Thread: Which Savage 308 for 1000 yd?

Basic Member

Which Savage 308 for 1000 yd?

Friend just moved to GA and none of the local ranges will allow him to shoot his 338LM, so he is considering ordering a new 308 cal to use for long distance. He is currently looking at some F/TR models, one with a 12 twist , one with an 8 twist, both with 30 in barrels. I have suggested he call the Custom Shop and see what they suggest.

I'm fairly certain he'll be shooting off the shelf ammo, and he has no plans to enter competition. Just shooting for personal enjoyment.

Anyone using a stock Savage model 12 for 1000 yds? What's your recommendation?
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I do not currently shoot out to 1,000 yards, but I would think the faster twist 1:8 would be better. It will allow better stabilization of the longer, heavier .308 bullets needed to shoot 1,000 yards.

I've read somewhere, can't remember where, that for best bullet stabilization at 1,000 yards in .308 you need a 175+ grain bullet. I consider that a reference/starting point. Bullet construction is a bigger factor than weight.

The 1:12 twist rate may be able to stabilize the heavier bullets, but the 1:8 will certainly have a better chance of stabilization.

Basic Member
    I hate to admit it but I'd go with 6.5CM if you're looking for great shelf ammo. The 12 LRP is a great gun for under 1000 bucks.

Why not just buy the Savage 12FV chambered in .308... Has a heavy barrel, 1:10 twist, 26" long... Sells at Cabelas for $420.00 +-... To make it a real shooter, all he'd need to do is put a decent stock on it... And he can get an aftermarket barrel if he wants too. the 10 twist should stabilize up to a 180 grain bullet if necessary... I find that the 10 twist in my 30-06 does very well with the 168 grain Barnes TTSX that I use for Elk.

Or what LVLAaron said... the 6.5 is actually the better round for getting to 1000 yards IMO... read up on the ballistics... I did 2 years of research trying to decide what I was going to build for my 1000 yard rig....(260 Remington) the bottom line is: the 6.5 bullet (in the 140 class) will carry 80% of the down range energy that the 300 Win Mag does (using a 180 gr. bullet) out to 1000 yards.

TEAM SAVAGE uses the Savage 12 F Class

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/.../target/12-ftr

I would suggest upgrading the stock to the McMillan XIT stock as shown in the picture above the product picture on the website. That is Monte and his rifle, he shoots on Team Savage.

They have done pretty well with factory rifles though...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...s-on-a-budget/

Quote Originally Posted by LVLAaron View Post
    I hate to admit it but I'd go with 6.5CM if you're looking for great shelf ammo. The 12 LRP is a great gun for under 1000 bucks.
    F-TR is .308 or .223 only.

Most guys shooting F-TR are using 1-10", if they are using heavier bullets than the Berger 185 juggs then they are generally using 1-9.5" twist.

Basic Member
    I don't think OP said he's shooting FTR competitions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blckwlf View Post
    Most guys shooting F-TR are using 1-10", if they are using heavier bullets than the Berger 185 juggs then they are generally using 1-9.5" twist.
    Everyone around me, including me, uses a 10 twist w/ 168 or 170 freebore for shooting Juggs & 200.20x bullets (the 20x requires 10 twist)

I have shot bergers and Match Kings from 155 to 185 in a 12Twist FTR. In the wind the 185's win at 1K. The recoil gets old in comp when you shoot a string of 22 in 20 minutes. The OP will be able to use a brake though. If the OP understands BC then he would recommend a 7mm or 6.5mm. As cheep as actions are and as good as the less expensive barrels are I think it is a waste to do anything but build one. 900 dollars would build a capable rifle with a used H-S or chassis less optics.

Basic Member
    8 Twist does wonders with the 168's if you're looking to go with a bit more velocity. But I would run 185 jugs or heavier most likely.

Basic Member
    I chose to go off the shelf and got a 12BVSS in .308. I am not a competitor and I have a long history with the .308 starting back with my issue M14. I wanted stainless and the factory stock fits me well (and looks good :) ). The longer barrel is a plus for me.

