Thread: Shipping to Canada and ITAR

Basic Member

Shipping to Canada and ITAR

I admit right now I have basically no understanding of U.S import/export laws, but I'm comfortable with Canadian ones.

A friend in MN who's trying to ship me an unfinished walnut gunstock for my Savage (value not exceeding $500 w/ship, and he has the invoice for it), and I need to know what I/he need(s) to do the safely and legally get it across the border.

We're trying to ship with UPS, but any carrier that would do this would be nice.

Please leave suggestions...

Your friend is going to have to find a licensed U.S. exporter to handle the paperwork and shipping. After 9/11 they tightened up the border and more closely watched for ITAR items, then Obama and Clinton's DOS upped the ante` and made it all but impossible to ship anything firearm related out of the country or import anything from other countries.

That said, I know part of the Dept. of State's "settlement" regarding the Defense Distributed lawsuit over posting firearm blueprints online for 3D printing also included some changes to ITAR enforcement. Not sure if that was just for the blueprints or if the changes also apply to everything.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I remember they changed the export limit from $100 to $500 (without an export license), but the rules aren't super clear...

Basic Member
    Hey OP, I saw your original post about stocks. Following this one too.

You may be able to find another online forum that has some legal experts that may give free legal advice/explanation. I wouldn't take an internet stranger's word for anything, but somebody may point you in the right direction to find the answer you need.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    Hey OP, I saw your original post about stocks. Following this one too.

You may be able to find another online forum that has some legal experts that may give free legal advice/explanation. I wouldn't take an internet stranger's word for anything, but somebody may point you in the right direction to find the answer you need.
    I'm sure there is, but I have no idea where to start... I search up anything related to U.S export or ITAR forums, and I just get official government pages (not actual forums). I don't think it makes sense to check Canadian forums (since the issue is with American export law) or with mail carriers.

Basic Member
    If you're looking for a forum of paralegals and attorneys, try r/legaladvice on Reddit. Fair warning, most of the people on Reddit may not share our ideals about firearms. Seems kinda funny even to me that I'm directing you there. However, that's the best place I can think of to get free legal advice.

22 CFR 123.17

§ 123.17 Exports of firearms, ammunition, and personal protective gear.

(a) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit the export without a license of:
    (1) Parts and components for USML Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100 wholesale in any transaction, except to any of the countries or entities as provided in § 126.1 of this subchapter;
    (2) Parts, components, accessories, or attachments for USML Category I firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), complete breech mechanisms, or fully automatic firearms and parts and components for such firearms, when:
    (i) The total value does not exceed $500 wholesale in any transaction;
    (ii) The export is to Canada for end-use in Canada or return to the United States, or temporary import into the United States of Canadian-origin items and return to Canada for a Canadian citizen; and
    (iii) The exporter makes an electronic declaration to U.S. Customs and Border Protection pursuant to § 123.22(a), and the exporter is eligible to export under this exemption pursuant to § 120.1(c) of this subchapter, unless the electronic submission of such declaration is unavailable, in which case U.S. Customs and Border Protection will issue instructions; or

You must either follow the requirements of paragraph 1 in Red, or paragraph 2 in green (including i, ii, and iii).

The easiest thing to do is to order through a dealer in Canada as they have the export licenses and everything worked out. If you send me a pm I can send you a list of dealers I work with in Canada, surely one of them should be able to help you out.

*While I have a degree in legal studies, none of this should be considered legal advice, please consult with an attorney for legal advice.

Basic Member
    If you are looking for a company that imports firearms and firearms related parts into Canada try Irunguns, Prophet River, or Aztech Armory.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homer76 View Post
    If you are looking for a company that imports firearms and firearms related parts into Canada try Irunguns, Prophet River, or Aztech Armory.
    I called Prophet River up, and I checked with all the other companies you checked with, my only issue being the wait time... I think it was like 10 months or something like that to get a stock imported. I might be reading this wrong, and if I can get a stock shipped in like, less than 4 months, I'd be happy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blckwlf View Post

22 CFR 123.17

§ 123.17 Exports of firearms, ammunition, and personal protective gear.

(a) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit the export without a license of:

(1) Parts and components for USML Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100 wholesale in any transaction, except to any of the countries or entities as provided in § 126.1 of this subchapter;
    (2) Parts, components, accessories, or attachments for USML Category I firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), complete breech mechanisms, or fully automatic firearms and parts and components for such firearms, when:
    (i) The total value does not exceed $500 wholesale in any transaction;
    (ii) The export is to Canada for end-use in Canada or return to the United States, or temporary import into the United States of Canadian-origin items and return to Canada for a Canadian citizen; and
    (iii) The exporter makes an electronic declaration to U.S. Customs and Border Protection pursuant to § 123.22(a), and the exporter is eligible to export under this exemption pursuant to § 120.1(c) of this subchapter, unless the electronic submission of such declaration is unavailable, in which case U.S. Customs and Border Protection will issue instructions; or

You must either follow the requirements of paragraph 1 in Red, or paragraph 2 in green (including i, ii, and iii).

The easiest thing to do is to order through a dealer in Canada as they have the export licenses and everything worked out. If you send me a pm I can send you a list of dealers I work with in Canada, surely one of them should be able to help you out.

*While I have a degree in legal studies, none of this should be considered legal advice, please consult with an attorney for legal advice.

This whole time I'd been looking at stocks over the $100 range, and so I'd have to deal with the green paragraph, but richards just listed a stock at $50. Shipping is about $15, so a $65 purchase wouldn't have any special paperwork to fill, right? (I have no idea what I'm doing, excuse my ignorance)

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    This whole time I'd been looking at stocks over the $100 range, and so I'd have to deal with the green paragraph, but richards just listed a stock at $50. Shipping is about $15, so a $65 purchase wouldn't have any special paperwork to fill, right? (I have no idea what I'm doing, excuse my ignorance)
    Theoretically, but that's assuming Richards is willing to ship it, and customs doesn't throw a fit.

Basic Member
    Alrighty... so Richards say they'll do it!

I ordered my claro walnut stock today, and I'll put up some pics when it arrives.