Thread: 22 lr ammo

Team Savage

22 lr ammo

what shoots the best in your savage 22 ? What about Wolf, S&K, CCI standard velocity, CCI Green Tag or federal auto match etc. ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    what shoots the best in your savage 22 ? What about Wolf, S&K, CCI standard velocity, CCI Green Tag or federal auto match etc. ?
    The most accurate ammo I've shot out of any of my .22LR was Winchester regular lead bullets, no jacket, just lead

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    wolf match extra shot the best in mine
    Jack

For cheap everyday ammo its hard to beat CCI Standard Velocity. In fact, there are a lot of guys shooting it in our monthly ABRA benchrest matches.

For mid-grade ammo I'd try Norma TAC-22 and Eley Club.

Big spenders flock to Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas+.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Winchester super x is my go to for small game hunting.
    Ackley was right all along

Team Savage
    what about eley black match ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    what about eley black match ?
    That's excellent ammo. As is the Eley Edge, Lapua Center X and Fed Ultra Match.

.22s are finicky though and what works in one rifle might not in another. Try them all and see what works best in yours.

Best accuracy in my Win 52D is REM Standard lead then R50

Basic Member
    Eley contact, edge, force...

Lapua polar biathlon never ever let me down.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

I've been shooting CCI Standard Vel. in my Stevens 84C for a long, long time. When Remington Kleanbore became hard to find.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

CCI SV in my FVSR, followed closely by Aguila SV.
    Jester

CCI SV shoots great in the Suhl. Wolf and SK match shoot well also. The level of competition to determine what you feed it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I had a Savage heavy barrel 22 bolt action and CCI standard velocity was the best shooting bullet for accuracy and price.

Basic Member
    You'll get a lot of advice about what shoots best but rarely do you ever get data that is rigerously gathered.

Three of my shooting buddies and I have 17 different target rifles and have recorded 9483 5-round groups with 47,415 rounds fired.

In general, the match grade (ammos with less than 1075 fps muzzle velocities) have the best averages.
    The super sonic and hypersonic ammos (with more than 1200 fps muzzle velocities) have much larger averages.

Of the 17 rifles, the best target rifles like the high grade/ high cost ammos like Lapua Midas+ and Center-X, Eley Tenex or Match and RWS R-50 or R100.
    The most accurate results were measured with Lapua X-Act ammo but that costs $26 a box and we don't shoot it much.
    Generally, those rifles have tight chambers and the high quality control of the expensive ammos shows, especially at 100 yards with little variation in group size lot to lot.
    Some of the less expensive rifles don't show the same results but, across the board, Lapua Center-X is a pretty broadly preferred ammo but it is a bit more expensive than the mid range ammos.
    The three Lapua ammos listed are the only ones that have overall averages under 0.4 inches across all the rifles that have shot them (based on 1214 groups measured).

The mid-range ammos that perform almost as well include Wolf Match Extra and Target, SK Rifle Match and Standard Plus, Eley Edge, Force and Contact, and CCI Standard Velocity.
    But those ammos have pretty wide variations in accuracy from lot to lot, so much so that one lot of Wolf was so bad that a buddy thought his scope had broken until he tried a different lot.
    The data for those ammos shows that Wolf Match Extra and SK Rifle Match (actually the same ammo in different boxes) made at the Jagr factory managed by Lapua have a slightly better overall average in the low 0.4s based upon 2071 groups. Wolf Match target is very close to their average but the overall average was biased by a case of a very good lot and is based upon 1098 groups. The SK Standard Plus (the same ammo in different color boxes) averaged 0.05 larger groups for 182 groups but we never had a lot that equaled the case of Wolf Match Target.
    The data shows how lot variations can cause quick conclusions about ammo quality.
    The four of us have been shooting for a long time and have been using the same high powered scopes to test with for years.
    Even then, shooter induced variations are included in the data but long term averages with large samples eliminate the effect of variations and the ammo results tend to attest to the results overall.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    That's excellent ammo. As is the Eley Edge, Lapua Center X and Fed Ultra Match.

.22s are finicky though and what works in one rifle might not in another. Try them all and see what works best in yours.
    This is SOOOOO true.
    Even with the exact same rifle, one may prefer Brand X and the other Brand Y.

If you are looking for a 247+ on the green meanie target at 50 yards, forget the middle shelf rounds. If you are looking for short range minute of squirrel, most will do.
    Be VERY careful with the Eley Match in the black box. They come in various speeds. Eley Black @1065 speed MAY shoot great and @1041 might group at twice or more the size. Again, no problem for varmints, but for target shooting, big difference. There is also a slight variation in accuracy between lots of the same listed speed as to accuracy.

Just as a guide and not the Gospel, take a look at the link from this site. It is, at the very least, enlightening.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...mparison-test/

Basic Member
    Eley is the only company I know of that shows the actual muzzle velocity of the ammo lot on their boxes.
    They provide that data on Tenex, Match and Edge boxes.
    The velocity is measured during their QA test of each lot through 6 Anschutz barrels.
    The information is only relative to other Eley lots and not specific to a particular rifle since barrel lengths vary on our rifles and barrel length will change muzzle velocity.
    That said, having shot a lot of Eley ammo in that class of ammos, I have measured very little difference in accuracy at 50 yards within the range of variation that Eley allows through in their Tenex, Match and Edge ammo.
    I would doubt that 20 fps would cause a change of 2x in group size but the point of impact might move a small amount.

At 50 yards, I am getting 1 moa groups with CCI sv, Aguila sv and Federal HV match.
    At 100 yards, only the cci stays within 1 moa. Both the Aguila and Federal open up. The Aguila to about 1.5 moa and the Federal is almost 2 moa.

