Thread: Savage Bolt Heads

frazer

Savage Bolt Heads

Ok so I have a question for the Brotherhood, ok well a couple of questions:
    I have a stevens model 200 in .243 WIN. I would like to change it to a 7mm WSM.

My gun has thefollowing specs: standard barrel shank size, the small diameter firing pin and the bolt lugs are 7/16". It is a 3rd Gen, center feed action. Screw spacing 4.400.

I know I will need a new barrel, magazine, and bolt head. My gun is a center feed and it would remain that way, so I know it will need to be a push feed bolt head. My question is this, will the thicker 1/2" lugs on a large bolt face change anything in regards to fitting the new barrel? I am wondering if I will still be able to accurately headspace the barrel considering that the thicker lugs will take more space in front of the locking lugs on the action, essentially reducing the thread engagement of the barrel in the action right?

I also would like to keep the same firing pin and not have to use one that is longer, so if I got a long action bolt head say for a model 110 in 7mm REM MAG, could I trim the rear portion of the bolt head, the "tail" for lack of a better term? It looks to me that the hole that the bolthead retaining pin passes through is at the same location on every bolthead, but there is just a longer "tail" on the long action parts.
    Here is the post about bolt head configurations that I am referring to.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,10416.0.html

I know it may seem a bit of a complicated question, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Thankyou,
    Frazer

Re: Savage Bolt Heads

your on the path, trim it!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

frazer

Re: Savage Bolt Heads

how do you trim it? I am not sure I just want to take it to my bench grinder, I dont know if that would be all that good anyway. Plus the tail of the bolt has a cone cut into it for the firing pin. If I trim it down, will I need to recut the cone, and if so what would I use to do that?

Maybe its a job for my gunsmith with a lathe?