Thread: When You Burn Out on a Round.

Basic Member

When You Burn Out on a Round.

I'm sure that most of us burn out ,if not on a particular round, but something else in life. I think I must have tried about every brand and model .223 Rem and I have almost burned out on the .223 Rem. It has been my favorite comfort or go to round for years, but I think I am just tired of it. I am over 70 and love shooting, gun building and load development. I have been culling out guns from my empire according to use. Since I shoot mostly .223 Rem and 6.5 CM at this time, that puts a lot of old favorites on the sale/chopping block. I have reawakened a liking for the old .308 Winchester and after many years of adventures with my old friend the .223 Rem I am going for a trial separation, I am keeping my old Mod 10/ Boyd and getting out of the .223 fast track except for AR home defense types. Most of the new little rounds on the block are interesting, but not enough to jump in after them. It's like losing an old friend, but I'm just burned out after all these years. Has anyone else ever felt this way about an old favorite round?

Basic Member
    No way could I stop shooting thee most economical centerfire round. I would set it in the corner, wait a couple months.

I used to love shooting my Ruger '06 until I got my first 243. Now it's only short action stuff for me. Easier on the shoulder too.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

The 243 and 6mm in general are alive and well.

I have been shooting the243 and the 223 cal. the last couple of years. i don't shoot much due to health reasons.

Basic Member
    The only round I'd say I've done that to with an asterisk is the 308 winchester. I'll still shoot the 308 winchester in an AR platform or help others load it for their deer rifles. However, for long range applications I have swapped the barrel on my 308 long range rig to the 284 winchester.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I guess for my needs I'm hard pressed to leave the 6.5x47. It just works and does so dang near effortlessly.... I have continually considered getting into 223 simply for the economical value and increase in volume of shooting I could get done with it!

Basic Member
    Are we painting the house or building a new fence?

I am currently building a .270 Winchester which seemingly ever else has burnt out on. I say this because the last two days I have been reading the post you customs and in 57 pages there was only 1 .270.

How many 280's or 284s

I burnt out on centerfire long guns in general at one time. For fifteen years I hunted with nothing but flintlocks (rifled & smooth) for big game and small game (though I also used recurves during bow season and small game). Though I did keep a .223 around for farm pests.

But I have to say it wasn't much of a sacrifice as this region didn't allow C.F. rifles for deer. That changed - so I picked up a Savage M11 for whhitetail and that's why you find me around these parts.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    How many 280's or 284s

Too many to count. Made me think I might have went the wrong way, it I was all ready set up for reloading

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I burnt out on centerfire long guns in general at one time. For fifteen years I hunted with nothing but flintlocks (rifled & smooth) for big game and small game (though I also used recurves during bow season and small game). Though I did keep a .223 around for farm pests.

But I have to say it wasn't much of a sacrifice as this region didn't allow C.F. rifles for deer. That changed - so I picked up a Savage M11 for whhitetail and that's why you find me around these parts.
    Me too, I used a side hammer .50 cal round ball flinger for years and loved it. Then I finally saw a wall hanger at 200yds.. I could have cried.. T/C impact for ML season, and a rifle for regular season.. no wall hanger yet...

Basic Member
    Think what might have been had Jack Oconner not been biased.
    And Remington a little smarter.