Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used savage 12F, 6.5 creedmoor

Used savage 12F, 6.5 creedmoor

Ok, I have a chance to purchase a used Savage 12FV, 6.5 Creedmoor, Nikon P-308 BDC scope. We took this gun in on trade at the shop I work at. Gun manufactured in 2017, bull barrel w/target crown. Has plastic stock and is in like new condition. The person that traded it in told me he wanted a different shooting platform, Savage model 10 stealth.

I am looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor and have been looking at the Bergara B14, MHR and the Savage 10 stealth. I can purchase this gun for about $250.00 less than the Bergara and model 10 would cost me.

I want to get into long range shooing 600 yds. I am not going to be competing in competition just having fun. I have been looking at the Boyds AT-0ne stock for $180.00 to replace the synthetic stock.

Anyone have the model 12FV savage?

Looking for some recommendations.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...FV-THREAD-FEST

does anyone have one. Lol.

Only about 90 pages worth of reading!

Welcome to the forum!

Basic Member
    I'd shoot it as is first just to see what it does. You may be surprised. Then decide what you want to change.

PS I second a Boyd's stock. My Axis is wearing one now (ProVarmint) cause I wanted wood and a heavier stock. It didn't shrink groups that much, it just made it easier for me to hold the rifle on target.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...FV-THREAD-FEST

does anyone have one. Lol.

Only about 90 pages worth of reading!

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for the direction.

After 4 cups of coffee this morning I read all the pages.

It took me to get to page 87 before I found info on 6.5 creedmoor.

Lot of Cabela's bashing, I know the drill (worked for 4 months selling guns at Cabela's).

O'well, the coffee was good.

I have as much fun with a can of hairspray and a spudgun than I do with a savage

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have as much fun with a can of hairspray and a spudgun than I do with a savage
    Don't use hairspray, thats old school.

Old Spice body spray or Glade air freshener, is the non sticky solution to spudgun fun.

How do I know, been selling them for over 22 years on the internet.

www.spudgun.com

Basic Member
    Depending on what the shop-price is... I wouldn't pay more than about $275 for a used on when you can get them at that price on sale and with rebates.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by TXRoadlizard View Post
    Depending on what the shop-price is... I wouldn't pay more than about $275 for a used on when you can get them at that price on sale and with rebates.
    ^^^^This^^^^

Basic Member
    There is no promise the rebates will be that good this year or any other. What your are getting at 420$ at Cabelas is a bargain for how it shoots.

I know it's a Cablea's exclusive gun. Savage does not even list this gun on there current website. My out the door price will be $450, with the Nikon p-308 scope. I know someone that will buy the scope, so end $$'s will be around $300.00.

This way I don't have to back into Cablea's (I worked at the gun counter for 4 months).

I am too fixated on spudguns now to add any 12fv convo.... Rifled barrels .. just trying to fathom how much more trouble we would have gotten in.... good times

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    I am too fixated on spudguns now to add any 12fv convo.... Rifled barrels .. just trying to fathom how much more trouble we would have gotten in.... good times
    We were "savages" as kids so I am starting a new post up in Daily Humor about our version of the "spud gun"!
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    Don't use hairspray, thats old school.

www.spudgun.com
    I am old school.

Well, the Savage 12 FV came through today.

Today was my qualification for the 600 yd range. Yesterday I installed the PST II scope, took it to a 100 yd range and fired 6 shots to sight it in then came home and reloaded 50 rounds. This morning I needed to hit a 12x12 steel at 350, 400, 450, 500, 550 and 600 yds, with only 10 shots at each stage.

This is the 3rd time I have fired this gun and only on 100 yd range. It was a challenge as the stock cheek pad and butt pad did not fit me right.

BUT I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad for a 70 yr old with high blood pressure.

Going to replace the stock with Boyd's AT-One stock. I have used Boyd's wood on one of my AR-15's and really like to look.

