Thread: Mag primers VS Large primers

Mag primers VS Large primers

Hi can I use large primers instead of mag primers in my 300 win mag, I only shoot about 50 rounds a year out of it and don't want to be using 20 year old primers by the time I am done with them.
    thanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Re: Mag primers VS Large primers

then don't buy a brick at a time.
    you can use large. some powders respond better then others to the change.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I did not know you could in smaller quantity than by the 1000s.
    thanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member

Most local gun shops sell primers by a 100. If you lived near me I'd just give you a 100. For hunting accuracy it will not matter, but many target shooters are finding that they are getting lower velocity variations, therefore better accuracy with standard primers. As mentioned, you'll have to re-evaluate your powder and grains used as you are changing primer, and that makes a difference. Do a search on google for 300 WM and the primer you buy. Make sure to verify that load from several sources to make sure someone did not mis-type the load information. Good luck.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

SHL540KB308

Either will work as already stated, but remember, it will be a standard 300 Winchester if you do.

Later, Brad

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHL540KB308
    Either will work as already stated, but remember, it will be a standard 300 Winchester if you do.

Later, Brad
    With that kind of thinking i can turn my 308win into a magnum by using magnum primers. NOT!!!!!!!!!

Changing to a standard primer (if the proper powder is used) will not reduce your 300 magnum's power one bit but you will need to work up a load for the standard primer.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

dcloco

Wish there was a REAL study done on the ability of the various primers to light the power....."ignitability"????

Magnum primers have a thicker cup than standard primers.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Of interest, if you run a Remington 6.5 primer in a 17 Rem/204 Ruger/223...you will experience pierced primers. With a CCI400 primer in the same calibers, probably not, at least at the same pressures. So, one more item that needs to be added to the chart is type of metal the primer cup is made out of as well, not just thickness.

I prefer to use CCI450 and Remington 7.5 in all of my small rifle primer applications.

I do use standard large rifle primers with medium or faster burn rate powders and magnum primers with slower burn rate powders.

snoog37

Depending on the powder(s) used, you may not get full/consistent ignition with a std LR primer. I personally stick with LRM for my 300wm...that is a pretty sizeable powder column.

PBinWA

Interesting, I think none of the load manuals I have checked (Lyman's, Hornady, and Hodgdon's website) state that they use Magnum primers in their .300 Win Mag loads. I'm pretty sure they all just used standard Large Rifle primers.

I know in colder climates it is good to use Magnum primers to ensure better ignition.

Basic Member

The use of magnum primers is recommended

1. Any ammunition used below zero degrees F.
    2. With most ball powders.
    3. With slow burning powders like IMR 4350 and 4831 in large cases.
    (above from Speer reloading manual #9)

In Speer Number #9, #13, and #14 reloading manuals ALL .300 Winchester Magnum loadings are with magnum primers.