Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommendations: Factory Accustock vs. Factory HS Precision Stock vs Walnut Stock for a Model 11

Basic Member

recommendations: Factory Accustock vs. Factory HS Precision Stock vs Walnut Stock for a Model 11

I've sorted AICS bottom metal out for my...bottom release rifle, now I need to decide on a stock. It's hard to make independent decisions, ok? Consider this a poll, I guess.

Feel free to add your own recommendations if you have any.

My options (right now):

Factory 10-FCP beavertail accustock: (Yes I'm aware of clearance issues and regards to the recoil lug, I can reparate that.) -$79 (or even less if I stoop to eBay) -

Factory HS - Precision Stock: $260 -

Factory Model 14 walnut stock: $140 -

for admin/mods: feel free to move this if it's inappropriately placed

Well, the HS precision stock isn’t really a ‘hunting’ stock, at least by conventional standards. But I would say it’s the best built and would be the most solid. The accustock will limit your recoil lug selection unless you modify it, which I wouldn’t recommend. Factory walnut can be good.

Possibly you need to narrow down what features you want exactly.

One of these things just doesn't belong here. Like Rusty Said. Narrow things down. Do you want a range rifle for plinking? Do you want a shooter for bench and prone for some medium to long range target? A blind hunter or stalking gun. The AICS equipment sounds like a tactical move where the H-S is a fit. No so much on a typical hunting rig. Perhaps you can give us an idea of what you are doing, to better put you on the stock you may need.

Basic Member
    I'm trying to put together a sort of hunting/target varmint rifle... trying to be dual purpose.

Weight doesn't matter that much.

HS makes another savage stock that is more like a varmint hunter. A little heavy but might fit the bill. Model number PSV 118

Basic Member
    Not saying it can't be done, but it's difficult to make a dual purpose rifle that checks all the boxes. Generally hunting rifles are light to medium weight. Varmint rifles are medium to heavy.

What you're trying to achieve can be done. It depends are what kind of hunting you're doing. If you're walking a half mile from the truck to the stand it doesn't matter if your rifle has a truck axle barrel and a concrete stock. But, if you're walking a bit then you'll appreciate a lightweight rifle quickly.

If there a budgetary reason for a one purpose rifle? If so, I'd suggest picking the rifle and stock that best fit the type of hunting you're going to do most often. If you varmint hunt year round every other weekend, then get a varmint style stock. But if you want to try to hunt a large selection of game very often then maybe a hunting stock is for you.

Not sure if you mentioned it in your post, but what size barrel does your rifle have?

Basic Member
    Well, my game is typically coyotes, or occasionally wolves.
    A family friend has a farm, and has a bit of a coyote problem, so (right now) I walk about 25 minutes from the car to a burm, set up with a bipod. I'm usually taking shots between 50 - 200 yards.
    I typically go shooting every weekend, weather allowing.

I have a bit of a budget, I'm trying not to spend more than $400 USD on a stock (I'm in Canada, and the exchange rate really makes a lot of good stocks cost-prohibitive), stock alone, I'd probably be okay spending more on bottom metal on top of the stock.
    I have a Savage 11 Trophy Predator Hunter with the 'Predator' barrel contour. It's about 1.5" at the shank, and tapers down to 1" at the muzzle. Recessed crown.

EDIT: I also just realized MDT was a Canadian company, and I can get that shipped here (albeit for a price) pretty easily if my other options fall through.
    EDIT 2: I'm also looking at getting 10 round magazines (AICS would be nice), partially for the range, but it also doesn't hurt when tI go shooting other small game (ie: gophers maybe).
    Last edited by fatcat; 08-13-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: math

Basic Member
    Sounds like sweet setup, the hunting and the rifle.

A chassis, like MDT, can surely help with varmint hunting. Chassis systems make attaching bipods and lights easier. However, I've yet to see a chassis weight less than 2.75 pounds. That weight, plus the varmint barrel and a decent scope makes for a heavy hunting rifle. But, it's right on the mark of a varmint rifle.

IMO, I wouldn't get hung up on the magazine. I haven't found a situation outside of a shooting competition that needs a magazine larger than 5 rounds. If I regularly experienced varmint hunting situations that required more than 5 shots I would use an AR15 instead of a bolt action.

I suggest researching Wildcat composites. It's a stock maker in Canada. They inlet for Savage IIRC. They make a very lightweight stock. I would also look at shortening your barrel to 22" or 20".

Basic Member
    Thanks for the link, but I checked Wildcat's page and while they seem to be of reasonable quality and price, I can't find anything about Savage rifles on their page, and even if they did, these seem to be just blank stocks, and while I can do woodwork, this seems a bit much for me to do in my garage with hand tools. I think they offer a complete build, but if my math's right, this would be really, really expensive.
    Ideally, I'm looking for a stock that (at most, if it's a wood stock, laminate or otherwise, I can do some finishing) is either a pre-fit one or can be inletted. I can't do much hand-work beyond that.
    My barrel is already 22".

Basic Member
    You are correct. I checked again and Wildcat does not offer a Savage inlet. I must have confused my fantasy of wanting them to offer a Savage inlet with the reality of no Savage inlet offered.

