I've been invited on a prairie dog hunt next year with some bosses of mine. Now these guys are big time hunters and precision rifle shooters. I'd like to show up with a fundamentally sound setup. I'll be purchasing a Savage in .22 wmr next week. I will do the bulk of my shooting at 50-100 yards at the range. When I take this rifle out west I'd love to be able to walk in some longer shots on prairie dogs. I've read that the velocity difference between 16", 18", and 21" is more or less negligible for 100 yards. Will I have trouble hanging at 150 yards plus with a 16" barrel?.

I've been leaning toward the B22 Magnum over the model 93. The updated action seems like a no brainer for a first time buyer. I read that the action and barrels on the B22 is a married pair though. I take it I will not be wanting to try to use an aftermarket drop in barrel? This is unfortunate because the B22 FVSR is REALLY doing it for me besides the 16" barrel. Would a muzzle brake improve my velocity a bit to get similar velocity to an 18" barrel? I know their primary function is the dissipation of gases to lighten recoil.

Being as I am so new to rifles in general I could have outright misunderstood a lot of information I've read. The model 93 could be the better option overall. I really look forward to hearing from you guys and seeing some of your builds.