Thread: Sightron SIII 6-24 or 8-32

Basic Member

Sightron SIII 6-24 or 8-32

I'm getting ready to purchase a Sightron SIII with MOA reticle. I've already got an S-Tac and am very impressed with it. I keep going back and forth between the 6-24 and the 8-32 model. I like the extra zoom but the reticle is calibrated at 24x on both of them and the 6-24 has more internal adjustment, albeit the 8-32 still has 70moa. It will be going on my 112 Magnum target and mostly be used for target shooting but will likely hunt with it some on occasion. I know the 8-32 will have less FOV. Those of you that have both, which do you prefer? Is there anything to benefit from the 32 that can't be done with the 24?

Basic Member
    I think everything points in the direction of the 6x24.
    But you need to be the judge based on how much you like power.
    I personaly don't need lots of power and prefer field over it. But then im a hunter and not a target shooter.
    I have an 8x32 NXS on a 338 Chey Tac. If I had my time over id have either kept my old scope or bought the 5.5x22 NXS.

Basic Member
    I like the fov and the adjustment range of the 6-24 as well. But then on the other hand, I like my 8-32’s for the power too lol. I’m a hunter too so I understand where you’re coming from.

I can only speak for the 6-24, but I can say there is probably not any need for the 8-32 unless you're planning on stretching it out past 1000 yards. At 1000 yards I can clearly see an 8" and 10" gong on 24X. I'm running a 20 MOA rail on my FFP (80 moa) and I have plenty of elevation left on my dial to get out to 1400 yards (although I never plan on shooting that far). the SFP SIII has 100 moa of adjustment, so you may not even need the canted rail.

The other thing to consider is how big the scopes are... the 6-24 is plenty big and I wouldn't want to be packing anything bigger for hunting. The choice is yours in the end, just throwing out my experience with the 6-24.

You chose a great scope (I absolutely love mine) and I'm sure you will love which ever one you choose. One thing to remember.... my 6-24 doesn't really focus very well under 50 yards.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm thinking I'm going to get the 6-24 as it does seem to be the more logical choice. I'm going with the SFP model so it will have 100 MOA adjustment to it. I knew it would be plenty but still kinda like the 32x as well. I don't plan on going past 1000 yards either. In fact, I've never shot that far yet but would like to start some day. I'll get the 24x first and then may end up getting the 32x later just for grins and giggles to try it out too.

Basic Member
    For years I have done target shooting with Sighttron 36x42mm single power 1 inch diameter tube target scopes with target dot reticles.
    I am a great believer in the adage, Aim small, hit small.
    I have 4 of them and swore by them.
    Having a target dot reticle that is less than 1/8 MOA is great when you want to eliminate the aiming issues caused by broad reticles.

Recently, on my 3 most accurate rifles, I migrated to using 8-32x56mm NightForce Benchrest scopes, even though they cost about 3x more than the Sightron 36X

I pleasantly discovered that my group averages have actually improved by about 10% using the NightForce scopes.

The max power of the NightForce is 32X versus the Sightron's 36X and I shoot on the bench at max power. It's not the power that makes the difference, it is whether you can set up consistently to achieve the most accurate results.
    I have less problem getting a consistent set up with the NightForce scopes than with the Sightron's and I think that is the reason for the improvement in groups sizes.
    I also believe that there is less parallax in the NightForce scopes and the added brightness of the enormous front optic makes it easier to see the reticle in low light.
    Last edited by CFJunkie; 10-18-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Post had unexpected line feeds making it hard to read

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    Recently, on my 3 most accurate rifles, I migrated to using 8-32x56mm NightForce Benchrest scopes, even though they cost about 3x more than the Sightron 36X I pleasantly discovered that my group averages have actually improved by about 10% using the NightForce scopes. I have less problem getting a consistent set up with the NightForce scopes than with the Sightron's and I think that is the reason for the improvement in groups sizes.
    There's always a trade off... seems to me, that having to go 3X deeper into one's pocket to only get a 10% improvement (on 1/2 MOA groups) doesn't calculate for me personally, but maybe it does for those of you who are competition guys. $3000+ vs. $700-$900 (for a .005" improvement in group size)?

I will admit that I'd love to have a NightForce ATACR, or an IOR Valdada... Just can't spend that much on an Optic myself.

Basic Member
    Neither can I. I think the sightron optics are pretty darned good. And I know the nightforce is awesome and tuff optics. But for my uses, I just can’t justify/afford spending $2k+ for optics. Especially for multiple rifles.

Basic Member
    I have both scopes you are looking at.
    I also like the extra power of the 32 but 90% of the time I find myself shooting at 25 power or less.
    That is one reason I purchased the 24 power.
    In the end, it is your decision, but I would also go with the 24 power
    Jack

Basic Member
    Theres a guy on the Long Range Hunting site trying to sell a mint cond 8x32 Nightforce benchrest w/ 1/8 min clicks right now for about $1000 in the box. lots of pics.
    He wants a 1/4 min click version. I told him a minit is a minit so stop counting clicks.
    I have one in the NXS version and it is a great scope, but dosent have the adjustment range that some of the other Nightforce's have, and a regular benchrest model has less than the NXS model. So check all that out if you dial for any serious distance.

Basic Member
    I own 2 6-24 SIII and 1 8-32. My 260 wears the 8-32 because most of the shooting is inside 1000 and at small targets. So I like the magnification better. My 6-24 are on my 300 and 338. The 300 is a hunting only rifle for mid-long Range. And the 6-24 with Illuminated reticle fits the bill nicely.
    The 338 Lapua on the other hand is only for long range/ELR shooting. And I wouldn’t trade out the 6-24 for the 8-32. The 6-24 has more adjustment and if your attempting to spot your shots at longer ranges the further you zoom in the less chance you have at seeing your impact. The rifle moves obviously but the fov on 24 is more than the 32 and I would probably turn the 32 down to 24 for that reason. All rifles have 20 moa bases. The sightron has plenty to adjust for 100 or 300 yard zero and there’s no sense setting the rifle up without one.

You up can always use less moa of travel then your scope/base allows. But putting a 0 moa Base on a Long Range rifle is a handicap in my opinion.

FYI- I do own a NF as well. That being said I still love my sightrons

Basic Member
    I got the 8-32 on my 300 wsm build. I absolutely love the magnification. Even at short range. Hunting gun that moves more often than stationary i would rather have a smaller scope but theres only about a 1/3 inch length diff between 24 and 32 scopes so why not buy the power? It does seem to be advertised at around 100$ more tho. I got mine on sale from optics planet plus extra discount codes from previous purchases. It was well worth it. Great scope
    i have a 30moa base and feel i can dial in to a mile if need be

Basic Member
    I haven't checked in here in a while and have just gotten around to reading the last replies. Thanks for all the advice. I ended up scrounging and saving up my pennies and I actually bought one of each. I have not had time to get them mounted and shoot with them yet but so far just looking through them, I am impressed. I'm hoping to get them set up over the winter and spring and really try them out.