Hmm. You may be better off with the model 11 wood stock. It may require some wood working to fit your needs. I would definitely bed it if you go the wood stock route.

If your barrel is already 22" I wouldn't take any more off for a varmint rifle.

Basic Member
    Another option I just detected: Stockade...completely forgot about them!
    Semi-custom stocks for reasonable prices...the catch: I have to call them for an order, which means making a long distance call, *sigh*.

EDIT: Yep, the walnut looks enticing.

Basic Member
    Stockade is a great option.

You can use Google Voice or Skype to call long distance... for free. No excuses not to place your order now.

McMillan is a good choice.

Basic Member
    On the accustock note, someone mentioned that my recoil lug would have fitment issues...

Would it be too big or too small...is it a big enough difference to just mill some aluminum out or fix it in place with epoxy (make a new surface for it to sit in)?

McMillan seemed interesting for a bit, then I realized the cheapest stock I can get up here is like $1,000 minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    On the accustock note, someone mentioned that my recoil lug would have fitment issues...

Would it be too big or too small...is it a big enough difference to just mill some aluminum out or fix it in place with epoxy (make a new surface for it to sit in)?

McMillan seemed interesting for a bit, then I realized the cheapest stock I can get up here is like $1,000 minimum.
    The difference is in the recoil lugs. The Accustock uses a wider and shorter in length recoil lug. So, when you try to put it in a regular (non accustock) the recoil lug has to be ground down width wise and also is a little short for the recoil lug slot in the stock. I've never had to work around that difference myself...
    I'd think about just ordering a precision recoil lug that is designed for the regular stocks, which I ordered through Northland shooter supply (might be able to order up there).

Not sure if they will accept AICS mags or not, but have you looked at Boyds laminate wood stocks? Just a thought as they are pretty good quality and decently priced.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post

That is flat out wrong, a typical hunting stock is only bout $600 on average.

Basic Member
    Unless weight is an issue I'd go with the style most comfortable to you. I prefer a target style stock for all my shooting purposes. I can cut weight in other areas if I need to, but I'm also accustomed to carrying around a 17-20lbs match rig. so a 10-12lbs rig would feel incredibly light to me. I current have 2 rigs set up one comes in just under 18lbs the other is about 19.5lbs. The 19.5lbs rifle actually feels lighter in hand because of how well balanced it is. Unless I was going to be hiking across hills, plains, mountains etc. out west or trudging through heavy brush or bush I would be fine hiking either rig a short distance to set up on some yotes. I have a number of buddies that use their match rigs just for that anyways.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blckwlf View Post
    That is flat out wrong, a typical hunting stock is only bout $600 on average.
    Well, he's in Canada. Factor in currency conversion rate, international shipping, taxes and possible stock customizations (different stock fill); OP could easily spend close to $1,000.00 U.S.

Also, OP could have been referencing $1,000.00 CAD not $1,000.00 US. The current currency conversion rate is $1 US to $1.31 CAD. Even without the shipping, currency costs, and taxes that means the same $600 US stock would cost OP $786 CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    Well, he's in Canada. Factor in currency conversion rate, international shipping, taxes and possible stock customizations (different stock fill); OP could easily spend close to $1,000.00 U.S.

Also, OP could have been referencing $1,000.00 CAD not $1,000.00 US. The current currency conversion rate is $1 US to $1.31 CAD. Even without the shipping, currency costs, and taxes that means the same $600 US stock would cost OP $786 CAD.

I didn't see that he was in Canada (still don't), but that would certainly change things. The Export Permit alone is $250.

Basic Member
    No worries! Post number 7. OP mentions he hunts on a maple leaf farm. Just kidding OP! Yikes. $250 is steep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blckwlf View Post
    I didn't see that he was in Canada (still don't), but that would certainly change things. The Export Permit alone is $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    No worries! Post number 7. OP mentions he hunts on a maple leaf farm. Just kidding OP! Yikes. $250 is steep.
    Cool part though is you can get that permit for multiple years and 1000's of stock, even if you don't do that many. This way you stretch that permit out so its not $250 each. Hopefully the proposed rule changes for ITAR will address this.

Basic Member
    Anyone have any experience with Richards Microfits?

I'm looking at either a laminate or walnut... if not a savage factory or hogue (meh, hear bad things) or whatever...

Basic Member
    Anyone have any experience with Richards Microfits?

I'm looking at either a laminate or walnut... if not a savage factory or hogue (meh, hear bad things) or whatever...

EDIT: Sorry, just figured out how to change my location...
    EDIT 2: ok, that's weird, I guess I accidentally posted twice

Basic Member
    So is Boyd's out cause the shipping is too expensive? I got a Pro Varmint for my Axis HB and like it a lot. Added some weight over the factory plastic stock (which I wanted). Not sure about the bottom metal but I bet they could come close.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I mean, boyds might be fine, if I can find a stock shape I like. Richards is on the table only because they're less expensive than Boyds and have (IMO) better stock styles. ie this:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/rollover.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast