Hello All,
I thought I would drop a line of encouragement to those newSavage shooters who may be struggling with their rifles.
I have finally collected everything needed to begin loaddevelopment for my 111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag and have begun rangetesting. Frankly, I was very disappointed with the accuracy I was getting withmy rig. Leupold 4.5 x 14 – 50mm scope mounted on Weaver Picatinny rail withWeaver Skeleton rings.
Savage said they use Federal Premium ammunition loadedwith Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip projectiles for testing purposes at the factory.I have excellent experience using the 140-grain projectile in my 7-08 RemingtonModel Seven, so I purchased 4 boxes of said 150 grain fodder. After somedisappointing results with the rings, I finally was able to permanently attachthe telescopic sights and begin work.
I started barrel break-in as proscribed on the Savageweb-site
160 FC BT: couldn’t hit the side of a barn (figuratively)…3-4-inchgroups.
Hand loaded Hornady 162 grain ELD-X…just as bad.
In desperation​, I purchased one box of WW with Nosler 168 grain AccuBond LongRange.
This last time, I stayed with the Winchester load and fired15-rounds at six-minute intervals (yes, I use a timer). The barrel neverexceeded 85 degrees F (Yes, I use an infrared thermometer). The group covered 2˝ tall by 2 inches wide with two, one-hole clusters. I like clusters, so Ithought maybe something was going on. Mind you, I have tightened the action,base and ring screws using a torque wrench and completed relieving the barrelchannel for zero interference with the AccuStock (I had found two, rather largeareas that were touching the barrel in a supposedly “free-floating” system).
Then, I went back to the original 150 FC load and produced athree-shot cluster you could cover with a nickel (this all at 100 yards)!
I switched back to my Hornady hand-crafted loading and didexactly the same thing!
Perhaps, the barrel has just now come into its own? I amgoing to do some Sierra 168 brain HPBT Gameking loads for my next trip andre-try the other offerings again.
What I’m saying is: Don’t give up hope.