Thread: 25-06 stability worries

Basic Member

25-06 stability worries

So I have a load worked up for my 25-06 that involves a 117 grain game king, now I’m hearing that though it may be accurate at 100 it can all fall apart further down range with a 1 in 10 twist.

Has anyone had this experience with this caliber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of such a claim. I rebarreled my 25-06 with an old Savage varmint barrel 26" and it is one of the best rifles I have. Shot the 117 for about three years no issues with deer killed farthest at 175. I switched to 115 partition because of so many close shots the 117s were blowing up on deer destroying a lot of meat. I also had a varmint 25-06AI savage barrel for a bit no issues. Unsure what twist my barrels are.

Basic Member
    Someone told me that bullets can be stable at 100 and key hole at 400, got me worrying

Call Sierra's tech line. It's free and they will give you accurate information. In their reloading Manual V, Sierra used a Savage 112, 1-10 Twist for their testing of 117gr bullets in 25-06.

If its stable at 100 its stable at 400 and probably even more so since the rate of spin decay is less than velocity decay. I shoot the 115 Berger VLD out of mine with no issues. It's much longer than the Game King. An easy way to check is to go shoot it at 400 yards and see what happens. I'm willing to bet you will be very pleased with the results.

Basic Member
    Oh cheers for the info, makes you wonder about the ideas some people have out there haha

I have used the 25/06 hunting over several years with great results. The one in 10 twist is standard for that caliber. The 250 savage had i believe a one in 12 that limited bullets to approximately 100 grains. Used the 115 grain partition, no problems
    Ackley was right all along

Basic Member
    Thanks again, has put my concerns to bed

Basic Member

Angry

I second the notion of shooting your rifle at the intended distance you intend to hunt game to. It will give you much solace and insight.

I use my 25-06’s for coyotes at long range so I don’t get into the heavy bullets much but they are a mighty good “laser” on a coyote. My best thus far is 435 yds on a coyote that faced me. He refused to turn broad side. A Speer 87 gr TNT through the lungs head on stopped him from cussing me and my stock dogs. That was from a Marlin XL7. A Browning bolt gun of mine out shoots that Marlin by some margin.

I have the Savage varmint 26” in stainless another member mentioned above. While it shot fine for me, my arms began dragging the ground due to the rifle’s added weight so I took it back off. That was my very first Savage barrel swap BTW.

I also acquired another of that barrel that has been reamed out to the seldom seen 257 STW wildcat. I have not worked that one out entirely and I need to get back to it to do it justice. They say you need the Federal 215 primer for that one. I now have that primer so it deserves my attention.

I also do 25-20, 25-35, 25 Rem, 250-3000, 257 Roberts as well.

Have I mentioned I like the 25’s?

Best regards

Three44s