Thread: Narrowing down my options

Narrowing down my options

I have .270 used primarily for hunting and 100 yard bench shooting. I'd like to stretch the legs out to 400-500 yards just for fun, but it's primarily a hunting rifle.

The rifle came with a cheap 3-9x40 Bushnell. I don't remember the model, but it's cheap. I recently came into possession of $200 Amazon gift card, so I'm ready to upgrade the scope.

I've been in scope hell the past couple days, poring over all the options and lusting over $1000 scope that are way out of my price range. After creating a spreadsheet to better keep up with the viable options, I've narrowed it down. But first, here's my preferences:
    • Must be less than $400 on Amazon (since that's where I have a gift card). I know other places might be cheaper, but I have $200 of free money.
    • Higher magnification than 9x, prefer at least 12x or more
    • Illuminated reticle is a very nice to have for low light.
    • Glass MUST be clear because a lot of hunting is at dusk and dawn, or with the case of hogs, at night with a hog light.
    • Prefer objective larger than 40mm. Not sure, just want it.

All that being said, I've narrowed this down to the following:
    • Nikon Prostaff 7 3-12x42
    • Nikon Prostaff 7 4-16x42
    • Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 4-12x40 or 4-12x50 - can't find a lot of reviews, but the Whiskey 5 seems to be very good.
    • Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 - 6.5x is probably too much for hunting
    • Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50

I feel confident in the reputation of Nikon's glass to just go with that. But Sightron and Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 are very intriguing, the Sig especially because of the lighted reticle. While I couldn't find many reviews of the Whiskey 3, they were all very positive. The 6.5x of the Vortex Viper at the low end might be too much for hunting applications.

Thoughts? Opinions? I don't need to reach out to 1000 yards. Most of my hunting is probably 275 yards max.

I just realized I left the Athlon off my list of options. I'm also considering the Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15x50.

Team Savage
    I installed that very Athlon on a friends rifle , i was very impressed

I really like my Leupold 3.5-10 x 40mm VX-3i Riflescope - Duplex

it sits on my .270 and is great at dusk and dawn as I too use this riffle hog
    https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-3-5-1.../dp/B018YKYBVG

might want to add this one to the list.

The Sightron is going to have the best glass of the ones you listed, but the Athlon line is probably adequate for your application. The Athlon and Sightron are going to have the best turret systems with the Sightron being the best... I have the Sightron SIII on my long range rifle and it is absolutely the best scope I've ever had. Tracking is as close to perfect as one can get IMO.

The Athlon (from what I have seen/heard) will track well enough to get you hits at 500 yards... Glass is pretty good, and at $300 roughly, it's probably the best bang for your buck.

Basic Member
    I have the Sightron S-Tac 4-20 with MOA reticle and it's pretty sweet. My understanding is that it has the same glass as the SIII and same tracking erector system too. Just made in the Philippines instead of Japan so is cheaper. Love the MOA reticle and the glass is great.

Thanks for the replies. I'm very interested in the Sightron, but one complaint of the MOA3 reticle (which is my preference) is it can be hard to see in low light.

Nothing on the Sig Whiskey 3? Not sure why it intrigues me so much, but it's a very good looking scope.

Quote Originally Posted by notenuftoys View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm very interested in the Sightron, but one complaint of the MOA3 reticle (which is my preference) is it can be hard to see in low light.

Nothing on the Sig Whiskey 3? Not sure why it intrigues me so much, but it's a very good looking scope.
    The S-tac is a Second focal plane (SFP) scope as apposed to a First focal plane (FFP). I have a FFP on my SIII and when I am zoomed up to 24X I have no problem seeing my reticle which is actually an MOA-2 reticle. With the S-tac you should have no problem seeing the reticle in low light, especially if you aren't zoomed in to 20X. Additionally, it has caps for the turrets, so you won't accidentally knock your zero off.

Basic Member
    My vote would go to the Nikon Prostaff 7 in 4-16x. Unless you hunt some seriously thick areas, 4x on the bottom end in plenty. That being said, I have zero personal knowledge of the Sightron.