Thread: Bought a Numrich Wood Stock (youth for Savage 11). Does it have pillars? Should I add them?

Bought a Numrich Wood Stock (youth for Savage 11). Does it have pillars? Should I add them?

I have been hunting a lot more with my Winchester Model 70 lately mostly because if I'm going to hold a gun for a day I'd much rather it be nice wood than plastic.
    I bought a wood stock from Numrich and am really looking forward to using my Savage again and one day giving it to my daughter for their first hunts. I find the Youth stocks fit me great for winter hunting when I'm all bundled up and with a backpack strap on (adds about 1.5" LOP over a summer shirt).

This is the stock (not much info): https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1050720

Does anyone know if these come with any kind of pillars like the Savage synthetic stocks do? If not, would I be well advised to add them myself? Anyone with a similar stock have any advice to share about how your rifle shoots un-bedded? I'm looking to get a 1 MOA hunting rifle out of this...

Basic Member
    Is your action 4.25"[staggerfeed]?

Basic Member
    If the stock does not come with pillars I highly recommend adding them. Or, instead of pillars, use a bedding compound like Devcon to bed the action to the stock. You could also add pillars and bedding compound. Personally, I don't think pillars AND bedding compound is necessary.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I do have a 4.275" bolt spread, I bought this rifle in 7mm-08 new in the early 2000's after selling my 7 pound 300 Win Mag. Never regretted that decision!

I have been reading up on bedding. Would I be OK not remove any wood when I bed or should I dremel a bunch of the wood out?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macchina View Post
    Would I be OK not remove any wood when I bed or should I dremel a bunch of the wood out?
    You could bed without removing any material or minimal material. This is called skim bedding. Sometimes skim bedding works really well. However, I recommend removing material and doing a full bedding job. I wouldn't call it a bunch of material. On a wood stock you would remove at most 1/8" of material from any surface the action touches.

Everything worked out great!
    After looking at what I got, I decided not to pillar bed it. I did bed it from recoil lug to the rear action screw. The stock came with a nice (plastic) stantion in the front and I have the metal bottom metal I figured I'd try without pillars for now and see how it shoots for the next year. Really happy with fit and finish on this stock!

Team Savage
    Very nice!

Sexy and it is a 7mm08.