Thread: New stuff and competition

New stuff and competition

I did my first ever competition recently at camp attebury. Was a mid range 300, 500, and 600 match. I screwed up at 300 yard and adjusted the scope left instead of right. I had never shot beyond 300 before so i was really pleased i kept all shots on paper. Ended up shooting a 542-6x with my best at 500 being a 187-0x with a 8" group.

I am pretty sure i have a burr in my chamber, every case i eject has a knick on the shoulder. I dont feel like sending the rifle in to savage so i ordered a shillen select match stainless 28" barrel. I think it will help with poi movement as barrel warms also.

I ordered 200 new peterson 6.5 creedmoor brass and a annealeez also.

I think my loading will be up to par with the annealer and i think the rifle is plenty capable.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebles24 View Post
    I did my first ever competition recently at camp attebury. Was a mid range 300, 500, and 600 match. I screwed up at 300 yard and adjusted the scope left instead of right. I had never shot beyond 300 before so i was really pleased i kept all shots on paper. Ended up shooting a 542-6x with my best at 500 being a 187-0x with a 8" group.

I am pretty sure i have a burr in my chamber, every case i eject has a knick on the shoulder. I dont feel like sending the rifle in to savage so i ordered a shillen select match stainless 28" barrel. I think it will help with poi movement as barrel warms also.

I ordered 200 new peterson 6.5 creedmoor brass and a annealeez also.

I think my loading will be up to par with the annealer and i think the rifle is plenty capable.
    I rebarreled my savage with shilen 28" select stainless match bull barrel and it will shoot same hole all day long. If you got the bull barrel you will have to get a different stock assuming you savage was barreled with a sporter barrel. It has accutrigger but I got the spring that let's you tune it down to about 1.6lbs. Even out at 400 and 600 yards I am still way under 1/4 MOA. Shilen makes perfect drop ins for the savage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mine is the lrp so it has the trigger i can adjust down to ounces. It also has the hs presision stock. Yes i got the heavy bull barrel. My group was over 1 moa at 500 but it was a 22 shot group.

That nick on the shoulder isn't from a bur in the chamber, it's from she shoulder getting wedged in the raceway when you extract it from the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The Creedmoor has it own downfall of having a shoulder diameter that is slightly larger than the width of the raceway, causing a wedge effect upon extracting, and often physically pulling the case out of the bolt face before it can be ejected.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I'll be damned, i never heard that before. Oh well i have a sweet barrel coming and a spare with 201 rounds through it then.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebles24 View Post
    I'll be damned, i never heard that before. Oh well i have a sweet barrel coming and a spare with 201 rounds through it then.
    Don't worry you will not be disappointed with the shilen barrel. And as I was mentioning earlier if you ordered the shilen bull barrel and your factory rifle didn't have a bull barrel you're going to have to go with a different stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure i have a burr in my chamber, every case i eject has a knick on the shoulder.
    I would like to see a picture of the burr. I got some sand in a chamber during a windy match. really buggered the case shoulder up. I pulled the barrel and wrapped some used up soft Red Scotch-Bright around a chamber brush. Cleaned it right up.

I plan to pull my barrel tomorrow or friday. But i cant seem to add photos on here. I am painting the stock while i have it apart and would like to add photos of that also.

The knick is on the edge of the shoulder closest to the base and has been on every case fired since new. I have about 30% of the cases wont eject also. Talked to savage and they sent me a ejector and extractor and all associated parts. I will put them in while i have it apart. They wanted me to send the rifle in cause i mentioned the knick in my brass, but i didnt want to be without my rifle cause i already have comps im signed up for.

The shoulder of the factory barrel chamber was very rough but i dont see any burrs. My go/no-go gauges will be here today. May start painting the stock today.
    I must say the peterson brass i ordered neck turns really nice. I havent done any weight sorting yet but im betting it is a whole lot better than the Acadamy sports hornady black ammo brass.