Thread: Axis bolt release

Basic Member

Axis bolt release

I may have asked this before but does anyone know who might have a Bolt release for a Edge/Axis? The way Savage Customer service acts its like i was a terrorist trying to buy a part. No FFL or being a gunsmith can I buy the part i need. I called a local gunsmith here and he said he will not deal with them for any amount of money. I have looked all over and called countless places that deal with Savage and no one has one. Any and all help appreciated.

Basic Member
    Call a different gunsmith. Thats really poor service from Savage.

The bolt release is actually the trigger sear if I am not mistaken. You should ask if you can sign a waiver to order the part. I have never done that but many people have. The way I see it is, There is a lot of time spent on parts service and that does not offer a financial return. I am going to gess that department is small and overworked. Just a hypothesis.

Basic Member
    Ok Gents and Ladies I Got a hold of Sharp Shooters Supply and Ms Lisa did a fabulous job of getting me a new one. So if you need any parts I would recommend them for sure..

Team Savage
    Good to know!

Having said that, I've never had anything but great service when calling Savage directly. The last young woman I spoke to was so polite and helpful.

Basic Member
    The Customer Service folks are great!!! What got me is the company policy of not selling Certain parts to individuals I even sent a letter to the CEO but dont know if it ever got to him. So if you really need a part and they wont sell it to you send Sharp Shooter Supply a email and They will take care of you!

Quote Originally Posted by vet2260 View Post
    The Customer Service folks are great!!! What got me is the company policy of not selling Certain parts to individuals I even sent a letter to the CEO but dont know if it ever got to him. So if you really need a part and they wont sell it to you send Sharp Shooter Supply a email and They will take care of you!
    The reason for that is because of liability concerns. We're dealing with fire control parts here that have production tolerances that may or may not require some fitting for your particular rifle, and they don't have a clue if you know what the heck you're doing or not when it comes to working on guns.

Everyone has this goofy impression that Savage parts are like lego's and you can just put any old pieces together and mix and match however you like. In theory yes, but what you don't realize is that most of the small parts are only QC checked during final assembly. In other words, they grab a part out of the bin and install it. If it works, great. If not, they take it off and grab another part out of the bin and try it until they get one that works with that particular gun. They grab the next gun and try that previous part on it that didn't work in the last gun. If it works, great. If not, they grab another one. If a given part fails to work in a consecutive number of guns it gets set aside as a reject and what Savage does with those who knows - could go right back into parts inventory and possibly get plucked out for a customer's replacement part order for all I know.

It is for this very reason that Savage will only sell certain parts to a gunsmith. That gunsmith (presumably) has the knowledge and experience to check and verify the part fits and works properly before returning the firearm to the customer. The customer generally doesn't have that knowledge and experience to catch a possible issue because they simply don't know what to look for or know how it should fit and function. As a licensed gunsmith performing the installation, the liability shifts to them should something bad happen.

Just because it's an inconvenience to you or anyone else doesn't make it a stupid policy.

I've personally seen probably a half dozen bolt bodies that were anywhere from 0.010 to 0.035" shorter than what they should be. Now imagine in one of those was sent out to a customer who didn't know enough to compare the length to their old one or check the barrel headspace after assembling it into their rifle. Most likely it would result in a case head separation due to the excessive headspace the first time they tried to fire a live round. Now that person's on the phone with a lawyer making plans to sue Savage for selling him/her defective parts.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thank You for the Explanation it makes sense to me now that you put it in those terms. We as People dont think about the reasoning behind some of the thought processes in preventing Liability cases. At the time all i was thinking about was trying to fix my rifle and when told they wouldnt sell me one those thoughts never crossed my thought process and not thinking about it caused me to become Flaming A$$ number one. Again Thank you for the great reply!!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The reason for that is because of liability concerns. We're dealing with fire control parts here that have production tolerances that may or may not require some fitting for your particular rifle, and they don't have a clue if you know what the heck you're doing or not when it comes to working on guns.

