Thread: Savage MK II BTVS questions

Basic Member

Savage MK II BTVS questions

I meant this is a BTVSS. I bought this and brought it home today. Is there any special break in procedure for the SS barrel ? Also I have a Nikon 3.5 - 14 scope and a Leupold 2-7 scope, which would be preferred ? The Nikon requires higher rings to clear the barrel but lines up with my eye really well. What mounts and rings do you guys recommend ?This will be a benchrest gun for 100 yards will it be accurate enough ? It has the laminated thumb hole stock is their anything special to kinow about it ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    I meant this is a BTVSS. I bought this and brought it home today. Is there any special break in procedure for the SS barrel ? Also I have a Nikon 3.5 - 14 scope and a Leupold 2-7 scope, which would be preferred ? The Nikon requires higher rings to clear the barrel but lines up with my eye really well. What mounts and rings do you guys recommend ?This will be a benchrest gun for 100 yards will it be accurate enough ? It has the laminated thumb hole stock is their anything special to kinow about it ?
    I wouldn't bother breaking it in, just shoot the piss out of it.

I use my MKII BV for long range so I'd prefer the Nikon.

I have a EGW 20MOA rail with Burris Signature Z rings.

I shoot my savage out to 400 yards believe it or not. At 100 yards it will shoot around 0.9 MOA with Eley Target and CCI Green Tag.

Nothing special I guess. If your comb isn't at the right height I would get one that velcros on.

I love my MK II BTVS. I use a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40mm. I use a front sandbag rest and am not as steady as I used to be, but still average under 2" groups at 100 yds with bulk Winchester and Remington or CCI Stinger .22LR. I didn't do anything special to break in, but as "Lee1000" said, just shoot the heck out of it. I love the thumbhole stock but need to increase the length-of-pull by 0.6" and slight increase in comb height.

Basic Member
    I put the Nikon scope on with the bdc and the cross hairs seem very thick so I changed it out for a Nikon rimfire 3-9 with finer cross hairs and like that much better. Groups got better also as is dime size at 50 yds, I haven't shot at 100 yds yet.
    What is a safe way to get the savage stickers off the laminated stock ? What is involved in lightening the trigger pull a little ?

Basic Member
    Stickers just peel off. No worry. Trigger is probably set about as light as expected, but the instructions are in the book. My BTVSS RJ shoots 1/2" 50yds all day long no fliers with Wolf Target Match or Eley Club. Lots of tighter ones too. I haven't done whit to it. Right out of the box. I'm using a $50 Bariska 8-24x50 I found at online WallyWorld with an extension shield on it. Shoots as good as my Rem 513T with 36X40 Leupold M8. That 40mm gets a bit dim sometimes with my old eyes.

If you are benchrest match shooting this rifle i would look at much higher magnification. I use a athlon argos btr 8-34×56 on mine currently and I'm trying to decide between putting this back on my 6.5 creedmoor 1000 yard fclass set up for my son or leave this on here and put the atlon argos btr 10-40×56 I'm ordering on the cm. I shoot 50 yard indoor br and fclass 50/100 yard outdoor leagues with my mark ii. I know my indoor league 10 ring under 1/8th inch is tough to see at 50 yards on 34 power.

My mark ii is going to www.savagegunsmithing.com today after i shoot my fclass match. He is doing his accurizing stuff to it and bedding it into a richards microfit benchrest stock for me.