Thread: Another new Athalon.

Basic Member

Another new Athalon.

I just got a new Athalon Talos BTR 4-14x44 FFP for my Kimber Classic 280 AI. I got it for $300 from Cabelas, and I have had plenty of scopes around that price range and I really like this one a LOT. The glass is better than expected.

In this price range I have or had the Cabelas Covenant 4-16, SWFA SS10x, SWFA SS12x and the Bushnell Engage 4-16.

Quick comparisons, I think the Talos has as good of glass as the Engage (which is really good!) and better than the others. The turrets are not as good as the SWFA's (or even close) or the Engage, but actually felt pretty similar to the Cabelas Covenant in that the clicks were not hard defined clicks, but were adequate and felt plenty good for what I need.
    I like the reticle a LOT for a hunting rifle, it is the APLR2 in MIL, which is a .2 MIL with windage... so kind of a Christmas tree. If this doesn't make you a fan of a FFP for hunting, then nothing will. It is similar to the Cabelas Covenant in a lot of respects, but that (cabelas) is an MOA and not a mil, but both have a floating aim point and are Christmas tree style. The SWFA scopes I have are Milquad, and very nice and uncluttered for turrets that you dial, but for hunting I really like the windage on the reticle so I don't have to dial all the time when I am in a hurry, but it does hinder spotting misses.

The only thing I haven't done is test the tracking and return to zero. Since I only shot the rifle 7 times (4 to sight in and a group of 3) with this scope, I haven't taken it out long yet. I imagine it will be 2 weeks before I can do that.
    Overall, this is a really nice scope, I can't wait to put some rounds way down range... I absolutely LOVE this reticle.

Positives- FFP with a fantastic reticle pretty good glass and a great magnification range for hunting.
    Negatives- the turrets don't have a great feel to them, and it uses plastic washers for a zero stop.
    Unknown- I am not sure how it tracks and returns to zero yet and being on the low price range for a tactical scope I am not sure of the durability yet.

I love all of my athlons. For the money they are hard to beat in my opinion. Most people talk trash on them, but I doubt most have used one. I have a cronus, ares, and argos scope and just got cronus binos. I'm all about getting the most for your money and not paying for a name and I think they nail that with each line.

Here's a picture of the cronus on my 300wm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Basic Member

Update.

Just to update on the scope performance. I have shot out to 300 many different times and 540 a couple times and the turrets have allowed me to shoot under a MOA and on target at both ranges. I felt pretty confident with the scope, but I got a mind blowing deal on a Zeiss Conquest V4 in about the same magnification range that I swapped out just before deer season. It is back in its original box, and waiting for the next rifle to go on.
    I also degreased the turrets and put in some of the grease as per the instructions on youtube and it greatly improved the feel of the turrets.

Overall I think it is VERY worth the cost and would have no problem recommending it. I know at 540 and 300 yards I have not really given the turrets a workout yet, but the little it has been dialed has been pretty darn good.

For a FFP Hunting scope, it is really nice!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the review, I'm looking for something similar.

Basic Member
    just want to add that i picked up the new Athlon Midas Tac in 6x24x50 great optics and turrets, it rivals my Sightron SIII's for less money

chet