Thread: Accufit on older rifle.

Basic Member

Accufit on older rifle.

Has anyone tried an accufit stock and mount it to their older series 110? I have an older 110-E series in 30-06 with a rifle basix trigger and it shoots lights out but its in an old wood stock and I love the idea of the accustock for my hunting rifle. I don't really need another rifle, just would like to transplant old faithful.

I'm finishing one up right now. Picked up a used Accustock that had been poorly bedded and poorly painted for $25.

My Older 116 was a blind magazine in a molded stock. The Accustock came with the bottom metal, magazine, and trigger guard.

I am not a fan of removable magazines for hunting rifles, just one more thing for a dufus like me to lose or forget to bring, and I had read that some modification would be needed to the chamber feed ramps to get the new magazine to feed.

So my neighbor, who has a backyard machine shop, and I designed and milled a new bottom metal with a pocket for the original blind magazine out of an aluminum block.

The magazine and Accustock bottom metal would fit, and line up with the receiver, so if you elected to go that route, you could remove the magazine box and do a little Dremel work to get it to feed.

I'm unsure how it would all work if you have a hinged bottom, you may still have to make some mods to get it to feed from the magazine.

What I know for sure is: The recoil lug is significantly bigger on the older rifles. I milled the pocket deeper in the accustock, and did a lot of filing, and measuring , taking metal off the sides and bottom of my recoil lug to get it to fit. When I was finished, I still couldn't get the action to bottom out in the stock, I finally figured out that the receiver itself was too large in diameter to fit in the accustock; when I tightend the screws, I could feel the stock spreading as the action went in.

I solved that by making a mandrel the same diameter as the receiver and wrapping sand paper around it and sanding the interior of the stock out until the receiver dropped in cleanly. It wasn't much, but it had to be done.

I did the same for the barrel channel as I have a heavy barrel and had contact in several places, and under the tang as I've read they shoot better with the tang floating.

You will also have to relieve the inside of the accustock to accommodate the bolt release lever, as this is completely different on the newer models and is at the trigger guard rather than on the receiver. I did most of mine on the mill, then cleaned it up with a chisel as the milling bit didn't cut the plastic very cleanly.

I think I'm about done with mine and ready to do a light skim coat beading with epoxy and freshen up the paint job, hope to be shooting it in a week.

ETA: I just went over to the Gunsmithing articles and read about properly torquing the accustock, apparently the aluminum rails spreading while being in contact with the reiever is part of the accustock design, so sanding out the interior to fit my action may not have been the best choice, however, I was unable to get the reciever in contact with the bedding block until I did.

Perhaps I don't understand the design of the accustock. Is the bottom of the reciver supposed to be in cotact with the block, like a pillar, or is the reciever only supposed to contact the ralls on the side?

If the action screws are the same gap then it ill fit. You may need to change recoil lugs to the Accustock design.

Perhaps I don't understand the design of the accustock. Is the bottom of the reciver supposed to be in cotact with the block, like a pillar, or is the reciever only supposed to contact the ralls on the side?
    The action will bottom out on the center rail and the side rails will spread slightly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If the action screws are the same gap then it ill fit. You may need to change recoil lugs to the Accustock design.

The action will bottom out on the center rail and the side rails will spread slightly.
    Wanted to clarify to make sure we are talking the same thing... I'm talking about the newly released accufit stock that you can adjust the cheek weld and length of pull.

I'm thinking it does not matter what stock you have within the Savage parts bin. Long or short. Staggerfeed ( i believe your rifle is a staggerfeed and would not fit the centerfeed accustock without some serious modification due to the fore aft location of the magazine.) or Centerfeed. Top bolt release or bottom bolt release. When fitting a stock these are your primary considerations.

If you are going from a barrelled action with a non Accustock Recoil Lug to an Accustock stock(one with aluminum rails), you will be confronted with fitment issues. My understanding is the new Accufit stock is fitted with these rails. I am with full disclosure, not certain that the new stock requires the "Accu-lug".

Acculug

Standard

I have completed fitting my older Savage into the Accustock. A Little work, but doable. I chose to stick with the blind magazine, So My neighbor and I designed and machined a new bottom metal out of aluminum that replaced the magazine/bottom metal combo that came with the accustock.

I also modified the recoil lug, which involved making it smaller to fit the accustock, and I had to cut a pocket in the plastic to clear the bolt release.

I bedded it with a skim coat of Marine tex as well and made sure the barrel and tang are free floating.