Thread: Accutrigger problems

Accutrigger problems

Guys, I don't post here much but do have question. On a recent PD hunt, my Savage Precision Target Action with the Accutrigger had a problem. After shooting it about 50-60 times the trigger would not stay cocked. A friend happened to have his trigger pull adjustment tool so we adjusted the trigger for a heavier pull to no avail. Matter of fact, we went through the whole range of adjustments from heaviest to lightest and back again and still would not stay cocked. I have shot this gun about 800 times and have never had a problem until now. We think the problem may lie with the sear.
    Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Thanks much and I'll wait for replies.

John

One thing to try is do your testing with the action out of the stock. While you are there you can make sure that all of the pins and springs are in place. At what lb pull was the highest before you gave up?

Hm, I was given some advice from my local gunsmith (Fultons at Bisley ranges U.K.) about the precision trigger on my Mod 12 LRP, and that was "Change It". He took the rifle, closed the bolt (empty chamber) and applied a very light sideways pressure to the trigger, and it "locked up" not allowing the firing pin to function. He stated that its a common problem with these triggers, some of which have to be stripped down to free them. Does anyone else have this problem?

Basic Member
    When I use improper technique and pull the trigger wrong, it does that too. I just learned to pull the trigger straight back (the way you should) and don't have that problem. I love my LRP trigger. They also have to be cleaned regularly.

To the OP, take the action out of the stock and observe what it does... it is really hard to tell otherwise.

Team Savage
    The OP's target Accutrigger sear is tripping when he works the bolt no matter how high he sets the pull. Sear does not stay in position. Problem occurs in or out of the the stock. Has anyone else had this problem? What was the fix? Adjusting the target trigger spring does not work.

I agree that you should use the trigger correctly, it goes without saying. However, I was very surprised at how little pressure was needed to lock up the firing pin and would be so easy to do when wearing a glove, brushing against the trigger when putting your finger through the guard, or even just resting your finger against the trigger prior to taking a shot (we all do it, don't we).
    I'm just surprised that that much thought had been put into this item, but then allowed this problem to sneak through. As mentioned in my post, this is an issue that crops up on a fairly regular basis according to my friend at Fultons.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ezmobile View Post
    I agree that you should use the trigger correctly, it goes without saying. However, I was very surprised at how little pressure was needed to lock up the firing pin and would be so easy to do when wearing a glove, brushing against the trigger when putting your finger through the guard, or even just resting your finger against the trigger prior to taking a shot (we all do it, don't we).
    I'm just surprised that that much thought had been put into this item, but then allowed this problem to sneak through. As mentioned in my post, this is an issue that crops up on a fairly regular basis according to my friend at Fultons.
    Cheers!
    That's because the trigger was specifically designed to do that as a safety feature. When a firearm is dropped it very rarely ever lands squarely on the butt in a perfectly vertical orientation in which any and all inertia energy would be acting on the trigger in a rearward direction. As such, when it falls in any other orientation inertia will apply force of varying degree to the side of the trigger. Without this safety feature said force from varying angles could result in the firearm discharging which is a bad thing.

Your gunsmith friends claim that "some of them have to be stripped down to free them" is complete B.S. All that happens when the AccuTrigger trips like this is the sear catches on the leading edge of the AccuBlade which locks the trigger to prevent it from being able to be pulled and fully releasing the sear to disengage the firing pin. (See this thread for detailed pics: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...en-bolt-closed) Simply recocking the rifle (lifting the bolt fully and lowering it back down) resets the sear and trigger to it's normal ready-to-fire state.

I've owned dozens of AccuTrigger equipped rifles over the last 15-16 years and scores more have passed through my hands during the same span of time for review/testing. In all that time and with all those AccuTrigger equipped firearms I've only ever had said safety feature trip on me three times, and all three times was while wearing very heavy winter gloves and the glove drug across the blade when I was inserting my finger into the trigger guard. All three times I heard the tattle-tale "click" of the sear partially dropping and being caught by the AccuBlade and I immediately knew what had happened and recocked the rifle before even getting my head down behind the scope.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

And That!!!!! Is the name of that tune.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    That's because the trigger was specifically designed to do that as a safety feature. When a firearm is dropped it very rarely ever lands squarely on the butt in a perfectly vertical orientation in which any and all inertia energy would be acting on the trigger in a rearward direction. As such, when it falls in any other orientation inertia will apply force of varying degree to the side of the trigger. Without this safety feature said force from varying angles could result in the firearm discharging which is a bad thing.

Your gunsmith friends claim that "some of them have to be stripped down to free them" is complete B.S. All that happens when the AccuTrigger trips like this is the sear catches on the leading edge of the AccuBlade which locks the trigger to prevent it from being able to be pulled and fully releasing the sear to disengage the firing pin. (See this thread for detailed pics: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...en-bolt-closed) Simply recocking the rifle (lifting the bolt fully and lowering it back down) resets the sear and trigger to it's normal ready-to-fire state.

I've owned dozens of AccuTrigger equipped rifles over the last 15-16 years and scores more have passed through my hands during the same span of time for review/testing. In all that time and with all those AccuTrigger equipped firearms I've only ever had said safety feature trip on me three times, and all three times was while wearing very heavy winter gloves and the glove drug across the blade when I was inserting my finger into the trigger guard. All three times I heard the tattle-tale "click" of the sear partially dropping and being caught by the AccuBlade and I immediately knew what had happened and recocked the rifle before even getting my head down behind the scope.
    Its interesting that you quote my friend as talking B.S. re: the trigger mechanism. I personally can't remember seeing anything on their blurb about this being a "safety feature" if the rifle is dropped - if it is, perhaps they should broadcast it a little louder. My buddy, Colin Shorthouse (AKA, the Bullshitter) showed me how this happens, then got me to do it. it took just a couple of ounces (no more) of slight sideways pressure, before there was a slight "click" and the bolt was locked - as predicted. And, I've gotta say, as he's not here to defend his position, I have to take issue with him being labelled a Bullshitter. He's one of the finest shooters I've ever met, from a long line of shooters, as well as working for quite a number of years in what is probably the "premier" gunsmiths (Fultons) in this country, certainly as far as target rifles are concerned (in business for over 150 yrs) and operates at the NRA (G.B.) shooting center, Bisley Ranges. He doesn't operate out of a garden shed or his old lady's kitchen table!
    Anyhow, I'll see him in a couple of days and I'll pass on your best wishes.

