Thread: First barrel swap

Shootinsurveyor

First barrel swap

I used a action wrench and a barrel wrench on the floor of my gun room. Got the old barrel off easier than expected. Set the gun on my lap and proceeded to set the headspace with my go/no go gauges. Didn't take anytime at all. Is there any error that can be induced by doing this not secured in a vise. I was going to use a vice to do it all on Saturday, but curiosity got the best of me. If someone tells me I need to do that, then I will do that on Saturday. The go gauge closed easily, but not sloppy and the no go allowed the bolt handle to travel downward just barely. Seems like if this gauges work as planned, then I am good to go. Now I just gotta get the brake aligned properly.

Team Savage

Re: First barrel swap

you are ready to run ,aslong the barrel nut is tight

hotbrass

I take the barrel off using an action wrench. Then I put the new barrel on and insert the bolt and close it on a go gauge and screw the barrel down tight by hand. Screw the nut down, put the wrench on the nut and give it a whack with a rubber mallet. Then I check it with the no-go gauge. If it wont close I remove the bolt and use the action wrench and tighten the barrel nut with a torque wrench.

Never had a problem.

Shootinsurveyor

Once I got the barrel set right, I just used the action wrench and the barrel wrench against each other. I feel like that should have tightened it more than some suggest and less than others. I have been thinking about trying this for a couple of years, but wasn't comfortable with it. If I had known this was easier than any gun I have broken down before, I would have done it a long time ago. I was pretty pickled when I figured out I could do it on my gun room floor. Can't wait to get this this sighted in for deer season with my new Nitrex scope.

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by Shootinsurveyor
    Once I got the barrel set right, I just used the action wrench and the barrel wrench against each other. I feel like that should have tightened it more than some suggest and less than others.
    You only need to tighten them to about 30-40 ft/bs at best.

This is my setup to remove factory installed barrels.

After that for installing and removing them I use a rear entry wrench and a open ended nut wrench. It eliminates the need to remove the scope,mounts and rings. That also give me the ability to swap barrels anywhere I want, four on a shooting bench during one range session.

I don't know if that 30-40 number is good, in fact all I do is give them a grunt to a grunt and a half. I don't know if its enough, I haven't had any come loose to find out. ;D

Bill