Thread: 110 Desert Tactical 6.5CM Stock help needed!

110 Desert Tactical 6.5CM Stock help needed!

Hello, as my first entry into long range shooting, I purchase the newly released 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5CM. Despite the model name, it wasn't purchased for tactical use, but for benchrest F-Class competition.

The first issue I am encountering is stock compatibility. From what little I have learned, previous 110s were all long action and this is a short action. It has 4.4" spread on the mounting bolts vs. 5".

I spoke to Savage customer service to find out about stock compatibility and they said that model is not the same as other Savage models, the closest being the Storm. I wrongly assumed that within a series the mounting methods would be common and I could buy any of the numerous benchrest stocks available.

Savage said that the model had a different recoil lug than other models and perhaps other differences. Needless to say, I don't know what if any other models it is compatible with leaving me not knowing what I can purchase that will bolt together.

Several companies flat out told me they don't have a compatible stock, other companies say their model XXX is compatible. I am concerned about those who say they have a compatible stock if they are just basing that on model or that it is a short action.

This is a recap of the responses I have gotten:

Stockys: "Essentially your model is a 10/12 action and those would be the options you would look at on our site. As far as we are aware there are no other differences in the action besides the name."

Boyds: In reference to the different recoil lug "Yes that is correct. We checked into this further and we do not offer anything for this." This was after referring me to their model 10 compatible stocks. When I asked again about the recoil lug they changed their tune.

McMillan: "Your action isnÂ’t anything different than a regular Savage. The 110 tactical has the AICS DBM system and is in the new Accufit stock, but the action is just like the rest."

Richards Microfit: "we don't have any stocks for your action"

Due to the differing answers, my first impression is the people who said they didn't have a stock might know about the change to the recoil lug or some other reason they don't have a compatible stock. The ones who say I can use their model 10 stocks might not have seen or spec'd these new 110s.

Pardon my ignorance, but given the answers, it seems the stock companies don't know either :)

Thanks,
    Lew

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Testshoot View Post
    Hello, as my first entry into long range shooting, I purchase the newly released 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5CM. Despite the model name, it wasn't purchased for tactical use, but for benchrest F-Class competition.

The first issue I am encountering is stock compatibility. From what little I have learned, previous 110s were all long action and this is a short action. It has 4.4" spread on the mounting bolts vs. 5".

I spoke to Savage customer service to find out about stock compatibility and they said that model is not the same as other Savage models, the closest being the Storm. I wrongly assumed that within a series the mounting methods would be common and I could buy any of the numerous benchrest stocks available.

Savage said that the model had a different recoil lug than other models and perhaps other differences. Needless to say, I don't know what if any other models it is compatible with leaving me not knowing what I can purchase that will bolt together.

Several companies flat out told me they don't have a compatible stock, other companies say their model XXX is compatible. I am concerned about those who say they have a compatible stock if they are just basing that on model or that it is a short action.

This is a recap of the responses I have gotten:

Stockys: "Essentially your model is a 10/12 action and those would be the options you would look at on our site. As far as we are aware there are no other differences in the action besides the name."

Boyds: In reference to the different recoil lug "Yes that is correct. We checked into this further and we do not offer anything for this." This was after referring me to their model 10 compatible stocks. When I asked again about the recoil lug they changed their tune.

McMillan: "Your action isnÂ’t anything different than a regular Savage. The 110 tactical has the AICS DBM system and is in the new Accufit stock, but the action is just like the rest."

Richards Microfit: "we don't have any stocks for your action"

Due to the differing answers, my first impression is the people who said they didn't have a stock might know about the change to the recoil lug or some other reason they don't have a compatible stock. The ones who say I can use their model 10 stocks might not have seen or spec'd these new 110s.

Pardon my ignorance, but given the answers, it seems the stock companies don't know either :)

Thanks,
    Lew
    I love savage but have always had issues with their being a good variety of stocks available. With one of mine, I actually called savage and they were able to give me a list of compatible stocks (although I dont think it was a exhaustive list) it's strange to me that it's a 110 and not long action.. to my understanding it has for a long while been XX=short and XXX=long.
    As for how you use the stock, personally I dont think it matters, it's what you train to use that matters, some factors do apply like if it's a full bedded free floating stock then the style really is aesthetic in value only because if you get used to f class shooting with that stock then you will shoot just as well as if you get accustomed to a different stock.. hardware quality aside, one think they grill in the military is muscle memory. I would say if it's a full bed free float stock just go with it :) just my opinion, I'm sure many may disagree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sent ya an email, Lew. Give me a call.

