Thread: Might do a new review on the American Rifle Company Barloc - What's your interest?

Basic Member

Might do a new review on the American Rifle Company Barloc - What's your interest?

Is there any interest for a review on the American Rifle Company Barloc? I have one coming in the mail today that I will be installing a barrel with. Cost comparison might be the biggest ticket item.

Quick overview from my observations:

Savage Barrel nut $20
    Wheeler Action Wrench or Barrel Vice $60
    Savage Barrel Nut Wrench $30
    6" Vise if used $80

$100-$200 initial investment

$20 for each additional rifle.

ARC Barloc

$150 no additional tools required, but would need one for each rifle, so it's $150 each time.

Can also be set up with shoulder barrels that can easily be swapped similar to an Accuracy International action, May be of interest to the prairie dog Hunter only wanting one action or the bench rest/F-Class guy with one action etc.....

Let me know and I will work on a video this weekend. New barrels are inbound....

Basic Member
    Yes!

Basic Member
    Yes I would be interested in your review. Thank you!

I think you're still gonna need those tools to install the BORLOC, just wont need them to switch barrels once you install the BORLOC.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blckwlf View Post
    I think you're still gonna need those tools to install the BORLOC, just wont need them to switch barrels once you install the BORLOC.
    That would depend if the action already had a barrel on it or not, but a valid observation!

Basic Member
    I got it installed last night and my first impression is that I'll likely never use another barrel nut. Once figure out how to get the Barloc timed to the 12' o'clock position all torqueing is simply completed with an allen wrench and the barrel stays exactly where headspaced without the slight rotation I normally see when torqueing down the barrel nut. Way easy! I did use my barrel vise during this install, but that's only because I already had a barrel nut on the rifle and it was easy to set up with the action at 12' o'clock as well. No longer have to remove the scope rail, clamp the action in an action wrench or any of that mess. With an already black action I think it looks better than the barrel nut as well. I'll mess with it some more this weekend, but I have to get this barrel broke in and load dev completed to be ready for an upcoming match in WV at Peacemaker.

Basic Member
    Nice report. My next build that I'll be working will likely have the barloc system.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

If I was switching barrels a lot, I can see the advantage. Otherwise its pretty spendy.

I can see this being a benefit if a guy wanted to use one action for multiple sports/distances/calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I got it installed last night and my first impression is that I'll likely never use another barrel nut. Once figure out how to get the Barloc timed to the 12' o'clock position all torqueing is simply completed with an allen wrench and the barrel stays exactly where headspaced without the slight rotation I normally see when torqueing down the barrel nut. Way easy! I did use my barrel vise during this install, but that's only because I already had a barrel nut on the rifle and it was easy to set up with the action at 12' o'clock as well. No longer have to remove the scope rail, clamp the action in an action wrench or any of that mess. With an already black action I think it looks better than the barrel nut as well. I'll mess with it some more this weekend, but I have to get this barrel broke in and load dev completed to be ready for an upcoming match in WV at Peacemaker.

Hows the accuracy? Any changes?

Basic Member
    I haven't got it out to the range yet, but this is also a brand new 0 round count barrel I'll be getting out this weekend. I shot a rifle 2 weekends ago with a Barloc that was just as accurate as many rifles I've shot. In theory this should be considered a better/more secure way of installing the barrel rather than the barrel due to how it functions. I'll get into that as I start to put together the full review and mess with it some more.

I would be interested in seeing a target, removing and reinstalling the barrel completely, then another grouping to see if there was a spread, or POI change.

Basic Member
    I would be interested in seeing a target, removing and reinstalling the barrel completely, then another grouping to see if there was a spread, or POI change.
    I've done this with a barrel nut before and change in POI was normally quite minimal. I'll mess with it though!

Once figure out how to get the Barloc timed to the 12' o'clock position all torqueing is simply completed with an allen wrench and the barrel stays exactly where headspaced without the slight rotation I normally see when torqueing down the barrel nut.
    I usually bottom out the barrel on the go gauge so there no rotation when tightening the nut. But I get what you're talking about, indexing the iron sights on the ML-2 barrel I put on a Model 12 action was definitely a fun one.

Basic Member
    I usually bottom out the barrel on the go gauge so there no rotation when tightening the nut. But I get what you're talking about, indexing the iron sights on the ML-2 barrel I put on a Model 12 action was definitely a fun one.
    You can do it that way, but I don't prefer to set headspace at 0. I prefer to set it closer to +.002-.003 to make bumping the shoulder back easy. I hit the go-gauge and then bring it back a hair. Easy close on the go gauge, solid stop on the no-go.

Basic Member
    What? No link to the product you're introducing? I guess I'll just have to go find it....sheesh!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

I got it installed last night and my first impression is that I'll likely never use another barrel nut.
    Now that you have a bit more time behind the Barloc... is it still as good as it was to begin with?

I've read about some setups where people use the BarLoc and some red Loctite to make the nut 'permanent'... have you tried anything like that?
    Last edited by memilanuk; 10-29-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Basic Member
    But look at all the fun you will be missing !!