the mag box and follower? I looked at Midway and saw nothing offered. I don't think I will need the L clip since I will be hand fitting these in old style stocks with shims and such for a tight fit.

The only thing I could come up with at an OK price was buying Axis magazines and pulling the mag boxes off the bottom plates. I can get those for $29 each. Any other suggestions as to where to procure said parts for less than $29 for the box and follower?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or suggestions.

Team Savage
    I'd check some old threads on this site, but I don't believe cartridges will feed from a center feed (CF) mag box into a stagger feed (SF) action. The bottom front of the magazine inlet are different between the SF and CF action. It requires mill work to convert a SF action to a CF action. You can put a Savage CF actions into old the stagger feed blind magazine stock. You just have to fill and re-drill the front hole on SA, SF stock. The cheapest and easiest place to get only the CF magazine box and follower is to call Savage Arms Parts. If you become a paid member on this site you would also have access to the classified section. Prices are pretty cheap on take-off parts and Savage CF, top bolt released actions like the Savage 12FV (Cabela's exclusive) members part out.
    Last edited by jpdown; 09-10-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the information jpdown. I thought that I read in a couple of threads that installing a center feed mag box in an old stagger feed LONG action was not that difficult with no modification required on the action, but my memory is pretty bad and the search function on the site rarely works at all for me. I usually get a notice saying something like "No results found." When I lay a long action CF mag box in one of my old SF stocks, it sure does seem like there is plenty of room in the mag cuttout on the stocks to get it to align properly with some shimming. Short actions are another story from what I have read. I will probably just get rid of my old style short actions and replace them with center feed actions since I have so few of them. Really the only cartridges I like to use in short actions are the 223 sized cases. I prefer long actions for 22-250, 308 etc.

As for the classifieds, I have been a paying member before and plan to be again. The only difference between paying and non paying for the classifieds from what I have seen is that you can't list anything for sale unless you are a paid member.

Team Savage
    I know what you mean about "CRS" disease. I slowly converted my Savage SF actions to CF actions starting in about 2010. Glad I did, since various factory and aftermarket parts for the SF are getting harder to find with each passing year.

I’ve done it to one rifle and might go that route on another. The CF mag works just fine a stagger feed receiver. You might have to mill out a little material from the rear of the receiver. I didn’t touch the first one I did. Everything works fine. I hot glued the mag box in the stock, although you could shim it and it would work fine. The L clip is a waste of money for a short action stagger feed. Better to shim or hot glue.

I might even trade you a CF mag setup for a SF setup for 308 family cartridges.

Basic Member
    http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php...ach=6251;image
    Here is an idea. Although this is a c.f. action the attachment is made to facilitate an s.f. stock.
    Randy

Basic Member
    The action is tapped 10-32 approx .44" ahead of the rear action scew.
    Below is a link to where this was discussed.
    (Replys #18 & #25)

www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=9831.

It is a breeze to convert a long action with hobby plywood, some epoxy and a Dremel in a wood stock.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I am glad to hear that converting the LONG Stagger Feed actions isn't going to take too much material removal on stocks or actions, as those account for the bulk of my actions and stocks. I am going to play with feed lips on these short SF actions before I give up completely. The problem has been that the feed lips bow out when I install the mag box in the action using a C Clamp, ruining all my adjustments. I guess I will have to remove the trigger assembly and try the mallet strike install method. I seem to recall that technique causes less distortion of the body. I can't get the angle right with the trigger installed, though I can remove them without taking off the trigger. Sadly, there isn't enough room when it is installed to make feed lip adjustments unless there is some trick I am missing.

Page 2 of this article shows how to take it out and put it back in.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...and-CF)/view/2

No need to remove the trigger with this method.

Thanks Jim Baker for retaining this article and bootsmcguire for taking time to write it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Page 2 of this article shows how to take it out and put it back in.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...and-CF)/view/2

No need to remove the trigger with this method.

Thanks Jim Baker for retaining this article and bootsmcguire for taking time to write it.
    When I searched years ago here or out on the web that method was not mentioned (or I just failed in finding it). Every recommendation by the Savage gurus said to use a mallet or a C-clamp. I wonder when this method became "The Way" to do it. For what it's worth I did try using a screwdriver on some mags on my own over the years, but prying them in rather than pushing. It usually ended up bending the top of the mag inward which would cause the follower to jam, unable to move into the fully upward position. I will have to try it again with a gentler touch, and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the link!

Edit: I just now installed some feed lip adjusted SF mag boxes using the method in the link. Long Action mag boxes were easy, no distortion of the mag box, but with the shorts, I couldn't get enough pressure with just a screwdriver in hand to get it to pop in, so I ended up pushing and tapping the scredriver lightly with a mallet which worked great and did not bend the front of the mag box. Now if I can just get the feed lips in this old 3 piece 223 mag box positioned to hold the rounds in on the left side. The right side is fine, left side rounds are popping out up near the shoulder when cycling the bolt. I bought this brand new about 20 years ago to replace a 308 sized box and it has never worked right.

love it when a plan comes together! best of luck getting it to feed correctly.

Basic Member
    I spent about 40 minutes playing with this wobbly old 3 piece 223 sized mag box to get the feed lips set perfectly. I Installed it using the screwdriver technique per the instructional link ( plus a mallet tap on the screwdriver as no amount of hand pressure would seat it ) - Eureka! This is the first time this thing has worked right since I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    love it when a plan comes together! best of luck getting it to feed correctly.
    Definitely. Thanks everyone for the help.