Everyone has this goofy impression that Savage parts are like lego's and you can just put any old pieces together and mix and match however you like. In theory yes, but what you don't realize is that most of the small parts are only QC checked during final assembly. In other words, they grab a part out of the bin and install it. If it works, great. If not, they take it off and grab another part out of the bin and try it until they get one that works with that particular gun. They grab the next gun and try that previous part on it that didn't work in the last gun. If it works, great. If not, they grab another one. If a given part fails to work in a consecutive number of guns it gets set aside as a reject and what Savage does with those who knows - could go right back into parts inventory and possibly get plucked out for a customer's replacement part order for all I know.

It is for this very reason that Savage will only sell certain parts to a gunsmith. That gunsmith (presumably) has the knowledge and experience to check and verify the part fits and works properly before returning the firearm to the customer. The customer generally doesn't have that knowledge and experience to catch a possible issue because they simply don't know what to look for or know how it should fit and function. As a licensed gunsmith performing the installation, the liability shifts to them should something bad happen.

Just because it's an inconvenience to you or anyone else doesn't make it a stupid policy.

I've personally seen probably a half dozen bolt bodies that were anywhere from 0.010 to 0.035" shorter than what they should be. Now imagine in one of those was sent out to a customer who didn't know enough to compare the length to their old one or check the barrel headspace after assembling it into their rifle. Most likely it would result in a case head separation due to the excessive headspace the first time they tried to fire a live round. Now that person's on the phone with a lawyer making plans to sue Savage for selling him/her defective parts.
    I disagree, by this reasoning an automotive dealership (or parts store) shouldn't/wouldn't sell individuals replacement auto parts (as in brakes or steering parts)!
    I can picture this... me going into Auto dealership and them asking if I have a certified mechanics license on file with them. "Sorry we can sell you the car but no replacement parts..you might crash into someone or thing"
    Or going into a liquor store and being asked for a bartenders Lic. on file because I may be irresponsible, drink the spirits in the parking lot and crash on the way home...
    Just plain stupid chicken schit policy! IMHO
    It should be like it was.."sign a release and we'll be glad to sell to you"...period!

Did you ever hear about the guy who adjusted his wife's Remington 700 trigger too light and when she pulled it off safety to empty the chamber, she shot and killed their son. Remington paid for that big time.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Sorry, I agree with Savage policy too. The state of liability in guns is FAR beyond car parts suppliers or just about any other industry, except maybe aircraft.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Did you ever hear about the guy who adjusted his wife's Remington 700 trigger too light and when she pulled it off safety to empty the chamber, she shot and killed their son. Remington paid for that big time.
    Remington "paid" because of a design fault in the trigger (even the trigger designer for Remington went on record of warning them of the defect) not the fact that the owner had worked on the rifle.
    And yet you can still go to Remingtons website and buy trigger and bolt parts for your rifle...go figure!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Sorry, I agree with Savage policy too. The state of liability in guns is FAR beyond car parts suppliers or just about any other industry, except maybe aircraft.
    Actually it's not...
    The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protec...ce_in_Arms_Act

Sorry???...last I knew you where allowed to agree with anyones policy you wanted too, great county America!
    Can't buy direct from Savage but yet they'll sell them to Brownells, Numrich or Midway to sell to the public....Hmmm

Basic Member
    Savage Arms is for sale.......buy it and change the policy!
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

What was the flaw?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    What was the flaw?
    Very good article...https://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/05/remi...-triggers.html

Remington's 700 series, which began with the Model 721 shortly after World War II, has been wildly popular not only with hunters and target shooters, but also with law enforcement and the U.S. military. The gun is prized for its accuracy and smooth operation, thanks to a unique trigger mechanism patented in the 1940s by Remington engineer Merle "Mike" Walker.
    But the CNBC investigation revealed that even before the gun went on the market, Walker himself had discovered a potential problem with the trigger he designed. In a 1946 memo, he warned of a "theoretical unsafe condition" involving the gun's safety—the mechanism that's supposed to keep the rifle from firing accidentally.Subsequent memos during the testing process noted guns could be made to fire simply by switching off the safety or operating the bolt. "This situation can be very dangerous from a safety and functional point of view," said a 1947 inspection report.
    This is why when I decided to build rifles for my daughters and wife... I knew they where getting Savage Accutriggers!

Basic Member
    I wished Savage did use Lego to make their stocks; they would be a lot stronger and more rigid if they did.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Savage Arms is for sale.......buy it and change the policy!
    Boy oh Boy...do I wish I could.