-Maxwell at McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I love savage but have always had issues with their being a good variety of stocks available. With one of mine, I actually called savage and they were able to give me a list of compatible stocks (although I dont think it was a exhaustive list) it's strange to me that it's a 110 and not long action.. to my understanding it has for a long while been XX=short and XXX=long.
    As for how you use the stock, personally I dont think it matters, it's what you train to use that matters, some factors do apply like if it's a full bedded free floating stock then the style really is aesthetic in value only because if you get used to f class shooting with that stock then you will shoot just as well as if you get accustomed to a different stock.. hardware quality aside, one think they grill in the military is muscle memory. I would say if it's a full bed free float stock just go with it :) just my opinion, I'm sure many may disagree.
    You are correct regarding the naming convention, but it seems that is another "rule" that no longer applies.

From my limited F-class knowledge I have been accumulating like a sponge, there are several things that are desirable.
    1. a 3" wide, flat forend, some manufacturers are offsetting the forearm 3/4" inch to offset for torque
    2. the forend is parallel to the barrel
    3. the butt stock is flat and parallel to the barrel and the forend

As a temporary solution, I have removed the two front swivel studs and replaced them with a flat aluminum plate parallel with the barrel. It looks really Mickey Mouse and isn't as firm as I wish but a step closer to ideal.

An ideal representative of what I am looking for is the McMillan model which is called their "F-Class" model, made for F-Class competition.

Thanks!

As of January 1, 2018, Savage stopped referring to actions as 10 or 110 and now refers to everything as a three digit number. The 110 can be a short or long action just as the Rem 700 can be a short or long action.

Quote Originally Posted by Blckwlf View Post
    As of January 1, 2018, Savage stopped referring to actions as 10 or 110 and now refers to everything as a three digit number. The 110 can be a short or long action just as the Rem 700 can be a short or long action.

Correct. If you go by screw spacing you will know the action length and in in the short actions case the magazine type. The Staggerfed long action shares the screw spacing but the mag inlet is different. Next issue is top or bottom bolt release. There are some other issues in the hsitory of savages to look out for but those are getting rarer. Stick to the more modern actions and you are GTG.

Team Savage
    I also just purchased a Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. It is built using the same Savage short action (SA), center feed (CF:4.40" spacing), top bolt release (TBR) action as the current Savage SA, Center Feed models (10, 11, 12, 14, 16), or the Cabela's 12FV. The Savage Accufit/Accustock is what has changed. This model also comes with a AICS magazine frame assembly. The metal AICS magazine frame assembly (surround) is a stand alone part. The newly designed trigger guard and AICS magazine frame assembly are not one part. The older Savage metal DBM/HFP frame assembly will fit/work in the new Accufit-Accustock. The Accustock recoil lug is narrower and shorter than a standard Savage recoil lug. Therefore, a barreled action with a standard Savage recoil lug will not fit into an Accustock, but a barreled action with an Accustock recoil lug will fit into a Savage SA, CF, DBM or BM stock.

The new Savage AICS magazine frame assembly on the Savage 110 Desert Tactical would not fit into any of my Savage factory or aftermarket stocks with the current Savage SA, CF, DBM/HPF inlet. Bottom line: The Savage 110 Desert Tactical barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor will fit into a Savage factory or aftermarket, SA, CF (4.40"), TBR stock with a varmint barrel channel. However, the new Savage AICS magazine frame assembly will not drop into a Savage SA (10, 11, 12, 14, 16), CF, DBM stock inlet without some significant fitting work. You would also need a Savage metal DBM frame assembly, SA metal magazine box and follower, and metal bottom plate. A Savage SA, CF, TBR Blind Magazine (BM) stock would also work with a Sharp Shooter Supply single-shot ramp.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-22-2018 at 10:30 AM.

That was more detail than I could have possibly hoped for. That is great news....if I go forward with changing the rifle to F-Class, then the magazine issues are moot.

You said a "light varmint barrel" Although the Savage site says both Tacticals are heavy barrel, when you read the specs it says the FDE is heavy, and the Gray is medium-heavy with fluting. The 110 Varmint just says "varmint" barrel, not referring to it as heavy or whatever. Is there a reference to the various Savage contours? I spent a fair amount of time researching for them and found nothing. I also was unable to find a Savage store where I might have thought the barrels would have been for sale and those details would have been delineated.

Thanks VERY much for all the thorough info on the topic!