It has a 10 twist and I usually shoot the Hornady bullets. The below tgt was the first group I fired with the rifle. Working on loads to see how tight it will get. I have fired out to 600yd so far and it holds much less than MOA if I do my part.

But, you could probably get the same accuracy from any of the Savage heavy barrel rifles. My Axis in .223 is a MOA rifle with good bullets. Its performance is what prompted me to buy another Savage.

So, pick your cartridge and pick your rifle. And if you want after market to build up a rifle the Savage action is not a bad place to start.

If you are shooting long strings the lower recoil of the 6.5's might be a better choice.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I also have competed with a Savage in .308 Win, at 1,000 yards. Mine is a stainless action and 26" stainless Savage barrel with 10 twist. It will shoot everything just fine. I have shot Berger 215's, and they stabilize fine. I agree that 180 JLK's and 185 Bergers are the best combination of ingredients. I did not try the Hornady ELD, though. You may not need an aftermarket barrel, but they are available, obviously. Be sure to get a rifle with the notches in the barrel nut, to allow use of the Savage wrench to remove the nut for barrel changes. Right now my Savage has a factory 26" 6.5 Creedmoor blued barrel, which shoots just fine. I went with a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist stock from Stocky's, and I still use the target AccuTrigger. Wind drift at 1,000 yards with the 6.5 CM is 2/3-3/4 of the .308 wind drift, but I am also more comfortable loading for the .308, since I've been doing it for over 40 years.

Basic Member
    My savage 10T 308 with a 24 inch barrel shooting 178 ELD-X with varget was hitting 4 out of 10 @1000 yards. Was a bit windy that day. 175 grain would be the minimum I would suggest for shooting 1000 yards. Haven’t tried the 185 jaugernaut but hear it’s the sweet spot. 1:10 twist will be good to shoot but if your staying above 200 grain, 1:9.5 may help. Wouldn’t go over a 26 inch barrel. But as others have said, the 6.5 CM will work better. I had one but just didn’t do anything for me so sold it for a savage 110 338LM FCP. I’m set for both short and long range. Just picked up a 10 FCP-SR deal that the local gun shop wanted to unload. Older chassis. Saved myself $125 bucks. I needed a threaded barrel. 10T is just a bullbarrel. Do you reload?

Basic Member
    Some good suggestions to think about, thanks guys!
    I probably should have given more background to help in selecting.
    He is not interested in buying a front rest and rear bag, so that eliminates some stock designs. He prefers shooting with bipod, off a bench or ground.
    He prefers 308 cal. I suggested 6.5 but that just won't float his boat.
    He's a lefty, and prefers a left handed action, stock, etc.
    Were talking about shooting off the shelf ammo only. No custom loads, no hand loads. Will OTS ammo go 1000 yds reliably?

If he can't find something that fits his needs, purchased through a local FFL, he might consider a custom build.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Will OTS ammo go 1000 yds reliably?

If he can't find something that fits his needs, purchased through a local FFL, he might consider a custom build.
    I don't trust factory loads to get me to 1,000 yards reliably.

Considers a custom build, but not reloaded ammo? Seems kinda like putting regular unleaded in a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Some good suggestions to think about, thanks guys!
    I probably should have given more background to help in selecting.
    He is not interested in buying a front rest and rear bag, so that eliminates some stock designs. He prefers shooting with bipod, off a bench or ground.
    He prefers 308 cal. I suggested 6.5 but that just won't float his boat.
    He's a lefty, and prefers a left handed action, stock, etc.
    Were talking about shooting off the shelf ammo only. No custom loads, no hand loads. Will OTS ammo go 1000 yds reliably?

I can personally vouch for Prime ammo and Federal Gold Medal match with either the Sierra Match Kings or Berger bullets.

Basic Member
    I've also had good luck with the Federal Gold Match, but, I have not tried it out to longer ranges.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Savage makes the 10 FCP-sr in left hand. My brother has one. He shoots cloverleafs with 175 SMK @100 yards. Get it with the old chassis system to save a few bucks.