Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommendations: Factory Accustock vs. Factory HS Precision Stock vs Walnut Stock for a Model 11

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I mean, boyds might be fine, if I can find a stock shape I like. Richards is on the table only because they're less expensive than Boyds and have (IMO) better stock styles. ie this:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/rollover.htm
    That looks like a Boyd's Prairie Hunter designed stock, at least it's very similar. I have one on a 22-250 and like it quite well. However, I do highly suggest you get some kind of stippling or checkering in the grip and for end areas as the stocks are very slippery when they get wet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    That looks like a Boyd's Prairie Hunter designed stock, at least it's very similar. I have one on a 22-250 and like it quite well. However, I do highly suggest you get some kind of stippling or checkering in the grip and for end areas as the stocks are very slippery when they get wet.
    They are a bit similar, yes, but the difference being I can get some custom options with the Microfits... ie; a 2 1/2" beavertail forend to fit my heavy barrel.
    I emailed Richard's to see if they still ship to Canada, and if they say no, I'm either going with Boyds or a factory walnut stock.

They are a bit similar, yes, but the difference being I can get some custom options with the Microfits... ie; a 2 1/2" beavertail forend to fit my heavy barrel.
    I emailed Richard's to see if they still ship to Canada, and if they say no, I'm either going with Boyds or a factory walnut stock.
    Ohhhh... the Prairie hunter won't have enough meat in the barrel channel to accommodate a heavy barrel (lite varmint at best). So, you'll have to look for a different design if you go Boyds. It looks like the At-One is the only option that's even close to the PH stock.

Good luck to you man,

Basic Member

There is a possible way around this. You should be able to find a shipping carrier that will ship something from their facility internationally. You could ship the stock to the facility, which Richards probably won't have a problem with. Then carrier will ship the stock to Canada.

I'm not certain about the legality of doing this. Definitely research it. The company I work for doesn't ship internationally. But, when a customer wants us to ship internationally, we use the above process to get the product to the customer. Our products don't have any international shipping restrictions, so we're perfectly legal shipping this way. I'm just not sure how the US and Canada feel about firearm parts shipping internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    There is a possible way around this. You should be able to find a shipping carrier that will ship something from their facility internationally. You could ship the stock to the facility, which Richards probably won't have a problem with. Then carrier will ship the stock to Canada.

I'm not certain about the legality of doing this. Definitely research it. The company I work for doesn't ship internationally. But, when a customer wants us to ship internationally, we use the above process to get the product to the customer. Our products don't have any international shipping restrictions, so we're perfectly legal shipping this way. I'm just not sure how the US and Canada feel about firearm parts shipping internationally.
    Trying to circumvent ITAR without the proper permits will land you in hot water... ITAR regulates rifle stocks, and you must have the proper permits to export ITAR restricted items from the US, (does not apply if they are less than $100 in most cases).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blckwlf View Post
    Trying to circumvent ITAR without the proper permits will land you in hot water... ITAR regulates rifle stocks, and you must have the proper permits to export ITAR restricted items from the US, (does not apply if they are less than $100 in most cases).
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info. How does that work? Does the original shipper have to have the permits or could a shipping carrier have the permits and act as a proxy?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info. How does that work? Does the original shipper have to have the permits or could a shipping carrier have the permits and act as a proxy?
    It is a permit that lists the type of product being purchased, who it is from, and who it is going to. It's rather specific so its difficult to have someone act as a proxy. That's why we recommend ordering form a dealer in your home country. We also will not accept money from a foreign source, and not export the stock to that person (save for specific circumstances with known parties).

Basic Member
    For ITAR, is there not a 'small product' exemption when shipping non-FFL (stocks included) items?

For ITAR, is there not a 'small product' exemption when shipping non-FFL (stocks included) items?

You have to follow paragraph one, or paragraph two along with all three qualifiers under paragraph 2, yes.

I still had issues with the state department even when I was covered by paragraph one. (cranky people over there)

If you are considering a Hogue Aluminum bedded stock like I was, forget it. Great idea in theory, (Perfect shape, weight and quiet) but I got mine yesterday after waiting 3 weeks for it and found a bunch of polymer mold flashing (run-over onto aluminum parts) covering part of the rear receiver channel. Thinking I might have gotten a bad one (just my luck),I contacted Hogue and sent pictures of the affected areas. They compared it to others on the shelf and said that it was normal. They wanted me to try and mount it to see if there were any centering issues. I told them that I wouldn't bother and returned it. Now the search is on for something else. I'm surprised there are not more choices out there by now.

Basic Member
    I've contacted a local importer to see if I can get any stocks without causing any ITAR issues...

I've contacted a local importer to see if I can get any stocks without causing any ITAR issues...
    fatcat, send me a PM and I'll send you a list of people in Canada that might be of assistance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12