Thread: New scope for Storm

Basic Member

New scope for Storm

I have a new 110 Storm left hand 243 . I put a scorpian 3x12 scope on it and it has worked fine . I wanted more magnification soI just bought a new Bushnell Prime 6x18 . I mounted in in the same medium Burris rings as my other scope , all leveled with a machinist level . Trouble is I can’t get it sighted in . Sarted at 50 yds. and wasn’t on paper moved to 25 yds and was way low and right . I ran out off adjustment on both and am still 5 in. low and 2 in. right . When I was cranking the horizontal the + hairs were moving right and up . Is this new scope no good or have I overlooked something . The fellow that mounted both scopes is a bench rest shooter and really took his time mounting scope . I called store and they said bring it back in , but I thought maybe someone would havea solution for me .

Take the scope back and get another one, or maybe look at the Athlon line of scopes as they are in the same price range.

Basic Member
    Yes , Iam going to do that Monday , trouble is I wanted to use it this weekend . Thanks forthe reply .

It's a scope choice issue. The 6-18 Prime only has 40 MOA of total adjustment for both windage and elevation, so that's 20 MOA each direction from mechanical center. Even for a basic hunting scope that's a pretty stingy adjustment range as most will have a minimum of 60 MOA.

A set of Burris Signature Zee rings with offset inserts could resolve the issue with not being able to get it zeroed, but you'd still be very limited on adjustment range.

The Prime is the new entry level series of what was the Elite 3200/3500 series with 3x magnifier. Good glass and coatings, but pretty basic otherwise.

The Nitro series is the replacement for the old Elite 4200/4500 series with 4x multiplier, and the Forge series replaces the old Elite 6500 series with 6x multiplier.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Was a Starrett 98 really used?

Basic Member
    I would loved to have gotten a Nitro but price was a little steep for me . Itried to get an Elite 4500 6x24 but was told they are no longer available. In Canada the Prime was $ 450.00 with tax , I know that you fellas south of the border can do a lot better than that for price . When I go back to the store next week maybe I will look for something else . Thanks for our reply

A used Sightron II Big Sky would be a nice fit.

Basic Member
    I took gun and scope back to dealer and he had his gunsmith look at it . He figured out that the back base was too low . He put a couple of shims under the back base and it boresighted perfectly . The bases are weaver bases and said for a savage 10 rear base on the package . So my problem has been resolved . Thanks to all who commented .

Basic Member
    Were you 5" low at 25yds? If you were zero'd at 100yds (Scope height calculated at 2") and shot at 25yds you would need to come up 4-5MOA to be truly zero'd due to the height over bore factor of the mounted scope. I bet if you go to 100yds you'll be just about zero'd where you are now. Based on what I'm reading that is....

Basic Member
    Got it fixed . Gunsmith determined my back base was too low , so he added a couple of shims and am fime now .