Thread: 6mm br norma extracting issues?

6mm br norma extracting issues?

Hey guys I just put together a model 10 in 6mmbr. It is in a mdt lss chassis. I am running an aics mag. It picks up and feeds fine from the mag. My issue is extracting the fired casing. The bolt pulls the casing back about to where the shoulder reaches the ejection port. Then it drops the casing. Loaded mag empty mag no mag. It's always the same spot. I round out of 50 came all the way back and ejected. I have never built a bolt gun with a casing this short before. What do you guys recommend I try and do to resolve this issue. Plucking a casing out with my fingers isn't always the easiest. I'd appreciate any info.
    Thanks,
    Adam

Sounds like your extractor/ejector is needing to be replaced. Savages are well known to have ejection issues. I always order 2 or more ejector kits when I order them. I go with the ones from SSS or Tactical Works as they are made a bit better then the basic Savage kit. They are out of stock often, so keep an eye out and order as soon as you see them available.

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...actor-Kit.html

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Sounds like your extractor/ejector is needing to be replaced. Savages are well known to have ejection issues. I always order 2 or more ejector kits when I order them. I go with the ones from SSS or Tactical Works as they are made a bit better then the basic Savage kit. They are out of stock often, so keep an eye out and order as soon as you see them available.

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage...actor-Kit.html
    I agree it sounds like maybe weak ejector pin spring or extractor clip not engaging properly although I own crap ton of savage rifles and have not had any issue that's really about all it could be besides maybe over pressured ammo over swelling the case (but I doubt that's it) if the bolt is not new it could just be build up of crap on the ejector pin not letting it slide freely:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The action is a new take off. Everything in the bolt head looks to be spotless. I will see if I can find one of those kits and break it down and inspect it all. Ive built a few savages but nothing this short of case. I havent heard of the issue extracting with the 6mmbr like feeding issues. Didnt know if I did something wrong with the build or was missing some part of the setup. I will do some more digging and see what I can find. I appreciate the replies.

Team Savage
    Install a .140 detent ball. that will help kept the case from droping

Basic Member
    There is a post in this forum of about a week or so ago titled Kinney's extractor or something of the sort. It mentions a couple of things you might want to try.
    The extreme angle of the short cartridges seems to be part of the problem. The ejector is close to max extension. The sharp corner of the bolt lug abutment also puts a slight drag on the case at the point of failure.
    To top it all off the Savage bolt head is a tad oversized allowing the case head to not fully engage with the extractor.
    Gaining a few thousandth of extractor "grab" is often enough. The .140 ball may be enough.
    Also a strong ejector spring may help hold things a bit longer. The newer Savage ejector actually travel out a little farther but they have cut the groove too wide causing the groove to come out too far when the ejector is fully extended. At that point the ejector can actually "tip" slightly in the hole. This may or may not have anything to do with the problem but really shows poor engineering or at least a lack of tolerance stack skills. It could be I received a batch of ejector not made to print.
    If all else fails with the 6br then I would pull the ejector and pick them off the bolt rather than fishing them out.
    My .02 for the day,
    Randy

Thanks for the info Randy. I appreciate it. I will try a .140 ball and see if that works. If not we will trying the trick you listed. I keep my fingers crossed it's as simple as a bead of steel shot.

Basic Member
    Ditto what Randy wrote. Remove the ejector and the problem goes away. You really don't want to be chasing your expensive, carefully prepared brass all over the place, anyway. Much better to pick it off the bolt head, place it back in the box and load another. I like to keep all my shot brass in order, especially when developing a load to be able to log issues such as start of excessive pressure signs and how that affected the shot placement.

I hope this helps.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.