Thread: barrel from hell

Basic Member

barrel from hell

my buddy has an axsis chambered in 308....has about 300 rounds down the barrel....accuracy was way off and had light primer strikes......we decided to check head space inserted a go gage everything was good added 2 pieces of tape and bolt still closed added 1 more and bolt still closed ......we decided to reset headspace we trieid everything we could think of to get the barrel nut loose and no luck even heating it would not budge.....what is the secret to getting it to move.....anyway I told my buddy to send it back to savage which he did .....he got it back tody with a note : gun checked for function range tested headspace good and that was it .....so I guess all they did was shoot it and check the headspace.....no other explaniation.....we are going to the range sunday so we shall see if it shoots any better ....anyone have a similar issue thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by david12601 View Post
    my buddy has an axsis chambered in 308....has about 300 rounds down the barrel....accuracy was way off and had light primer strikes......we decided to check head space inserted a go gage everything was good added 2 pieces of tape and bolt still closed added 1 more and bolt still closed ......we decided to reset headspace we trieid everything we could think of to get the barrel nut loose and no luck even heating it would not budge.....what is the secret to getting it to move.....anyway I told my buddy to send it back to savage which he did .....he got it back tody with a note : gun checked for function range tested headspace good and that was it .....so I guess all they did was shoot it and check the headspace.....no other explaniation.....we are going to the range sunday so we shall see if it shoots any better ....anyone have a similar issue thanks
    You definitely need an action wrench and get a barrel Vise block. Other than that sometimes you just have to beat the hell out of them to get them off but I've always been able to get them off without damaging the action or the barrel. You definitely don't want to heat it because you could have removed the Forge from the action

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    You definitely need an action wrench and get a barrel Vise block. Other than that sometimes you just have to beat the hell out of them to get them off but I've always been able to get them off without damaging the action or the barrel. You definitely don't want to heat it because you could have removed the Forge from the action

That's what I did before I bought a barrel block vise. I took a big piece of wood drilled a 1 inch hole with a paddle bit and then cut it right down the center and use that to grip the barrel you can take some workman's leather and wrap it around the barrel also before you put it in the wood blocks that will help it grip the barrel and then you fasten the action wrench on to the barrel end of the action do not do it on the rear of the action or you'll twist your action right in half

Did you use a headspace gauge or a case when checking headspace? Why is it the barrel and not the scope and or the mounts.....or the trigger?....or the action screws?

Basic Member
    Robin hood please reread the original post. We did use gage to check headspace

Sorry, some people call a sized case a go gauge. Tape is commonly used with a case and no go gauges are used with go gauges. So there is still this..........

Why is it the barrel and not the scope and or the mounts.....or the trigger?....or the action screws?

Basic Member
    brand new scope from another savage so we have a known good scope....brand new mounts.....the trigger is good....my buddy went to range this morning using black hills red box 168 and federal 150 had 4 inch group at 50.....just got off the phone with my buddy he took it to a gunsmith and he could not believe how much the headspace was off.....the gunsmith is going to talk to savage on monday

Basic Member
    brand new scope from another savage so we have a known good scope....brand new mounts.....the trigger is good....my buddy went to range this morning using black hills red box 168 and federal 150 had 4 inch group at 50.....just got off the phone with my buddy he took it to a gunsmith and he could not believe how much the headspace was off.....the gunsmith is going to talk to savage on monday
    Wait... Something doesn't make sense here:/

Basic Member
    If you have a 1 and 10 Barrel twist 168 grain is a little light I would step up to at least a 175 grain match Kings or 178 grain Eld.. I'm sure they're out there somewhere but I haven't seen anyone in 10 twist 308 shoot that light of a bullet very well at best I've seen them shoot adequate

Basic Member
    the smith is going to call savage about the headspace
    Last edited by david12601; 08-19-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Problem solved

On case inspection after firing, I would have expected to see primers backed out and a high probability that the case headspace to have lengthened considerably. Im sure the smith will get to the bottom of the issue.

Basic Member
    Be interesting to see what the final remedy is.

OP can you post a pic of a fired casing?

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Be interesting to see what the final remedy is.
    Remove barreled action from stock, loosen barrel nut, adjust headspace and tighten nut. Test with go and no go. Repeat if required. Install rifle back in stock.

Basic Member
    Gun is on its way to savage

Basic Member
    My experience with sending a rifle back in is that there is very little communication. You will need to call to get any updates from them and when it is done they just ship it back with no prior notice.

Basic Member
    Gun is on its way to savage
    I would be surprised if the headspace was off on a Savage it is awful hard to screw up properly headspacing a Savage. That said anything is possible though

Strange.

Gunsmith must've found something or else why send it back to Savage again?

If it was a headspace thing, I would think the gunsmith would adjust and hand it back to your buddy.

Strange
    Uhhh. Yeah. A bit. Difficult to decipher who the "custodian" of the rifle is. Savage, the buddy or the gunsmith.

Basic Member
    gun is sold ....it came back with a new bolt head and my buddy sold it right in the box ....he just ordered a 12 fv from cabelas