Thread: Used 110E - Noob Question

Used 110E - Noob Question

I found what I believe is an older model of the 110E. It's a 30.06 with a light colored checkered stock, few dings, fair bluing, no rust or pits and no scope. Hard to describe it better without a serial number to date it by but it appears to have aged honestly - meaning not abused just used.

Never personally owned a Savage but have heard they are very accurate and well made rifles.

They are asking $350 but I don't think it's worth that. I was going to offer $300 out the door but wanted to get some expert advice on what to look for. Does the 110E have any gremlins I should look for? I've heard the triggers are pretty rough at one time.

Thanks.

I'd say $300.00 it's a fair offer for it... You won't find many out there for less than that. If nothing else, you have a very functional action that you can build what you want... The Barrel nut is your friend!! I had to spend $400+ for one of the brand new 111 rifles in .270 win and all I wanted off of it was the action.

as far as the trigger goes... You'll have to try it to see if it's a rough one or a smooth one. I had a 30-06 back in the late 80's that had a great trigger on it. If I'd have known then what I could have done with it today,(IE putting new barrel and stock on it) I'd have never sold it.... Even with the little 20" barrel it had on it.

The 110E model was the "economy" model. Action and bolt the same as others, just a different cheeper stock, as I understand.
    $300 seems like a fare price and if you so desire can be a base for a great build as SageRat has suggested. I have a 110e .270 winchester that I am currently needing in a Boyds Stock and have a new barrel for. No pit falls to watch out for that I can think about.

Thanks guys. Sounds like the 110 is a good gun. It just struck me funny that both of you mentioned it could be a good platform to build on. Seems pretty good like it is if it shoots straight, but I'm a Marlin XL owner, and not to knock Remlin, but I don't consider it equal to Savage I was fairly impressed with the feel of the 110 and especially the bolt. It didn't feel like a $1200 gun but it didn't feel like my Marlin either. Could be the wooden stock that gave it an overall hefty-solid feel tho. I'm all for progress and lightweight polymers when needed but I sure miss the feel of solid wood.

I'll post back if I get it. If you know of anything else I should look for please let me know.

Thanks,
    Randy

Post pics up

Basic Member
    The 110E was built during Savages darkest times, and is probably the worst quality of any guns that they put out. If you are looking for a donor gun for a project, I would pass and look for something newer, preferably something with nothing older than a "G" prefix.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I guess it wasn't meant to be. Went back for another look and found a crack in the stock parallel with the bolt. Thought maybe if the guy came down enough I'd get a replacement but he all but stopped talking once I pointed out the crack.

His silence and not knowing what caused the crack were enough for me to walk away. Darn shame tho. For some odd reason I was really drawn to that gun.

Thanks for the advice and info. I'll be back when I find another!