Thread: Using a Savage 11 bottom bolt release w/ a top release stock (BA, BA Stealth, Ashbury)

Basic Member

Using a Savage 11 bottom bolt release w/ a top release stock (BA, BA Stealth, Ashbury)

Hi, I'm relatively new to Savage rifles (I literally just bought mine two days ago...) and I have a sizable question about stocks.

While I have very little personal experience with Savage rifles, I understand that (as of right now, the newer actions) 110-series rifles can be either top-release or bottom-release (for the bolt), and that certain parts won't interchange.

I have a model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter rifle, in .223. The older model, pre-accufit. It's a bottom release rifle, with 'bottom metal' integral to the plastic stock, and using the detachable magazine with the built-in release.

Now, I went out to buy a rifle to build it up as a chassis rifle (a want, not a need), and I was going to get a cheap Remington and either try a KRG stock or a Magpul Hunter. The guy offered me a discount on the Savage (old stock), so I just got that since it already had a scope.

Now, I'm aware that savage makes/made some rifle chassis systems, notably;
    • 10BA - with the weird palm-shelf grip and the PRS stock.
    • 10BA Stealth - the LSS-looking chassis thing
    • Ashbury Precision Rifle - The Sabre(saber?) chassis.

I've noted that all of them are for top-release actions, but assuming that it would it my action screws, and if I were to install the bolt before assembling the rifle (attaching it to the chassis), would I be able to use it?

If not, can I make a cutout for the bolt release (a la MDT)?

Thanks,
    Cat

Basic Member
    I have 2 model 11 VT and a model 10 T all bottom release that I use in 2 different XLR Element chassis’s. They work fine. The only trouble I have is with the bolt release. There is enough room in the trigger slot that I can use a golf tee to slide the release back and remove the bolt. I have a stealth and a mdt lss but neither of them have the opening in the trigger slot to do the same thing.

Basic Member
    Is it at all possible to install the stock with the bolt already in and thus not need to use a bolt release...?

Buy a sear for the top release. Have to sign a waiver from savage to get it. I’m not sure, but the trigger group might have a slight difference.

MDT offers at least one chassis that's specifically designed to work with bottom bolt release models.

For most chassis systems though, you simply bought the wrong rifle with the wrong setup for what you're wanting to do.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    "For most chassis systems though, you simply bought the wrong rifle with the wrong setup for what you're wanting to do."

Yeah, probably. I definitely hoped that savage made their newer chassis rifles with a bottom release, I didn't really research this since it was a last-minute decision.

The stock I have is just plastic, no aluminum blocks.... I think I'll just try and source a factory (or used) accustock....

Basic Member
    There are lots of stock options for bottom release actions. Accustock, Boyd’s come to mind. If your looking for a chassis the XLR Element comes in a bottom release model. They are solidly built chassis system.

Basic Member
    @jlsbassman

I have 2 model 11 VT and a model 10 T all bottom release that I use in 2 different XLR Element chassis’s. They work fine. The only trouble I have is with the bolt release. There is enough room in the trigger slot that I can use a golf tee to slide the release back and remove the bolt. I have a stealth and a mdt lss but neither of them have the opening in the trigger slot to do the same thing."

Are you able to get the action into the chassis without removing the bolt (on the stealth) to bypass the release?

If so, I'm okay removing the chassis to take the bolt out.
    Last edited by fatcat; 08-04-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: math

Basic Member
    I switched the actions around in the chassis. Both worked fine in each. No way to remove the bolt with bottom release in the stealth chassis.
    Last edited by jlsbassman; 08-05-2018 at 08:20 AM.