Thread: Detachable Magazines: model 14 vs model 10 compatibility

Basic Member

Detachable Magazines: model 14 vs model 10 compatibility

Anyone who read my last post probably remembers I'm the guy trying to fit a top-release chassis to a bottom-release rifle...
    As a second option, I can always just buy a factory used accustock for cheap or (blasphemy!), a factory walnut stock.

Basically any part place I go (Numrich in particular) lists model 14 magazines as separate from model 10 magazines, but are they interchangeable?

PS: question for all/any savage 10-tr or 10-fcp or 10-fcp-sr owners, how's the balance with the polymer beavertail stock?

Wouldn't be able to use an AccuStock (or AccuFit stock) without pulling off the barrel and changing the recoil lug as those stocks use one that's shorter and shaped a little differently.

As for the magazine compatibility, all of the Savage's made since 2008 use the same center-feed magazine housings (the upper metal part of the magazine) - except those using the AICS mags in recent years. What mag you can use really depends more on the stock you have. Your Trophy Hunter uses the Axis style magazine with the integrated retention clip on the plastic bottom cap. The Model 14 walnut stocks (and all the Accu stocks) use the Premium style magazine (metal bottom cap) that uses a separate bottom metal that the stock is inlet to accept. As such you would need the stock, the separate bottom metal, and the metal magazine bottom plate to put a walnut Model 14 stock on your current rifle.

I know, it's confusing - you can thank Savage for their inability to just pick one and use it across their whole product line.

Here's a short write-up and video I put together a few months back that might make it a little easier to understand.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...is-and-Premium
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks....I guess no accustock for me.
    I'm having a hard time finding any factory bottom metal for the 10/14 rifles, at least from Numrich, which is basically where I source all my random parts.
    They have accustocks complete with all the bottom metal (so I'd just have to buy magazines, which they also have), but as you said I'd have to remove the barrel, which is more effort than it's worth.

How do you feel about AICS bottom metal (if I can find any north of the border [ie: Canada]) on a walnut stock?
    EDIT: Actually, do you know of any way to convert a .223 to a blind magazine rifle?

If you want to switch to a blind magazine it's as simple as popping the plastic bottom cap off your existing detachable magazine and putting the spring/follower and metal housing into a blind magazine stock. Only part you will have to source is the little metal L-bracket that's used to hang the rear of the housing at the right height.

On the factory bottom metal, I don't know of anyone stocking it so you're basically looking at getting it direct from Savage and it will run you around $120 or so IIRC. They also have their own AICS compatible bottom metal that's used on the current 110 Scout and 110 Tactical rifles.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I feel like the factory 110 scout and/or tactical rifle bottom metal wouldn't fit my model 11, wouldn't the whole top/bottom bolt release thing prevent that?

Either way, my local gun shop is an authorized savage dealer, so I can allegedly order parts through them.

Yeah, the bottom bolt release won't work with the factory AICS bottom metal.

You're finding out why I always tell people not to buy the cheapest model to start to build off of. It's a lot easier and often cheaper to just buy the more expensive model that already has 90% of what you want on it.

Basic Member
    Yep. I just kinda figured that savage would use the same bolt release on all their rifles. At least I have some options though. I emailed PTG and they say that I can order bottom-release AICS bottom metal, so I can try that...