Thread: New 110/116 accufit models in 280 AI?

Basic Member

New 110/116 accufit models in 280 AI?

I've seen quite a few of the new accufit models in several calibers for sale but can't find any in 280 Ackley. A couple of websites have it listed but not in stock. Anyone have any intel on why the 280 AIs aren't on the street yet?

Probably because not many distributors or dealers ordered rifles chambered for that cartridge or even knew Savage was going to have it available this year. Also, not being a hugely popular cartridge it's likely going to be one of those you have to have your dealer order from their distributor for you.

IMO the .280AI really has little more to offer performance-wise than the 7mm-08 (basically about 200fps), whereas the 7mm-08 offers several benefits the .280AI can't (fits a short action, less recoil, greater availability of factory ammo, etc.). The newer 28 Nosler isn't going to help the .280AI's popularity either. I'd be interested to hear how well the .280AI feeds from the magazine as having two rifles chambered for AI cartridges myself (one staggered-feed, one centerfeed) I can tell you from experience they don't always feed silky smooth due to the sharp shoulder angle and lack of body taper.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Probably because not many distributors or dealers ordered rifles chambered for that cartridge or even knew Savage was going to have it available this year. Also, not being a hugely popular cartridge it's likely going to be one of those you have to have your dealer order from their distributor for you.

IMO the .280AI really has little more to offer performance-wise than the 7mm-08 (basically about 200fps), whereas the 7mm-08 offers several benefits the .280AI can't (fits a short action, less recoil, greater availability of factory ammo, etc.). The newer 28 Nosler isn't going to help the .280AI's popularity either. I'd be interested to hear how well the .280AI feeds from the magazine as having two rifles chambered for AI cartridges myself (one staggered-feed, one centerfeed) I can tell you from experience they don't always feed silky smooth due to the sharp shoulder angle and lack of body taper.
    The not knowing it was available sure makes sense. I stumbled on to it by accident looking at twist rates on their website.

I looked at 7mm-08 and unless I'm missing something other than a bigger diameter bullet it doesn't offer much over my 6.5 Creed. I like the 28 Nosier but it's a barrel burner. I'm still considering 7mm Rem mag but for the 85% hunting I do in the southeast (whitetail and hogs) it seems a little much

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    I looked at 7mm-08 and unless I'm missing something other than a bigger diameter bullet it doesn't offer much over my 6.5 Creed. I like the 28 Nosier but it's a barrel burner. I'm still considering 7mm Rem mag but for the 85% hunting I do in the southeast (whitetail and hogs) it seems a little much

You are correct. The 7-08 doesn't offer much more than the 6.5 CM can offer. Especially in the 140+/- grain area.

I love the 280 Rem. I don't own a 280 AI... yet. The main reason I see using a 280 Rem or 280 AI over the 7-08 is if you want to load 160 grain or heavier bullets.

The 7 mag and the 28 Nosler are a big jump in recoil for not a lot of jump in performance for most hunting applications. If you're a serious Western Hunter chasing elk 3 months out of the year, then the 7 mag and 28 Nosler are going to serve you well. However, you mentioned that 85% of your hunting is in the South East. I'm in Central Texas and have shot plenty of deer and hogs at 200+ yards with 120 grain bullets from a 7-08. It's a fantastic cartridge and has not failed me in any of the several rifles I have chambered in it.

I also would not hesitate to use the 7-08 to hunt elk within 400 yards using a good solid copper bullet.

