Thread: Savage 110 Date of Manufacture/type

Savage 110 Date of Manufacture/type

Good morning, I'm looking to possibly re-barrel and change the stock on my old Savage 110 in 308win, but don't know the exact type(SA first Gen etc) as parts houses ask for this information. The s/n is 58512.
    TY.
    Additional information, on barrel there is a circle with "12S" , a letter "L", a circle with "24S", the letters SP in a circle and to the left of the "PROOF TESTED CAL. 308 WIN" a circle with 25S.
    Last edited by Cerisecons; 08-25-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added information from barrel

Mid to late 1965 production (1st Gen). Your rifle should have the old-style shrouded bolt with band-style extractor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoltComparison1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	5137
    Pre-1966 on left; Post 1966 on right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoltComparison2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	5138
    Pre-1966 on top; Post 1966 on bottom

None of the pre-fit barrels offered will fit your rifle as in 1966 Savage changed to the current bolt design and all the pre-fits are for the newer style bolt. You could replace the entire bolt assembly, but doing so is cost prohibitive in this day and age. By the time you bought a complete new bolt and the new barrel you could just buy a brand new rifle in your caliber of choice.

This isn't to say you can't rebarrel your rifle, you'll just have to have a reputable gunsmith do the job for you.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Well thank you, yes, that's the bolt etc. It's a bummer as I have all the reloading components, dies etc for the new cartridge I'm planning, 260 Remington, luckily most of the components besides the case gauge was acquired w/o cost. Guess I need to add another rifle to the fold, probably try to find a good used one as 260 doesn't appear that often.

Good morning, OK, in my search for a nice used Savage 110 to possibly re-barrel to the 260 as noted above, I found a possible target, but have a few questions, first it's an E59xxxx serial, so appears to be 1985 ish vintage, second it's currently in 7mmRemMag so it's a long action, can this action accept a 260 barrel and a bolt swap?

I'm sure this is an elementary question, as I'm certainly not savvy on Savage rifles, yet

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, that action would work, but I would make two suggestions....

1. If looking at older staggered-feed Savage's made prior to 2005-ish, find one that is already setup for a cartridge in the .308 family (308, 7mm-08, 243, etc.) or the .30-06 family if you want a long action (270, 30-06, 25-06, etc). The reason I say this is because staggered feed box magazines are getting very hard to find which could sideline your project in short order if you have to change it out.

or

2. Look for a newer 2005+ centerfeed rifle to base your build around, but avoid on in a short magnum (WSM's for instance) as these use a different firing pin assembly/front baffle/lug thickness that would need changed out when going to a standard .473 bolt head.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thank you for the information, I figured the LA might be an issue for mag length etc.
    I'll keep my eyes open for a newer than 05 SA.

Shouldn't have feeding issues with the long-action, but I can't say for certain as I haven't done it on an older staggered feed. I do have a .284 Winchester in an centerfeed L/A that feeds just fine with an '06 magazine.

One thing to consider - I assume you're planning on shooting the longer VLD-type match bullets, and as such the long-action would give you more room to seat the bullets out further.

Thank you, Great point, as I had been considering that, I'll have to check the LGS to see if it's still available.