Basic Member
    I have a 12fv in a Boyd’s at one. Make sure when you order that you specify the wider barrel channel or call and speak to someone. The standard barrel channel on the Boyd’s will not accommodate the 12fv barrel contour without a lot of sanding and elbow grease. Mine turned out well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Good shooting Spudgun! I'm not far behind you and between eyes and aches & pains some days it's tough shooting like one would like to.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper99 View Post
    I have a 12fv in a Boyd’s at one. Make sure when you order that you specify the wider barrel channel or call and speak to someone. The standard barrel channel on the Boyd’s will not accommodate the 12fv barrel contour without a lot of sanding and elbow grease. Mine turned out well though.

Thanks for the heads up. On there website they list 4 kinds of stocks. 2, for bull barrels with blind mag and different receiver screw spacing and 2 for normal barrels with different receiver screw spacing. My gun has detachable staggered mag with bull barrel. Not sure which one with bull barrel to order. going to call them today..

How was the bedding pillars? Did you bed them of good fit?

Basic Member
    You will need to measure the distance between your action screws if you don’t know if your rifle is stagger feed or center feed. I think all the 12fv actions are centerfeed but don’t quote me on that. Your better off taking a measure and making sure before you call to order. You will need the bull barrel version and my guess is the 4.4” centerfeed model. Also the at one stocks are set up for a blind magazine so you will have to order that part from savage. To my knowledge all of the 12FV’s were blind mag rifles. Are you sure you have a 12FV? Perhaps some pictures would help.

I measured the distance between the mounting screws and it is the 4 7/16".

I think the one I need it the blind mag, center feed, bull barrel.

The other option is 4 9/32" between mounting screws and mine is more than that.

The mag does stay in the stock when removed.

However it is a staggered mag (like a AR mag and not single stack) Not sure what staggered feed means in this case.

Can't seem to figure out how to upload images into the text. I think I can only up load from a URL address, like photo bucket.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    I measured the distance between the mounting screws and it is the 4 7/16".

I think the one I need it the blind mag, center feed, bull barrel.

The other option is 4 9/32" between mounting screws and mine is more than that.

The mag does stay in the stock when removed.

However it is a staggered mag (like a AR mag and not single stack) Not sure what staggered feed means in this case.

Can't seem to figure out how to upload images into the text. I think I can only up load from a URL address, like photo bucket.
    Everything I've seen, "stagger feed" the magazine stays attached to the action when removing from stock. If your mag stays in the stock, it is a center feed.

I talked to Savage tech dept and I dont think they know what is what.

They claim that a center feed is like a single stack mag and the stagger feed is like a AR-15 mag.

Big frigg'n mystery...

I sent a email with pic's to Boyd's to see if they know.

It is most likely a center feed. The difference isn’t that the cartridges sit staggered because they do in both, however the centerfeed necks it down where only one cartridge is in the neck of the magazine.

Just got a email back from Boyds.

They say it's a short action, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel.

So i just ordered it and we will see.

Now I want to convert to single shot mag, but the conversion piece will not fit my mag.

Giong to have to make something up as I do not want to use the blind mag in the new stock.

Read somewhere that someone filled the mag area with a hard foam and converted it to single shot.

Should be be a big deal to do it.

Basic Member
    I have made several single shots from centerfeeds.
    First I make a "plate" from a piece of 1/8" plexiglass that just fits the cut_out at the bottom of the action. When a cartridge lays on it the bolt does not touch it but does catch the case easily. This plate can also be made from aluminum.
    I then cut a wood block to fit the mag well in the stock. The block needs to hold the plate up against the bottom of the action (snug but not tight).
    It took a few trys on the first one but once you get the "feel" for it they are pretty simple.
    You need no fasteners and simple to re-install when you have the action out of the stock.
    The small calibers like .223 & .221 fireball are a little trickier. You might have to "glue" an extra thickness of plexi on top of the plate.
    I have never tried these with a magnum caliber so I don't know how they would work. But cartridges like .260, 6.5 creed, 257 Bob AI and 30-06 all work well, just throw in the case and push it home.
    My .02,
    Randy

Basic Member
    Why can’t you just throw a cartridge in and push it home with the mag in the stock and use it like a single shot? Am I missing something? I keep two in a short action Precision side mount in case the stage called for 12 as I run 10 round me mags and just throw these in and close the bolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast