Thread: Getting a Savage 220F 20 gauge, what do I need to know??

TheShootist1894

Getting a Savage 220F 20 gauge, what do I need to know??

Well, because I like Savages, and the fact that I still use a smooth bore 12 gauge 870 with rifle sights for deer, I decided its time to get a new slug gun. I like the weight, balance, and feel of the 220F (other than the cheap plastic stock). I bought a Weaver 2.5-10 Buck Commander/V-Series scope for it already, and Lightweight Talley Extended mounts. I need to hear everyone's tips and tricks for these, having never owned a rifled slug gun before these grossly expensive sabot slugs are new to me :-[

I hear some people saying locally that these guns won't shoot well with any 2 3/4" slugs, yet others that swear the SST is all you need out of a 20 gauge rifle. . . .

How should I expect this gun to shoot? My Wingmaster does easy 2.5" groups at 100 with sluggers (yes sluggers) and Breneke KO's and Classic Magnums. . .

Re: Getting a Savage 220F 20 gauge, what do I need to know??

Remington 2 3/4" or 3" accutips shoot well in mine.......others have really liked the 3" federal barnes tipped load. Mine didn't shoot the Hornady SST for squat.

Get high rings (spent hull clearance can be an issue) and work the bolt like your life depends on it.

captngus

Mine loves the Federal 3" tipped Barnes slugs just over 3" at 200 yards. It beats my Benelli by at least 2" in group size and the trigger
    is great more like a rifle than a shotgun.

Gordy

mine also loves the Federal 3" Barnes. I was able to get a 1.25" 4 shot group at 100 with it, then take the 5th shot and hit a 15" 300yd gong with it using the ballistic reticle on my scope.

Look into removing the matte finish off the bolt by polishing it to give you a much smoother bolt movement. A couple guys on here have done it. I still need to do mine.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

RandyWakeman

TheShootist1894

hahaha,

Randy I read all your reports weeks ago, thanks for posting it though!

ellobo

Dont have a Savage but do have a Mossberg rifle in 20 gage. A pump gun. It is spooky accurate with the 2 3/4 slugs of any make. I use a fixed power 4X Weaver on it with high mounts as the shotgun style stock is too high for a low mounted scope. Havnt tried the 3" shells yet but hope they shoot sub-moa like the 2 3/4 shells. Great woodland gun.

El Lobo

TheShootist1894

Anyone out there messed with reloading for 20 gauge slugs? I have heard of some sabots the can use 45 or 500 S&W bullets but can't find much info on the ole interweb. . . .

www.ballisticproducts.com They have a dangerous game type slug but I know nothing about it. I believe the load you're talking about is only available for 12 gauge.

I've messed around with the Lyman cast sabot slugs a little bit. The one that looks like a giant air gun pellet. It loads in a standard hull with a shot wad and fold crimp. Worked just fine out of my Mossberg 500 20ga with fully rifled barrel........I just can't seem to nail down any kind of accuracy.

I should note that i've only tried wheel weight metal. I do have some pure lead to try but I just haven't had time.

cummins cowboy

I have never seen the need for a slug gun, if you are in an area that requires it, run a savage muzzleloader with a smokeless load, there are some really sporty loads out there for the savage ML. or just use a rifle.

Shootist,

I think I may have found what you're looking for. A search resulted in "Collett Cup Sabot Slugs"

Not sure if the info is current, but they make sabots for reloading pistol style bullets (xtp, etc.) for shotguns. 12 and 20 gauge. The prices seem to be pretty stout but if they work well, it would still be cheaper than buying factory.

I sent them an email requesting some info/prices. If I hear back from them, I'll post the info.

marku

CCS, ive contacted them before. Most reloading info will be in the 1650fps range. They do not make the 1900fps load like listed on their website.

Speaking of the 1900fps loads........has anyone ever chrono'd a factory 20ga. sabot load that's listed at 1900fps? I'm betting they aren't that high in a standard length slug barrel. Most ammo manuf. will use very long barrels for testing.

I'd chrono some myself but I need to make up some kind of shield for the chrony. Don't wanna pull a "EFBell" and destroy the chrony with a wad! ;D

Sorry Ed, I had to.

marku

Most of your 1900fps loads will chrono in the 1750fps range. That was with the 220 and federal barnes tipped expanders. Of course i also got a Bullberry 3.5" 20ga barrel and those Hastings 3.5" sure do feel like its pushing 2000fps

Shootist,

I already got a response from CCS. The sabots are exspensive - $70 per 100 plus shipping. Starting load data comes with the sabots. Other needed parts like gas seals and cards are relatively cheap. They also sell loaded ammo but it's pricey at about $15 per box of 5.

Sabots are available for .451" or .500" bullets

She was kind enough to send me three documents with lots of info/pricing. If you like me to send them to you, just shoot me a PM with your email.

Eric in NC

BPI has a great sabot for 12 gauge that uses 50 cal bullets - http://www.ballisticproducts.com/.

If you really want to go cheap, Lyman makes 12 gauge and 20 gauge molds that let you use a standard shot cup as your sabot for the slug they cast (flat nosed slugs that look like an air rifle pellet).

Quote Originally Posted by trappst

I'd chrono some myself but I need to make up some kind of shield for the chrony. Don't wanna pull a "EFBell" and destroy the chrony with a wad! ;D

Sorry Ed, I had to.

:D ::). Good one.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Actually I didn't hit the screens with a wad or a sabot. I was getting false readings from the chrony picking up the sabot. Like 750 to 900 feet per second.

Of course I dont have to worry as much as some of you guys because the chrony sit's on the bench. :P :P ;D
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

TheShootist1894

Trappst

Thanks for the email, they seem fairly conservative with their #'s compared to other mfg's, but then again they probably chrony them out of real slug barrels, most all other ammo MFG's test slugs in a 30" barrel, who the hell hunts a 30" rifled barrel????

But alas, I may need to see if I can dig up an old Mec 20 ga 3" press at the next gunshow on the cheap, and give this a whirl. . . .just because I am a firm believer that you will never realize the true accuracy potential of any firearm until you tailor a load for it. . . .we'll see, Thanks
    Guys

Basic Member

Get the right base for the 220. EGW makes a great base that will reduce/stop the ejection problems. I made the switch and no longer have failures to eject the spent round.
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish

TheShootist1894

Well got my new slug rifle yesterday, got the Weaver mounted up, grabbed some slugs and headed to the range. . . .

Hornady SST's were an epic waste of money, and I must say I am disappointed, I have never had a gun that flat out would not group even moderately well with a Hornady load. . . Wouldn't even keep 5 on a sheet of paper at 100. . .

Remington 2 3/4 buckhammers, God these make nice big holes! Im sure they drop like a rock past 100, but for less expensive practice they are good <1" at 50 yards just over 2" at 100 yards Not bad for being half the price of most sabot slugs

Remington Copper Solids 2 3/4" These shot very nice (and are expensive) 1.177" 5 shot group at 100 Yards

Will be getting in some 3" Federal lads that Savage suggests, and some 3" buck hammers to play with. . . .anyone have a source for Remington Accutips? I can&#39;t find em, and my dealer can&#39;t either. . . . ..

What ya&#39;ll think?

marku

Ive got some 3" Accutips coming. Theres a whole bunch of 2/34 accutips floating around here but no one stocks the 3". Im going to try the federal load again after fixing the scope problem along with some Accutips. Everything ive read on it has the slight edge going to the Accutips. But every gun is different.

TheShootist1894

Still can&#39;t find any accutips. . . . . . >

Fired the 3" Federal Barnes HP (thought I ordered the right ones but was wrong) they were not good, matter of fact no better than the 3" Buckhammers. . . .all told 2.5=2.75" at 100 yards. . . .ordered the right Federals today, but still no sign of getting any accutips. . . .