Thread: Forum based shooting match

Forum based shooting match

I was part if a monthly shooting match biased on the a forum a while back and really I enjoyed it. Was wondering if anyone wanted to take the task on every month to post a target and a course of fire. I think It would be neat to do a savage rifle only competition then maybe a open class comp.
    If no one wants to do it I will take the job on to post it up every month. (I might not always compete due to family reasons) but I should be able to post a target every month with course of fire if no one wants to.
    I think this would be a fun way to get some competitiveness going. Also just another excuse to get to the range.
    Let me know what you think?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    "Build it and they will come"

Sounds fun, post a target.

For whoever assumes the roll of match director I will buy them a Next Level Savage Shooters Teeshirt

https://teespring.com/stores/savage-shooters

I'll give it to the end of the day eastern time then if no one wants it I will post up a target for September 2018

Ok no takers I'll start a new thread called September 2018 monthly shooting comp

I've been toying around with the idea of starting up a 22LR rimfire match again to bring some interest back to the rimfire boards. Course of fire would be the same every month. What I had in mind was shooting at three distances from three positions

Off-Hand (sling only) at 25 yards
    Kneeling or Sitting w/sling, bipod or shooting stix at 50 yards
    Prone or from a bench at 100 yards

Those with mobility issues could use a chair/stool for the sitting/kneeling stage. No 1-piece rests or rests that clamp to the bench. No dedicated benchrest or F-Class rifles with a 3" or wider flat forearm (must be a rounded forearm no more than 2.75" in width at it's widest point).

For targets I was thinking standard NRA Smallbore T/Q targets for the given ranges as they're easy to find online and they're cheap at less than $8/per 100 for each size so for around $25-30 you'd have enough targets to shoot every month for 8+ years if you only shot one of each per month. Scoring would be by best edge and winner would be the one who had the best combined score for all three targets/distances.

I think most would find this to be both fun and challenging as a great many shooters (myself included) rarely practice shooting from different practical shooting positions. This would force everyone to get out of their comfort zone by shooting in those other positions and help them become better overall marksmen at the same time.

If this is something guys would be interested in doing I'll finish set up the guidelines and run it and KTMracer can run the centerfire stuff.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I oversee an NRA sanctioned national postal match for 3-position smallbore... Perhaps I can be of assistance?

We use the A-17 targets at 50 feet, for all three positions:
    Prone
    Kneeling
    Standing (no sling)

NRA Rules for Light Rifle apply. Any sight, weight limit is 8.5 lbs, min 2 lbs trigger pull.

These would just be informal matches for fun with each person scoring their own targets based around the honor system. As such the idea is to keep the rules as simple and straight forward as possible to make it easy for everyone to enjoy. It's more about just getting folks out shooting and sharing their results than it is the competition itself.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    These would just be informal matches for fun with each person scoring their own targets based around the honor system. As such the idea is to keep the rules as simple and straight forward as possible to make it easy for everyone to enjoy. It's more about just getting folks out shooting and sharing their results than it is the competition itself.
    I completely understand that, I'm just explaining what we do. Offer still stands, if ya need some help, let me know.

Team Savage
    "NRA Rules for Light Rifle apply. Any sight, weight limit is 8.5 lbs, min 2 lbs trigger pull"

That right there would have taken the FUN out of it for me. I don't need no/want no stinken rules.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

It would be nice to see the Savage Shooters Email Match start up again. I think I still have a bunch of the old certificates from when I ran it.

I've started a monthly match on here for September. I have not been around long enough to remember the email match, but if you want to complete in the one I have started anyone is welcome.