Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Waiting on Apache barrel

Basic Member

Unless there are 1000’s of backlogged barrels to do, the story just doesn’t add up. Even an amateur like me could kick out 2 a day on a manual machine. The pros are way faster. Why does the Accurate Barrels guy need to respond via PM? Just put it out there, man. Help these guys out.

This thread reminds of a Brownsburg, Indiana taxidermist that was taking money and not doing the work. Obviously people wanted their property back and a refund. The guy was charged with corrupt business practices for collecting over $4k from people who complained to authorities. Sad story all the way around in my opinion. I would like to live in an imaginary world where this kind of thing doesn't go on in our sacred hobbies such as firearms and hunting.

There's a reason not everybody runs their own business. Some folks have what it takes, some don't. Many start up a business thinking they can handle it, and they're able to for a while, but once the business takes off they find themselves in way over their head and don't have the means or resources available to do what's necessary to keep up with the greatly increased demand for their product or service.

I have nothing against Jim (Apache) and in my conversations with him over the years I always found him to be a very nice and outgoing man with good intentions, but based on the years of posts here from people complaining about the lack of communication, lost/forgotten orders, etc. it's pretty clear he isn't anywhere near organized enough to do the volume of business that he was trying to do. I also found it very disturbing that even when he was severely backlogged with orders he would still be listing barrels for sale on Ebay while customers who have already paid for their barrel from him up to a year earlier are still waiting to get theirs.

Sometimes it's a supplier issue - especially if it's an unusual request (longer than typical blank, uncommon twist rate, etc), but such orders are few and far between and his "dropping the ball" has occurred far too frequently for that to be a legitimate excuse for all such cases. Other times it's a labor issue as it's very hard to find help with the necessary skills that's willing to work for what a small shop like this can afford to pay.

It's these things (among others) that lead me to the decision a few years back to not allow him to advertise here anymore. I wasn't comfortable promoting a company on this site that so frequently was unable to fulfill orders in a timely manner or have good communication with its customers. Maintaining a relationship with such a business would just negatively affect the reputation of this site as an increasing number of members would have bad experiences with them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Force majeure
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    If He won't answer E-mails, or Refund your Money, Cotact Your States Attorney Generals FRAUD Office, by Law they Have to Ivestigate, Maybe That Will Light a Fire

Anybody heard anything from him lately? I have not heard a word in a few months... Tired of the bs, I just want my money back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I sent him a message a couple weeks ago regarding a barrel I ordered in Jan 2018 and haven't heard anything yet.

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_p...p2047675.l2560

Is this the same person/business? It can't be...

Same Guy. This is the best way to buy a barrel from him as Ebay will hold him accountable. This may be why he doesn't have time to take care of you guys. There are some invisible forces working against the direct orders he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Same Guy. This is the best way to buy a barrel from him as Ebay will hold him accountable. This may be why he doesn't have time to take care of you guys. There are some invisible forces working against the direct orders he gets.
    That is awful. His Ebay store has 104 positive ratings in the last 12 months. Luckily, I don't have skin in this game. Other than it irks me to no end that this kind of thing goes on in our hunting and shooting community. You just can't take up-front payment for a service and not provide the service. All while taking orders on Ebay and providing a 100 percent rating of customer satisfaction. And, the bad back guy's excuse dissolves with the Ebay ratings.

This has been discussed ad nauseam. Jim is a great guy and in the early years was the only guy I would do business with. He did so many extra's at great prices it was hard to believe. He loved what he was doing as a hobby. He became famous and shitty people always try to use up a good thing. It took a toll with his lack of business experience and he often ended up behind the 8 ball.

As a friend of Jim's it is hard to hear all of the negative talk but I have learned to accept the truth that big mistakes were made. As for Jim I will always know what his intentions were and that he really is a decent guy.

I downloaded the "Consumer Dispute Form" from the Louisiana Attorney Generals Office. I haven't filled it out yet, but plan to submit a complaint. He's had over $600 of mine for 2.5 years and hasn't returned a message in 10+ months

Basic Member
    I found the best thing was to just keep emailing him.

He has always responded to me but I haven't tried in a few months. Interesting thing to note. He has no current ads on ebay. His website says orders closed. Much of the information that was on his site is gone(if I remember correctly). This is just my opinion and nothing else. The heat may have come down on him and he has probably suspended operations.

On another site someone has the same issues, someone else posted the link to the BBB and it states " OUT OF BUSINESS".
    I personally have dealt with him 2-3 times and had the same experience as Robinhood, no problem and better than average results.
    It is a shame that another one bites the dust.

https://www.bbb.org/us/la/libuse/profile/gunsmiths/james-skinner-apache-gun-works

added for ease of looking up.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345