Not particularly related to the .280 AI, but lots of good info in this recent discussion debating the .280 Rem v 7mm-08 over at the Campfire.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s#Post13029409

Aside from big brown bears I wouldn't feel under gunned hunting anything on this continent with a 7mm-08 or .308 Win. Both are more than adequate for hunting shots out to 400 or so yards with proper 140 to 165gr hunting bullets. Are there flatter shooting and/or harder hitting cartridges? Sure there are - lots of them! Is that extra speed/energy necessary? Not necessarily. The key is 1) selecting a good hunting bullet and 2) making sure your load has enough energy remaining at a given distance to properly expand and penetrate to get the job done.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    As far as 7mm cartridges go, I would likely skip the 280 or 280 AI for the 7mm Mag. I like the availability of the 7mm Mag a lot more than the 280. You could always load the 7 Mag down to 280 specs. Both are long action. Unless you have a love of cartridges based off the '06 I don't see a niche the 280 fills that another cartridge cannot cover.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    As far as 7mm cartridges go, I would likely skip the 280 or 280 AI for the 7mm Mag. I like the availability of the 7mm Mag a lot more than the 280. You could always load the 7 Mag down to 280 specs. Both are long action. Unless you have a love of cartridges based off the '06 I don't see a niche the 280 fills that another cartridge cannot cover.
    In the grand scheme of things I don't disagree.The hunting rifle I've got now is a 6.5 creed that is lights out sub MOA out to 600 (farthest I had a chance to take it) with the Berger 140 elite at 2850 fps. I'm trying to wrangle an Elk or Nilgai hunt and I'm not sure it's enough gun (more so for the Nilgai). I really don't want to load for two hunting rifles but using a 7 mag on SE whitetail seems a bit much. That's why I was looking at the 280 AI.

Having done some more looking I should probably lean 300wsm. It runs great on RE-16 and 26 which I use fore my target rifles, the case is non-belted and I have a good selection of 30cal bullets for my .308. The only hand up is Savage mags for 300wsm are only two rounds. I almost bought a bear hunter in that cartridge this week. I'm still considering it.

Basic Member
    I understand. I'm not trying to discount the 280 or 280 AI at all. I've owned 3 280's. All of them were good shooters and I really like the cartridge. I also understand the downfalls compared to other cartridges.

The 300 WSM is a great choice. Extremely versatile cartridge. I don't own one yet, probably will when I eventually draw an elk hunt. The .308 diameter bullets have the best selection, so you can easily load for the 300 WSM.

Basic Member
    I'm really leaning that way. I may even just get another barrel from Ragged Hole and switch barrel it.

300 WSM is a good choice, although they suffer mag capacity as you noted, and they tend to be finicky on feeding due to the fat case and sharp shoulder angle. I owned one years ago in a Win-70 and the rifle itself left a lot to be desired(back before they went under).

Basic Member
    I have a 300 WSM Bear Hunter and a 300 WM 10T-SR, and for the powder difference there really isn't that much performance difference (maybe 50 FPS difference with 212's with my hand loads) That is roughly the same difference between the 7mm Rem Mag and the 280 AI, leaving the 7mm-08 considerably behind. My 280 AI is a Kimber and my 7mm Mag is a Long Range Hunter Savage and my 7mm-08 is a Savage Axis. IMO, I am getting to be a 280 AI fan more the more I shoot it. I am starting to wonder if I even really need a 7mm Mag for Elk/white tail at longer range, and the 7mm-08 is likely going to be a gift since I have a Shilen Select Match 7x57 barrel ordered.

Basic Member
    You should load those Bergers a lot hotter than that. I'm shooting the 150 Matchkings at 2925-2950fps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    In the grand scheme of things I don't disagree.The hunting rifle I've got now is a 6.5 creed that is lights out sub MOA out to 600 (farthest I had a chance to take it) with the Berger 140 elite at 2850 fps. I'm trying to wrangle an Elk or Nilgai hunt and I'm not sure it's enough gun (more so for the Nilgai). I really don't want to load for two hunting rifles but using a 7 mag on SE whitetail seems a bit much. That's why I was looking at the 280 AI.

Having done some more looking I should probably lean 300wsm. It runs great on RE-16 and 26 which I use fore my target rifles, the case is non-belted and I have a good selection of 30cal bullets for my .308. The only hand up is Savage mags for 300wsm are only two rounds. I almost bought a bear hunter in that cartridge this week. I'm still considering it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk