Thread: What did I buy?

Basic Member

What did I buy?

I just purchased a used receiver (Std/small thread) and bolt (.308 bolt head) The serial number is F 6934XX. It was in a closed bottom, all weather stock and when I first saw it, was barreled in 22-250. That barrel has been cut to 17 inches and now has a spot in rotation on my striker. < 1/2 MOA.

As the title asks, What did I buy? I ordered up an Excaliber stainless barrel in .458 SOCOM, 1 in 10 twist, to build a hotrod pig killer for the swamps here in South Florida. Suppressed, heavy, 5-600 Grain lead flat point, subsonic thumper. (as I have read here before, "sometimes, it is perfectly acceptable to kill gnats, with a freight train")

It looks, to me like a 110, but is shorter than my 112FV Can somebody tell me, from the ser. number, what it really is?

Any thoughts on what I'm building?

TIA

Paul in da swamp

Basic Member
    You have a second generation short action flat top stagger feed. Model 10, 11 or 12. You'll have dismal luck trying to get .458 SOCOM to feed from that magazine, and even less luck finding a stagger feed mag that will work.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Not sure if it's too late to cancel your barrel order, but I agree with sharpshooter. The shoulder angle on the SOCOM will cause trouble. If you want a caliber to thump hogs, check out the 338 Federal. It will work well in a short action and components would be easy to find if you reload.

Basic Member
    Wow, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the input. ever since I got the .458 SOCOM running well in the AR she's been the tall red head in stiletto's, I just can't look away. The biggest limitation in the AR is cartridge OAL. it's just too short in the magazine to feed really long bullets, seated to touch the lands, for maximum powder capacity. The Savage 10 will lift that limitation.

The AR is about 6 pounds lighter than my Sharps in 45-70, with nearly identical ballistics with 350 and 405 Grain bullets. As a 24 inch barrel, with a can, it might be more than I want, but shorter is easy.

I built an AXIS in 7.62 X 25,and 22 TCM, the feeding was a long hunt, but brute force, ignorance and perseverance won the day, I think the same will hold true with the .458. (it has to be easier with one round than finding a happy place for two)

Thanks again, I'll post more when the barrel get's here in 6 to 8 weeks...

Paul

OK then. The 375 Raptor

Basic Member
    I gotta ask, Have you never seen a 6 foot tall Redbone in heels and a black dress?

Paul

Basic Member
    Help again please. I spent the day looking for a one piece scope mount base. No luck. Lots that say 10 (weaver #46) but none that call out flat top or different weaver/ redfield base mumbers for front and rear. What's up? or am I just missing the good stuff?

With the "rainbow" trajectory of the really heavy bullets, should I consider a 10 or 20 moa rise in the bases? I've selected a NC Star red dot for close up and low light swamp conditions as well as a 4 X 12 X 44 Simmons for detail work, both with QD medium rings, now I just need a source for mounts. Any help is sincerely appreciated...

Paul in da swamp