Thread: Damaged Trigger - HELP!

Basic Member

Damaged Trigger - HELP!

I was handling my Precision Target Action with barrel attached, and I bumped the exposed trigger on the carpeted floor. Not hard, but hard enough where the trigger does not work. The bolt does not even want to lift, but you can if forced, Do not want to do that again. Can someone help me troubleshoot? I am really distressed about this, so really hope I didn't muck anything up too badly. Nothing appears bent, but cannot recall how it all supposed to look.

It is not cocked but the trigger is solid, and will not move. The safety blade moves OK. The bolt release only moves a little bit.

Phil

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil3 View Post
    I was handling my Precision Target Action with barrel attached, and I bumped the exposed trigger on the carpeted floor. Not hard, but hard enough where the trigger does not work. The bolt does not even want to lift, but you can if forced, Do not want to do that again. Can someone help me troubleshoot? I am really distressed about this, so really hope I didn't muck anything up too badly. Nothing appears bent, but cannot recall how it all supposed to look.

Phil
    Can you post a picture of your fire control group

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Here are photos. Click link to album for these pics in Google Photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4B1nWT7nnMAXi7WDA

Thank you.

Phil

Basic Member
    Here are photos. Click link to album for these pics in Google Photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4B1nWT7nnMAXi7WDA

Thank you.

Phil
    It almost looks like the side bolt release is partially down. I've pulled alot of savage triggers apart and that's really what's standing out. A little bump on the carpet shouldn't do much.

Basic Member
    I managed to get bolt out, but, it will not go back in. I don't know why. The bolt release looks normal vs other photos I have before this happened.

Basic Member
    I managed to get bolt out, but, it will not go back in. I don't know why.
    You have to hold the trigger in and press bolt release down

Basic Member
    I know, but stupid me, the rotating part at the end of the bolt somehow got turned 180 degrees and bolt won't go in that way. It does now, but upon closing, it made a new click, and did it again, but on a 3rd closing, stopped. It still feels slightly weird to me, with heavy bolt lift, even for a Savage.

Basic Member
    I know, but stupid me, the rotating part at the end of the bolt somehow got turned 180 degrees and bolt won't go in that way. It does now, but upon closing, it made a new click, and did it again, but on a 3rd closing, stopped. It still feels slightly weird to me, with heavy bolt lift, even for a Savage.
    All my Savages have been relatively stiff flips on the bowl until they got broke in. Is it taking excessive pressure to lift it

Basic Member
    In my opinion, it feels heavier than it was, following the hit on the trigger. That occasional double click is definitely new. I am trying to figure out how to replicate it, but have not seen a pattern. As an aside, is there any harm dry firing the gun. I won't do that, if this causes harm.

Phil

Basic Member
    In my opinion, it feels heavier than it was, following the hit on the trigger. That occasional double click is definitely new. I am trying to figure out how to replicate it, but have not seen a pattern. As an aside, is there any harm dry firing the gun. I won't do that, if this causes harm.

Phil
    Dry firing won't harm it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Dry firing won't harm it

Does your red trigger safety still work the way it should

Basic Member
    If you cock it, does the sear hold? Looks like it's falling back on the safety blade perhaps? That will make it harder to lift the bolt back again...

Basic Member
    You may be on to something. Follow this sequence for explanation.

1) Run bolt forward, Bolt release sits high, trigger blade full forward, sear sits over forward on trigger lever.
    2) Close bolt. Sear moves to rear, front of and clear of red safety blade by 1/16" or less. Sits in notch on trigger lever.
    3) Pull trigger. Blade goes down behind sear. Trigger releases, sear to full rear over safety blade, and bolt release lever drops down.
    4) Lift bolt lever. All just like in #1.

If in step #2, I pull on trigger (gripping sides), but NOT depressing trigger blade, sear comes out of trigger notch and snaps back hitting safety blade. This click sounds like that double click I heard before.

I cannot replicate the double-clicking heard earlier.

Phil

Basic Member
    The target triggers are very touchy. It could easily have popped off the ledge and onto the safety blade as designed. Hopefully you didn't tweak it and the sear holds...

Basic Member
    You may be on to something. Follow this sequence for explanation.

1) Run bolt forward, Bolt release sits high, trigger blade full forward, sear sits over forward on trigger lever.
    2) Close bolt. Sear moves to rear, front of and clear of red safety blade by 1/16" or less. Sits in notch on trigger lever.
    3) Pull trigger. Blade goes down behind sear. Trigger releases, sear to full rear over safety blade, and bolt release lever drops down.
    4) Lift bolt lever. All just like in #1.

If in step #2, I pull on trigger (gripping sides), but NOT depressing trigger blade, sear comes out of trigger notch and snaps back hitting safety blade. This click sounds like that double click I heard before.

I cannot replicate the double-clicking heard earlier.

Phil
    You can see in one of the pictures, it looks like the sear is to far to the rear

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    You can see in one of the pictures, it looks like the sear is to far to the rear

Agreed. The sear should not go back beyond the notch on the trigger unless you are releasing the bolt, at least it is on the older wire spring triggers as I understand it.

I think Ted is on to something.

Take a picture with a raised bolt handle.

Apply forward pressure to the rear of the trigger when closing. See if the sear holds.

Basic Member
    It is my understanding only, and not to be used as a guide, and after having a target accu-trigger completely apart and replacing same with a Rifle Basix trigger THAT

I would first do a visual on the Accu-trigger sear spring to make sure it sits correctly. That is NOT the thin spring that looks like it operates the red trigger, but rather the spring that is adjusted with the Savage super duper yellow screwdriver. Also, examine to make sure it has not cracked. If that is ok read the following

When attempting to remove the bolt, pulling on the Accu-trigger and moving the bolt rearward, the pull on the trigger will only move the sear out of the notch and rearward. The bolt will be released back by pushing down on the release lever. There is no actual need to keep the trigger depressed through the whole operation.

On reinserting the bolt, it ain't ever going back in if you feel something such as this- Do not use the bolt. pull back on trigger gently to release sear (if cocked rifle cocked for some reason. Press down on the lever until down as far as it can go, insert a small finger into your chamber on the right side. If you feel anything sticking up, even if it feels like 100th of an inch, that is preventing the bolt, with the bolt rail from the front end of the bolt fitting on the right lower side of the chamber from closing. THAT is preventing the bolt from being reinserted or removed. That protrusion has to be eliminated to allow free travel of the bolt.