I do not shoot competitions as I am not good enough yet. I cannot see spending $10+ a box as I can't see the difference in group size due to my shooting ability.

Jester

Basic Member
    At 100 yards, my test of accurate ammos are those that consistently average under 1 inch.
    The great ammos average under 0.9 inches.

There are a number of reasons ammos retain their relative group size between 50 and 100 yards.
    One is the consistency of the bullet weights - the higher priced ammos actually weigh their blanks before they form the bullets and reject blanks that fall outside of the quality range before they form them. That yields consistency that shows when you shoot 100 yard targets.
    The second is the transitional effects of passing through the sound barrier.

CCI SV is the only one of the three ammos you listed that has a subsonic muzzle velocity.
    If I remember correctly, Federal might be 1240 fps.
    I am not familiar with Aguila SV, but their SE comes in two flavors, one has a MV of 1130 but the other ( with the nickel casing and copper washed bullet has an MV of about 1255.

The CCI SV is not experiencing the transitional vibration the faster supersonic bullets (even the marginally subsonic SE at 1130) are probably experiencing the transition zone vibration around the sound barrier which is nominally 1125 at standard temperature and pressure.
    That transition buffeting, as light as it is, results in the trajectory changing enough to be able to see the results on the POI, especially at 100 yards.
    Since the buffeting is not consistent, the average group size generally increases.

You might try some Wolf Match Extra or SK Rifle Match and see how your rifle likes them. Both have muzzle velocities around 1050 fps, well under Mach 1.

As an aside, my grandson, shooting a Savage, managed a 5 round group under 0.5 at 100 yards with Center-X which is better than I have shot with Center-X (I shot a .585 5 round group at 100 yards years ago with Center-X.) You might try a box just to see how well it might work in your rifle. One box won't break the bank.

That great lot of Wolf Match Target that I mentioned in my first post shot a 0.497 group at 100 yards but that was an exceptional lot. Never got even close to that again at 100 yards with any other lot of Match Target or even with Match Extra.
    Lapua X-Act, at $26 a box, averaged 0.658 at 100 yards with one group at 0.423.
    Like I said, we don't shoot very much of that. I think I bought only 4 boxes of it, just to try it out.
    Lapua Midas+ averages about 0.14 bigger than X-Act at 100 yards for $ 16 a box and Center-X averages just a bit larger than Midas+ but is close to $10 a box in case lots.
    That class of ammos is expensive but, over a large sample, they have shown that they are much more accurate.

Those incredible single groups we all like to quote are anomalies - they happen less than 0.1% of the time and are probably the result of a combination of compensating errors and individual round variations.
    Last edited by CFJunkie; 11-03-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    At 100 yards, my test of accurate ammos are those that consistently average under 1 inch.
    The great ammos average under 0.9 inches.

There are a number of reasons ammos retain their relative group size between 50 and 100 yards.
    One is the consistency of the bullet weights - the higher priced ammos actually weigh their blanks before they form the bullets and reject blanks that fall outside of the quality range before they form them. That yields consistency that shows when you shoot 100 yard targets.
    The second is the transitional effects of passing through the sound barrier.

CCI SV is the only one of the three ammos you listed that has a subsonic muzzle velocity.
    If I remember correctly, Federal might be 1240 fps.
    I am not familiar with Aguila SV, but their SE comes in two flavors, one has a MV of 1130 but the other ( with the nickel casing and copper washed bullet has an MV of about 1255.

The CCI SV is not experiencing the transitional vibration the faster supersonic bullets (even the marginally subsonic SE at 1130) are probably experiencing the transition zone vibration around the sound barrier which is nominally 1125 at standard temperature and pressure.
    That transition buffeting, as light as it is, results in the trajectory changing enough to be able to see the results on the POI, especially at 100 yards.
    Since the buffeting is not consistent, the average group size generally increases.

You might try some Wolf Match Extra or SK Rifle Match and see how your rifle likes them. Both have muzzle velocities around 1050 fps, well under Mach 1.

As an aside, my grandson, shooting a Savage, managed a 5 round group under 0.5 at 100 yards with Center-X which is better than I have shot with Center-X (I shot a .585 5 round group at 100 yards years ago with Center-X.) You might try a box just to see how well it might work in your rifle. One box won't break the bank.

That great lot of Wolf Match Target that I mentioned in my first post shot a 0.497 group at 100 yards but that was an exceptional lot. Never got even close to that again at 100 yards with any other lot of Match Target or even with Match Extra.
    Lapua X-Act, at $26 a box, averaged 0.658 at 100 yards with one group at 0.423.
    Like I said, we don't shoot very much of that. I think I bought only 4 boxes of it, just to try it out.
    Lapua Midas+ averages about 0.14 bigger than X-Act at 100 yards for $ 16 a box and Center-X averages just a bit larger than Midas+ but is close to $10 a box in case lots.
    That class of ammos is expensive but, over a large sample, they have shown that they are much more accurate.

Those incredible single groups we all like to quote are anomalies - they happen less than 0.1% of the time and are probably the result of a combination of compensating errors and individual round variations.
    This is my normal at 50 yards....20 shot group with CCI SV

Jester

Basic Member
    Jester500,

Looking good. If your fingers are about the same size as mine, that looks like around a 1-inch 20-shot group.

The difference between a 5 round group and a 20 round group would come from reloading or resetting and changing your set up a bit as the rifle moves as you shoot it. A large group never matches a 5 round group in size.

I think that is a good sample group and shows your rifle likes CCI SV.

Good shooting.