Thread: 7wsm

Basic Member

7wsm

I am looking to build a 7wsm from a long action what is needed for this build? do I need a special bolt head assembly?

sinman

Re: 7wsm

magnum bolt and you are all set

hailstone

Savage uses a large shank barrel for all the WSM calibers. Does it make any difference? I'm thinking there reason for doing that is liability reasons i.e. extra margin of safety by the larger barrel shank in the chamber area. I'm aware many build the WSM's using small shank barrels. What too do? Guess my thoughts would be where will this be used the most. Should failure occure what are my chances of harming other bystanders? Another words if hunting I'll only harm myself but if bench/target shooting I'll possible harm others besides myself.

sinman

That is incorrect, Savage did make WSM/RUM on small shanks at first.

hailstone

That may be true but the operative words are "used to". They made the change for some very important reason. You don't introduce new parts production into a existing model unless there is a reason. I'm speculating that reason is liability. Liability that the standard shank barrel is marginally safety wise and making it larger added enough metal too make it liability proof. Savage has a lot too loose in a lawsuit. If you didn't read between the lines in my prior and this post then I'll make it clearer. You have a lot too loose if a rifle you make blows up on the firing line and injures some bystander. It may injury or kill you but your family will have the lawsuit too contend with. Its not worth the risk when its easily prevented.

sinman

If there was a problem with the small shank Savages there would of of been a recall on them and never was, Any gun could blow up if pushed beyond its limits by improper hand loading, the small shank savages were tested above and beyond the pressure a wsm can produce. Also all the remingtons out there have the same size shanks as Savages small shanks. The only risk there would be is if the ammo was loaded incorrectly and thats the same with any gun out there.

DGD6MM

If anyone has info on a small shank .300 ultra blowing up or anything remotely close please post. Thanks, I've read a lot on this topic of spectulation and possibility, but have not read one post of it happening. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, just curios.

ellobo

In over 60 yrs of reading every magazine and book on shooting I could get my hands on I have never read of a lawsuit over a rifle blowing up except a few cases of proven overloading by handloading. The only warnings I have ever seen were about the early 03 springfields that were improperly heat treated. Those of course were military rifles made prior to and during WW1. Serial numbers up to about 800,000 were the offenders. Contrary to popular notion, the P-17 Enfield was the most common rifle used by America in WW1.

El Lobo.

Basic Member

If you're that concerned about it have a gunsmith open up your action threads to the large shank size. That's what I did with mine. I like the extra steel around the chamber of the magnums that the large shank provides but it's purely preference. As sinman said, if it was dangerous, Savage would have recalled them. In fact they probably would have realized the dangers in their pressure proofing in the factory and never sent out any small shanks to start with.

frankt

Hey I just started the same project. Today I bought a Mod 112-CF-532 (7mm mag) bolt face long action from Northlands. I plan on chambering it for 7mm wsm. Jim at Northlands felt that if I used the long action I would have extra room to adjust seating depth as I intend to use Berger VLD bullets. My question is, can I use the Acme Universal Mag Conversion for this rifle? I real want a drop magazine.

I hope you don't mind me jumpin on your post. But I can use some help.

Oh no! Luckily, I've cheated death. I'm headed to the trash can right now with my small shank 300WSM Krieger and Hart barrels, 7mmWSM Shilen, and 338 Edge McGowan. I hope the trash man takes them or else I'll have to pay for haz-mat disposal. ;D

All of my WSM's are on long actions so I can take advantage of being able to seat the VLD style bullets anywhere I want.

The new centerfeeds work the best from the long magazines. Stagger feeds work but you might need to mess with the feed lips to get them to feed right.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

DGD6MM

I'm going to work for the Sanitation Company that works your neighborhood. ::)

Basic Member

My 7mm WSM is a small shank, Long Action (converted 7mm Mag Kmart gun action), with a Benchmark barrel, in a Manner stock, capped with a US optic 3.8-22 MOA/MOA scope. Bottom metal takes AI mags. I have pushed the Berger 180 VLD to 3166 fps and is 19.5 MOA at 1000 yards and 54 MOA at 1 mile (1760 yards). No pressure signs, no blown barrel, and quiet through a Gemtech Sandstorm suppressor. Trying to build two more right now for my sons, with my sons.
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish

marku

Get a 1-9 twist barrel and shoot the 180gr Berger VLD's. Ive got a full custom APA on a 7mm-300wsm and im pusing the 180 at 3000fps using H4831sc. Its a long range tack driving round.