Thread: J.C. Higgins 101.13 AKA Savage 86-7

J.C. Higgins 101.13 AKA Savage 86-7

I'm looking for information regarding the proper scope mount for this rifle. I've been told it is/was a Weaver "tip-off" (??) mount. What's odd is that there are only two drilled/tapped holes in the receiver (see picture). They appear to be 1/8" in in diameter and 1" center-to-center. I haven't tried to determine the pitch/guage of the threads. Given that .22 LR is essentially a non-recoil cartridge, I can imagine a mount that needed only two holes to secure it to the receiver but I can't find ANYTHING to that end. I wrote to Weaver and gave them the above measurements and they suggested that perhaps the obsolete (their words) types 'N' or 'T' might have been used. All 'N' mounts that I can find any data on are 'four hole' mounts. If anyone has anything further to offer, I'd surely be pleased to hear it. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Before they used grooved receivers the Weaver mounts you mentioned were the only ones that I know were used, guns set up for them would have two widely spaced holes on the left side of the receiver, I have never seen a factory drilled gun with four holes. Some versions for Montgomery Wards were drilled & tapped for Mossberg scope mounts which used a shorter hole spacing.

You do not mention where the two hole on your gun are located, I assume they are at the rear of the receiver - those would be for a WFC 150 peep sight.

I have a picture showing a gun drilled & tapped for the Mossberg mount and milled & tapped for the No 105 peep sight which is earlier than the WFC No 150. It's an early Savage Model 3 single shot action -

Here are a couple with the Weaver mounts, the top has a four hole mount with two of the holes quite obviously added (that side is not shown) -

Here are a couple pictures of the WFC 150 sight -