Do what you must, I just stated the facts regarding the AccuTrigger.

I don't know your friend from Joe Blow, but I'm sure he meant well with his advice. However, even the most learned and knowledgeable individuals in a profession can't/don't know everything, and clearly in this case he wasn't aware that it's a specific design feature of the trigger system or if he does he obviously failed to convey that information on to you.

You're not the first to come through here making such arguments against the AccuTrigger, and surely you won't be the last. It's not a design that everyone is going to like, but claiming it's a poor design or defective just because you personally don't like it or understand it isn't an accurate or fair assertion. Savage has sold millions upon millions of AccuTrigger equipped rifles over the last 15-16 years, and if it were as flawed or defective as you would like to assert they would have been sued multiple times now and be in the same boat Remington Arms has been in with their triggers for the last decade or so.

In the OP's case with the inadvertent tripping issue at any adjustment level it sounds more like a tolerance or worn part issue. Could be he got a sear or trigger shoe that wasn't properly hardened or was right on the outer limit of being withi spec. Could be a pin walked out a little and is allowing the trigger assembly to move around a little as can happen if they're installed from the wrong side.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Just to piggy-back on ^^^

Everybody and their brother has an accutrigger knockoff it seems now. The savage is the best of the lot.

To get back on point, something is obvisously worn to the point that it needs some attention. Might try manually applying forward pressure on the trigger while closing the bolt and see what happens.

Basic Member
    I was at the range a couple of weeks ago, fella there was having a lot of trouble getting his Savage to group anything near decent. Said it'd had been his go-to deer and pig rifle for 8 years. Never a problem until now. Wouldn't group, trigger kept locking up.

We talked a bit about the normal routine cleaning and maintenance stuff, he assured me everything was in order and well maintained. I suggested we start with the basics and asked if I may check his action screw torque. He agreed.

I found both action screws were between one and two complete turns loose. By that I mean not just backed off to where they were loose, but two complete turns past that point and the barreled action was loose in the stock. I pulled the action out of the stock and the trigger pin was out of the hole on one side, so I fixed that right away.

I set the barreled action straight in the stock, and torqued the front to 65 in lbs and the rear to 20. His first shot went in the 10 ring with next two making about a minute group.

I re-torqued the rear screw to 25 in lbs and the next 3 shot group was half that size.

No more trigger or grouping issues. I recommended a better cleaning routine and gave him links to follow to buy cleaning supplies. Needless to say, he was tickled his favorite Savage was shooting again.

That was not the first time I have provided that service to a fellow shooter at the range. Take it for what it's worth.

Good shooting!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

I received the two model 16's I ordered for my son and daughter and was telling them about this feature. To my surprise, I could not get the sear to trip by side loading the trigger, and I applied a good bit of pressure. Should I be concerned that the safety feature apparently isn't working?

Quote Originally Posted by Phideaux View Post
    I received the two model 16's I ordered for my son and daughter and was telling them about this feature. To my surprise, I could not get the sear to trip by side loading the trigger, and I applied a good bit of pressure. Should I be concerned that the safety feature apparently isn't working?
    you want to test pull the trigger rearward just using edge. It will get caught by the accutrigger blade. Side pressure generally should not cause the sear to trip.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Another thing to look for

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    One thing to try is do your testing with the action out of the stock. While you are there you can make sure that all of the pins and springs are in place. At what lb pull was the highest before you gave up?
    Another thing to do at the same is check the slot where the sear engages to see if it "gunked" up. Saw a thread regarding that very issue, and once the slot was cleand out, it was back to normal function.

Basic Member
    As above, make sure everything else is properly torqued.

I am happy that the trigger locks when pushed or pulled sideways. It is good training.

I use my rifle for benchrest only and found a happy medium of a 8 oz. pull.

My Target Accutrigger actually ceased to work after about 1500 rounds. I tried everything. It wouldn't work even out of the stock. You may have a problem with import-export laws. I believe you are in the U.K. I sent mine to Savage. They replaced the entire trigger assembly. No charge. Never had a problem since.

And how is that 204 by the way?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Accutrigger discriminates against arthritic fingers! Been reading this thread and just shot my granddaughters Savage /accutrigger. I had three malfunctions. My trigger finger is badly bent from arthritis and I can't put straight back pressure on the trigger. I guess it worked like it is supposed to. She has no problem with it.

Do I have grounds for a suit against Savage for age discrimination.

Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Accutrigger discriminates against arthritic fingers! Been reading this thread and just shot my granddaughters Savage /accutrigger. I had three malfunctions. My trigger finger is badly bent from arthritis and I can't put straight back pressure on the trigger. I guess it worked like it is supposed to. She has no problem with it.

Do I have grounds for a suit against Savage for age discrimination.

Bill
    Bill:

Don't mess with no corporate lawyers from Connecticut.

You may need a different trigger. Be aware the Sav-2 trigger for red blade Accutrigger is a bear to install and uses the Savage trigger housing and some parts. With arthritis, you may have a problem. I did the job, used it, and reinstalled my Accutrigger.