Thread: Blem bullets?

Basic Member

Blem bullets?

Is it really worth saving a couple pennies with the blems? Post your experience, good or bad. Thanks

Basic Member
    I assume your talking about the ones midway sells? If so, I have bought several hundred over the years and have not had any issues. Some had visible tarnish , some just look like brand new bullets. I have weighed and measured all the ones I have ever got and on most of them, I can not figure out what the "blem" is. One box of .224 bullets I got had the canalure vary from bullet to bullet by just a few hairs, but other than that they shot fine.
    Some were at such a good price it was hard to pass up, while others have only been 1-2 dollars less than a new box, so I did not bother. All shot fine, did not notice any abnormal accuracy issues. I just treat them as if they were "bulk" bullets and use them for practice or plinking when I do not want to shoot up my good match bullets.
    Only issue is you never know what brand/manufacture they are, and most times, the picture is not the exact bullet you will get. I was able to compare some of the bullets I got to pictures of new bullets and was able to guess that they were most likely "xx" brand, while other boxes I never found one that matched.
    All in all, I think if you can get a good enough deal, the are usually worth it. I have yet to get a box that I ended up throwing away because they were so bad. I load for many different guns so I can always find something to shoot them out of.

Basic Member
    Yes, the ones from midway and midsouth. They are hornady by the weights given. When it says " heavy on one end...undersize...." It makes you wonder if they are worth the powder. Thanks for the reply.

Basic Member
    If you are using the 2nd's for plinking or shooting inside 200 yards there should be no issue. If your working up loads to shoot out long range i would spend the extra money knowing your bullets are up to spec.

Basic Member
    I have a close friend who has taken many trips to Colorado. He goes a little out of his way every couple years for a stop at Sierra.
    They have a retail store where you can buy their bullets. Also barrels holding the rejects of every bullet they make.
    They are sold by the pound no boxes, just put in bags. Large peanut butter jars and such make perfect containers, and ive got lots of em.
    Some might have lead oozing out the front like toothpaste, and I do recommend removing that lol, but otherwise i just shoot them.
    And you know what, so do the employees at Sierra.

I've had no problems with Nosler blems/seconds. Sometimes the plastic tips look a little funny but they still shoot good.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

I have used blems for several years now from midway. No problems other than maybe a canalure out of place.
    Ackley was right all along

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    I've had no problems with Nosler blems/seconds. Sometimes the plastic tips look a little funny but they still shoot good.
    Me either.

Basic Member
    I'm done with them...Tried some 117s in the 1/4 bores, wouldn't shoot...Tried some 129 bonded 6.5s, couldn't make them shoot either.
    Like a gluten for punishment this summer I picked up a couple hundred 143 6.5s....nope.
    When my regular order of first line 143 eldx showed up the groups came back.
    Don't get me wrong I shot some decent groups under 1/2 moa. But a flier every 2 or three groups (sometimes not me) made a .5moa rifle shoot 1-1/2" groups at a 100 yards. Fine for water jugs & steel but not for hunting rifles.
    I am using them for fireforming now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    I'm done with them...Tried some 117s in the 1/4 bores, wouldn't shoot...Tried some 129 bonded 6.5s, couldn't make them shoot either.
    Like a gluten for punishment this summer I picked up a couple hundred 143 6.5s....nope.
    When my regular order of first line 143 eldx showed up the groups came back.
    Don't get me wrong I shot some decent groups under 1/2 moa. But a flier every 2 or three groups (sometimes not me) made a .5moa rifle shoot 1-1/2" groups at a 100 yards. Fine for water jugs & steel but not for hunting rifles.
    I am using them for fireforming now.
    Have you ever experienced seeing the wtf expression on a prairie dogs face following a very close miss?
    Well at least for me its more fun than seeing red mist, and you just might even get to see it all over again.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't drive all that way just so I can miss a bunch of prairie dogs, but missing can be fun also if we allow it to be.
    So while shooting great groups and scores can certainly be rewarding, it's not everything for everybody, and those are the ones who can benefit from the factory rejects.
    As the old cliché goes, (if you don't mind, it don't really matter.)

Basic Member
    Just finished fireforming a batch of 6.5/257 Bob A.I.s
    Yesterday's groups with 143 seconds were terrible today I shot another 20 or so with first line bullets
    Shot good enough that I could hunt with them if I had to.
    Seconds and my shooting just don't go together. I have never tried anything smaller than 25s so I will not pass judgement on them.
    Good shooting