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    I also just purchased a Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. It is built using the same Savage short action (SA), center feed (CF:4.40" spacing), top bolt release (TBR) action as the current Savage SA, Center Feed models (10, 11, 12, 14, 16), or the Cabela's 12FV. The Savage Accufit/Accustock is what is what has changed. This model also comes with a ACIS magazine frame assembly. The metal ACIS magazine frame assembly (surround) is a stand alone part. The newly designed trigger guard and ACIS magazine frame assembly are not one part. The older Savage metal DBM/HFP frame assembly will fit/work in the new Accufit-Accustock. The Accustock recoil lug is narrower and shorter than a standard Savage recoil lug. Therefore, a barreled action with a standard Savage recoil lug will not fit into an Accustock, but a barreled action with an Accustock recoil lug will fit into a Savage SA, CF stock.

The new Savage ACIS magazine frame assembly on the Savage 110 Desert Tactical would not fit into any of my Savage factory or aftermarket stocks with the current Savage SA, CF, DBM/HPF inlet. Bottom line: The Savage 110 Desert Tactical barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor will fit into a Savage factory or aftermarket, SA, CF (4.40"), TBR stock with a light varmint barrel channel. However, the new Savage ACIS magazine frame assembly will not fit into a Savage SA (10, 11, 12, 14, 16), CF, DBM stock unless you do some significant fitting work. You would also need to get a Savage metal DBM frame assembly, SA metal magazine box and follower and metal bottom plate. A Savage SA, CF, TBR Blind Magazine (BM) stock would also work with a Sharp Shooter Supply single-shot ramp.
    So if I managed to track down one of those stocks and bottom metals, I would need a different recoil lug to use it with my 12FV? Is that correct? So that would mean pulling the barrel and re-headpacing and stuff?

Team Savage
    My Savage Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor has a 26" barrel with straight taper. The barrel is 0.895" at the base of the muzze thread protector. It's definately a heavy to light varmint barrel contour.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-22-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Team Savage
    Yes. The Cabela's 12FV has a standard Savage recoil lug. You would need to change it to an Accustock recoil lug if you want a drop-in-fit with the Accustock including the new Accufit-Accustock.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-22-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    My Savage Desert Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor has a 26" barrel with straight taper. The barrel is 0.895" at the base of the muzze thread protector. It's definately a heavy to light varmint barrel contour.
    My 6.5CM is only .76 or so. At the front of the forearm it is around .89. Wonder why they made yours straight and tapered mine?

As an aside, if you were going to move that action to a "regular" stock, would you put on a model 10 recoil lug for the additional surface area on the rear of it?

Team Savage
    Depends on the aftermarket stock you choose. I assume you are going to need to pillar and glass/epoxy bed any of the wood/laminated aftermarket stocks to get the most accuracy potential. The Accustock recoil lug should work fine until you need to replace the factory barrel with a custom match barrel for F-Class. At that time, I would replace the factory recoil lug with an aftermarket precession ground recoil lug.

I understand wanting to change the stock. However, I have the older model FCP-SR in 6.5 cm. It is truly a 1 hole gun with 3-5 shot groups at 100 yards with factory ammo in its original stock. I have only shot it out to 600 yards once. It will hold a 5 inch 10 round group at 600 from a guy who is just learning to shoot that distance. I’m still not real sure about wind comp and things like that. Shooting at anything less than 300 yards with it is almost boring. There’s no challenge. It makes Varmint hunting easy! Mine really likes Hornady 140 ELD-M and Creedmoor ammo loaded with Hornady 140 BTHP match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    I agree, the new Accufit-Accustock is solid so far off a bi-pod with Ross muzzle brake. On another note, I tried to use factory 6mm Creedmoor Hornady Varmint Express loads (87gr V-MAX) for initial barrel break-in. Everything was OK at 25 yards for initial sight-in. But the bullets would disintegrate in flight before reaching the 100 yard target. Looks like I am going to need a heavier grain bullet for the 7.5 twist 6mm Creedmoor factory barrel.

I purchased a 110 tactical last year in 6.5 Creedmoor. Like the rifle, HATE the accustock. I used the middle height comb-riser. Problem is when breaking in the barrel, I had to remove the comb-riser (remove rear of accustock, then riser) each time to clean. I had to shoot, then clean like 6 times, everytime having to disassemble then re assemble the stock to get my Dewey rod through the barrel. The stock as you know is polymer material and the screws are not visible to remove/install. You have to get a screwdriver into the buttstock, "feel" your way and hope you dont strip the plastic threads holding the screws......well thats exactly what I did. I threw out the stock, purchased a MDT LSS XL gen2 and love it!!! NO more hassle. It looks awesome too - see picture - https://i.postimg.cc/Pr5mc5fn/6-5-Creedmoor.png

I called Savage and told them the issue. They sent me a new stock right away, I sold it on eBay for $120 immediately! Savage was great to deal with. I suggested they incorporate a hinge so the comb-riser could tilt out of the way to clean the barrel without removing the stock everytime.
    Semper Fidelis