Thread: My current Savage axis build thread .338-06

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

My current Savage axis build thread .338-06

This is my current build and my responsibility. If anyone decides to copy any of it, it is your responsibility. Do so at your own risk.

So Midway had the ultimate varmint stock for long actions on sale for $139. I have model 12 in 308 in a Choate stock and like the feel. Plus I like the look, better than the ultimate sniper model. I like the show "The Shooter", but can't afford the real rifle the black king in the show is based off. So I thought it would be cool to use a stock that had a similar look. And since they were selling it for much less than usual, I could afford to butcher it and not feel bad.

The donor rifle is a axis 30-06. Here begins the list of problems. Receiver screw spacing, lug position, trigger group pocket, and magazine type are all different from this stock than the axis.

I opted to position the receiver based on the rear screw. It looked like it aligned with the mag well pretty good as well as put the trigger in a good spot that was comfortable for me. I then took a blue sharpie to use as layout dye and colored the aluminum about where my interference was in the front lug area and the rear trigger block. Then used a "k"drill bit to locate the trigger block in the stock. It was a very tight fit so I felt good it was not going to move while I scribed the outline. I ended up going down .410" from the top edge of the rear "v" in bedding block. This allowed good clearance for complete trigger group.

I then screwed receiver down into stock using the rear screw and scribed the edge of the receiver. I'm going to use a std recoil lug instead of the axis style. I cut a lot off the face of the front "v". I don't have the measurement right now but it had to have been .200" or more. Edit: .300".

I am waiting on recoil lug and new barrel nut before I can go any further. But I did slap it together for a photo op. The scope is not staying on there. That is my cheap slam on anything scope till I decide what I want.

Well it looks like I am too new to post pics of anything and I can't delete this either for some reason. The only thing I found on posting pics was for paid members.
    Last edited by Txriflefan; 08-28-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Got correct measurement